1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Poor are we, computer addicts

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by chevalier, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I’ve had a lot of these happen, too. Similar to Malovae’s Vandal Hearts problem, after playing a couple of solid weeks of Fantasy General, I saw a hex grid superimposed on everything… it was like there was an afterimage burnt into my retina. It was somewhat distracting, but went away after a few days.

Hax0r, Sux0r, and Rox0r are now part of my RL vocab. Some of my friends use it, too. It’s not uncommon to have one of us say “you sux0rs so hard la~” out loud. I actually threw that particular one at my mum one day, only to cop “YOU are suck; I am rule” back from her… it seems people pick it up pretty quickly.

By far my funniest “get a grip” moment happened when I was studying at Uni. Four of five of us had brought our computers over to a mate’s place and set up a LAN. We spent most of the night playing TFC (Team Fortress Classic – a multiplayer FPS based on the Halflife engine). TFC has various classes you can play as, and it seemed everyone’s favourite that evening was the sniper. When playing a sniper, to do more damage, you hold the fire button down to “build” your shot. While you do this, your gun projects a red dot on its target. If you’re aiming directly at someone’s head, they will see a red light shining in their eyes. Because they usually die about 1/2 of a second later, people freak out when they see that light. It becomes a reflex to sidestep or duck. Anyway, we finished up at about 3 in the morning, and started packing our gear up. As I didn’t have a car at that stage, a mate was driving me home. I was loading the last of the gear into the boot of his car as he sat down in the driver’s seat and touched the brake. This of course turned the brake lights on. Because of my position, the red of the lights shone straight into my eyes. I skipped sideways and wound up in a bush in the adjacent garden. I explained myself when I had stopped laughing, and the “what the hell are you doing?” looks of the witnesses turned to laughter, too.

2. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Phew! Thank God this was posted... I got some relief now... I thought I was a nut case years ago. But now I see we all share a common view and a few oddities as well. :tie:

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I use these words regurarly:

w00t w00t

lol

d00d

I also keep thinking what alignment Bush and other famous people have.

I am currently leaning towards Chaotic Evil for him, but that is not to be discussed here. :D

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I've learned binary, and when I started doing some simple mathematics with it, I found out it was much easier than with regular numbers. Somehow it also makes more sense to count this way.

11 + 100 = 111

111 + 1010 = 10001

10001 + 1110 = 11111

I used adding as an example. Do you see how logical this is?

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Isn't HEXX better?

But once I made up a hexxa-whatever (36) system for a program I was writing :shake: :lol:

All digits plus letters up to Z

Z9A8K3 :lol:

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Once I read I post about some guy playing so much racing games and doing things like searching the reset button, well, I thought that is too much... well...
    Last month, after played NFS Underground for 6 months, I had an accident,after just hit a tree, I searched for "that" button...
    I was on a long - straight road, so when I got about 100km/h, instantly I tried to press space bar... the one I use to NOS...
    Crazy man, one day I'll kill myself...
    Best regards

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I've been playing with knives since I saw Alice.
    Look out for monsters if I enter an unknown place.
    Look for dialog options when I try to pick up a girl.
    Been thinking certain food made me larger or smaller...

8. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Saying LOL out loud, puting smily faces in school essays..I've been playing everquest a lot lately and there is a big use of the word "noob" so I had toi stop myself in school once from saying "stfu your a stupid noob who doesn't know how to play his class" :p

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I say lol and stuff like that in RL, also I had things like searching for the save/compile button while posting on a forum

10. chevalier

Media:
    Ever held a weapon and wondered what BAB or Thac0 you have?

11. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] No when I hold a weapon I search for monsters to kill..even worse I guess!

12. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I once said LOL in RL... fortunately no-one understood it...
    Every time I meet (or even simply see) someone I try to figure out his alignment, his stats etc.

This happens to me not only with weapons... it works the same with wooden sticks, umbrellas and the such :D :rolleyes:

13. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

No, but how much *DAMAGE* I would/could do. :evil:

14. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I sometimes think stuff like "It doesn't matter if I screw up, I can always reload" "I better save my game" :p

15. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Ever looked for a pause button? I did today :p

16. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Whenever I'm gonna type "What the hell?" I ALWAYS type "What in the nine hells?.
    Doesn't fit in Star Wars Galaxies, if you ask me :p

17. chevalier

Media:
    @Jesper: Life is an ironman game. You can't reload and when you're dead, you're dead. :D

18. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

@Chevalier: Yes, unfortunately. And you can't use Shadowkeeper either :p

19. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Wanting to speed up waiting situations after playing "The Sims" for hours!

Saying LOL in public!

Dreaming in "Baldur's Gate" view - yes, happened to me last summer (4 weeks BG straight)...

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Two months ago I was either very drunk or very very tired. My bank account was running low and I went to www.gamefaqs.com looking for a cheat to give me more money...

Worst thing was, failing to find any mention of the game "Simon's Life" I figured there weren't any cheats so I'd have to make my own trainer.

I spent the next 30 minutes using 'GameHack' looking for the "Simon's Life" process.

___

I say "lol" in real life sometimes.

___

I wish I could reload a previous save.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.