1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ethnic Cuisine

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Splunge, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm pretty sure this has been done before, but with the discussion in the Alley around immigration, and with my love of ethnic foods, I’m wondering what everybody’s favorite ethnic food is. For the sake of clarity, I’m defining “ethnic food” as coming not from your country of origin; so for example, a third (or earlier) generation Canadian couldn’t select ‘steak’, and a Japanese-American couldn’t choose sushi.

For me, I’d have to say Vietnamese food. Here in Winnipeg, we have a large number of high-quality, reasonably-priced Vietnamese restaurants, all of which serve wonderful dishes.

So, what are your favorites?

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm Irish by descent, but my favorite 'ethnic' food comes from clear across the globe -- sushi.

For those of you who don't know where that comes from...well, you probably can't read this anyway.

And do Canadians really get credit for steak? Was a Canadian who first decided to roast some cow flesh and eat it?

If so, I apologize for any appearance of facetiousness in those questions.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

My favourite ethnic food would be Japanese. Just the variety is amazing. Then there is the presentation and all the nifty accessories and side dishes. Yakitori is in at the moment. 10/10.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'd choose a nice Thai Green Curry or some Thai Fried Chicken with Garlic, Oyster Sauce, and Cashew Nuts.

Or maybe Claypot Chicken with Chinese Mushrooms.

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I'm all about some good ol' Mexican food. Give me some nice beef tamales with a chili con queso, and I am about as happy as they come. Enchiladas (with green chile sauce - the only way to go!) and Fajitas (I make my own fajita spice) are personal favorites.

6. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Asian foods. Chinese, Thai, Veitnamese, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian, and of course Filipino.

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I haven't really tried a lot of different ethnic cuisines as such, I don't ind a bit of Chinese from local restaurants but it's hard to find Chinese done properly. I like a bit of Mexican though. But as for individual dishes, I LOVE Beef Stroganoff (sp?)

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Greek cuisine is really nice. Spanokopita (spinach pie) is one of my favorites. Actually just about anything with goat-feta cheese in it is good. Calamari, baklava, tzatziki (that wonderful garlic, dill, and yoghurt sauce), and dolmades (grape leaves stuffed with rice or meat) are all very delicious.

[ June 17, 2004, 08:18: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

9. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Canadian here, loving Greek and Chinese food. I love that, in Toronto, one can find just about any type of food for a fairly reasonable price.

10. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Another sushi fan here.

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Italian. I am a pasta freak.

12. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indian/Vietnamese/Thai/Cambodian...not entirely sure; but my favourite dish (as I've said elsewhere on the Boards) is the curry chicken on steamed rice served at this one restaurant which advertises the above types of food...

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Indian guy here...love Chinese and Italian cuisines. Chinese because it just tastes so good, and um...Italian because that tastes great as well. :p

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

My fav cuisine is is a mixture of Surinam and Caribbean recipes, such as Roti, Moksi Meti, and Pom.

[ June 17, 2004, 14:45: Message edited by: Pac man ]

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Italian and Chinese. Not particularly adventurous, but there you go.

16. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Chinese
    Italian
    Mexican
    Japanese
    Indian
    Greek

That's an approximate order, and subject to change based on phase of the moon, how long it's been since I've eaten a particular cuisine, what color shirt my husband is wearing, how many time Bushie said "nuculer" in a public broadcast that day...

;) :roll: ;) :roll: ;)

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No. I just used that as an example because I don't think too many Canadians (or Americans) whose families have been here for a few generations would consider a "standard" steak to be "ethnic" food. Might not have been a good example, though, since in retrospect, I'm not sure how many cultures would consider steak to be an ethnic food.

18. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mexican
    Italian

I used to like Mexican, but ever since beginning to date my wife I have liked it quite a lot more. The fact that she is Mexican and introduced me to real authentic cuisine may have something to do with that. :D

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like Italian food most.

Well, truth be told. Italian is the only foriegn food I can eat.

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I only eat sausages and chips with lots of HP.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.