1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cheap living

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sarevok•, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I would like to move to another country in the near future but I would be looking for somewhere with low low taxes, and plenty of work. Could any of you tell me a little bit about your country?

Only Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Portugal, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Holland.

Thanks

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Holland isn't exactly known for its low taxes, and houses are pretty expensive here.

The availablity of work kinda depends on what you do for a living. If you work in the IT, Holland may not be your best option.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

The netherlands:

High high high taxes!

About the work oppurtunities here, I think we have high quality jobs here but can be very hard to get.

What are your degrees of school or interest?

:yot:

I am now officialy member of the 1K club, yay me :cool:

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] That's funny...I wouldn't mind moving to the UK right about now...There or Russia.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For what you seem to be after I think I would recommend Portugal. Atleast for the taxes and the living, not that I am an expert but I know that the others arent exactly famed for low taxes and cheap living. As for work I think it is pretty much the same everywhere. It depends on your degrees and yourself.

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sweden have the highest taxes in the world, so I guess we are out of the question. Norway, on the other hand, have really low taxes, or so I've heard.

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The taxes in Finland are higher than in Sweden... or at least near. :p

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

IIRC, it's Sweden that comes first, Finland second when it comes to taxes. We have a steady unemployment rate of about 10%, which is a bit high for a developed country. Jobs are hard to get and thsoe that are available usually need one degree or another (or >5 years at the "market"). ATM, companies are moving to cheap-workforce countries, thus I'd expect unemployment to rise.

Personally, I would move after the jobs to China (and perhaps do, once I have my papers/get to abroad program). From what I have heard, Ph.D's aren't a commonplace there, and developing economy == good chances for highly-educated. :)

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31

The taxes in the Scandinavian countries may be much higher than elsewhere, but the salaries they pay there, are also much higher than in any other country, so basically it's all the same. A friend of mine from Norway makes more than 50$ an hour, being in construction, but if you have to pay more than 30$ for a friggin case of beer, his money isn't worth half as much as mine.

Holland wouldn't be such a bad choice really. We have high taxes, but most of thenm aren't applicable on foreigners who come to work here. Houses are expensive, but if they're out of your league, you can get support form the government, they'll subsidize and you'll be able to live in an otherwise unreachable house.

Our economy is dwindling though, every month there are thousands of new unemployeds, so jobwise Holland wouldn't be such a good choice right now.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Here is the UK income tax rates etc, how does that compare with your country? If you can give me, the income tax/vat rates etc in your country it would help. I really couldn’t imagine taxes and things any higher then in the UK but I have no idea. We have every kind of tax you can think of in the UK. Do you guys know how much and how many taxes we pay in Britain? I really need to know these rates etc so if you could go into detail it would help.

11. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

At this adress to Skatteverket , you'll find a .pdf document with a summary of the tax statistical yearbook...

Dunno if it helps... But, as said above, we have the highest taxes... :(

12. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Depends on your profession. Every country has it's needs. Companies in Germany search for physicists, chemists and suchlike, because few people choose those lines of profession here. Whith economics or medicine, your chances are lower.

Tax rates are nominal high, but real rates are of the lowest in Europe, if you got a good tax accountant. There are numerous exceptions and backdoors in our tax law. And a real reform is not in sight. :rolleyes:

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Mk I have found the rates etc and it appears the UK is not so bad after all. I have found Switzerland has the lowest taxes in the EU only 7.5% whereas in Sweden and Denmark it is 25%, which is the highest in the EU. So what is Switzerland like? Is there any Swiss on the boards?

14. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Iago is from Switzerland but Switzerland isn't a member of EU.

15. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I actually pay 50% in taxes and so. they make up all kinds of cool taxes one has to pay, so with my minimum wages i have to pay 50%. still after taxes and when i get my SU (which is some money i get for studieng) I still get about 4500 kr pr month, wich rufly is about 640 Dollars(US). wich is okay for 11 hours(a week) of work and school.

[ June 06, 2004, 22:50: Message edited by: Equester ]

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I spoke to someone about it so it is ok now thanks for your info I am grateful

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31

The Swiss make extremely smelly cheese, you don't wanna go there. :D

18. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

They make great chocolate though

19. Sadistic Butcher Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

You could always move to the USA! We'll hire anyone with a British accent ;) .

20. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Or come to Holland and get paid for NOT working :xx: YAY
    You will unfortunately be taxed out of it again though

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.