1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sore Fingers?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by people person-i eat people, Apr 11, 2004.

1. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I started to see if anyone else gets sore fingers after typing too much, because right now my fingers are really hurting because i have been on msn, and this for several hours straight with doing a lot of typing and i was wondering if it just me with my weak, easily breakable fingers or does it happen to other people?? (but i want to continue typing even through the pain, yeh im harcore! joke.)

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sore fingers? You better back off from your pc or you will get RTS and things like that. If you get pain from typing then stop immediately.
    Typing for hours on end is very bad for you; just sitting at your pc for that long is terrible.

3. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

good plan, but i wanna talk to my friends on msn......... :(

4. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I can say with complete honesty that this has never happened to me, maybe it is just your easily breakable fingers but odds are good you need a new keyboard.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

No problems here either.

6. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Manybe if you got finger warmers, or gloves or some such it would reduce the chance of sore fingers. If it persist you should invest in some soothing turnip finger lotion. I use it so I can type research essays for a whole day at a time.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you keep typing through the pain, you will most likely end up with an repetitive strain injury of some sort. And that can be hell to get rid of.

The main prevention is to take regular short breaks from the keyboard every half an hour or so. The pain comes from the small muscles in your hands and forearms being tense for long periods.

Once you get the pain, then rest and ice are the main cures, I'm afraid.

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Dont worry, while you still have fingers it's O.K.

Now when you'e coming to the critical phase, like chev for instance, when you're typing with the last knuckles on your hands. Then it's time to insert wooden fingers on your remaining fingers ;)

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i played games too much and often result in back and shoulder pain. Recently, i too experience my index finger cannot bend without hurting it. i am falling apart. Should i start a goodbye to all thread before i die?

10. Takara

Media:
    Yeah that back and shoulder pain can be a real killer. I normally get it after 5-6 hours, or how stressed the games making me. Although I'm sure there are many remedies, (insert miscellaneous turnip cure), I found I just push through it and hope to come out the other side.

11. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The ultimate solution is to step away from the computer...

12. Takara

Media:
    Nooo... Can't do that. It'd never forgive me.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Time to learn to live with it, I think. My fingers hurt all the time, as does most of my palms area. It's a part of me, I guess.

14. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

thanks for all the advice guys and ill think ill just take the idea of taking a break from the computer if they become sore, like my mum always says i should get out more

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Great idea, 8people; keep it at least 2 weeks without any kind of comp-stuff. :D

(Under disguise, aren't you? :shake: J/K; "AtePeople.")

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, getting out more would be a fabulous idea.

17. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I never have sore fingers, but I used to get a pain in my mouse hand, just below the palm, after long sessions of BG/IWD. It felt like my hand weighed 100 pounds.

18. Takara

Media:
    In tie fighter there is one simulator battle which is constant dog fighting for 2-3 hours. After that my right hand feels like it needs a 2 week holiday.

19. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I get sore fingers too, so I try every solution I read in the net to avoid Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI).

I have an original Logitech Marble FX mouse because it does not require small wrist movements like regular mouse. The original ambidextrous Logitech Marble Mouse was even better (allowing you to swap your mouse hand when one got tired) but I lost my Marble Mouse and Logitech have stopped making them :cry: .

The new Logitech versions are prettier to enhance sales, but have lost the ergonomic excellence of the original versions. (The original marble mouse looked like a rat with a hemorrhoid but it was sooooo comfortable that I regularly mourn its passing into the ugly-reject bin of history.)

When I make my 'mouse hand' sore playing an RTS game for 12-18 hours straight, the other hand get sore in sympathy.

I read that on some older keyboards with micoswitches, the clicking action felt as the key strikes the finger as it returns to its original position was linked to a 'white finger' pain in some people's hands.

Continously striking the keys too hard causes pain. I have had to teach myself to push the keys gently rather than strike them loudly. It isn't nearly as much fun but it works. I have also got an angled 'natural' keyboard with a soft key action. My laptop's membrane keyboard is blissfully soft too but awkward due to its size and layout.

I recently heard and read that the reason that fingers get sore typing and not during other activities when they are worked just as hard is because typing is a passive activity and the heart rate is too low to keep the active finger muscles supplied with sufficient blood to prevent cramping. Exercising briefly when typing for long periods can't hurt, so I do it. Caution! Flapping like a bird while sitting in front of a computer may cause distress or uncontrollable fits of laughter in those around you.

RSI is of course no joke if you want to work using computers as a designer etc. Employers can expect you to type for eight hours a day and they treat carpal tunnel syndrome litigation as an expense, not a reason to alter computer use patterns.

Wrist rests were claimed to make typing more comfortable but instead they increase the chances of getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by compressing the Carpal Tunnel.

There are loads of sites about RSI on the net that tell you to keep your wrist straight etc. Its all good advice to take even if your hands have never hurt, because the damage occurs without being felt, and people only feel sore after the damage has been done.

After reading some of the web stuff, I now have a comb stuck under my watch strap and extended above my wrist, to see how often I bend my wrist too far back (bad) when using my computer. :heh:

20. people person-i eat people Gems: 5/31

this might seem a little bit off topic, but right now i have really sore legs and it hurts when i walk, but that is because i just did close to 2 hours of very strenuous soccer training

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.