1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sir Sarles quest - how can I keep my illithium?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Vicsun, May 26, 2001.

1. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] I recently started playing bg2 again, after a pause, in which I was playing Torment.
    I was wandering, is it possible to finish the Sir Sareals quest AND upgrade the mase of Disruptoin. This should be possible. I would understand if one of those two is Evil and you could finish only one of them depending on what your allangiment is, but the Sareals quest is for a church, and the mace destroys mainly undead, which are Evil, so both quests are for good ppl. I tried giving him the alloy, but he recognised it, and i blew the quest, although I had a rep of 20 and a charisma of 25 (muliple cast of Friends). How can I keep my illithium to upgrade the mace?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Just return with the alloy, the temple of helm seems to appreciate more, because it is more rough than illithium and in that way, more represents helm

3. Vicsun Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] I never actually thought of returning the alloy to Helm, not to Sareales. Thanx.

Update: I just tried it. Who am i supposed to speek to in the temple? The guy that gave me the quest says that i shouldn't return till i've convinsed Sareals to make it.

[This message has been edited by Vicsun (edited May 26, 2001).]

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

oh yeah, thats right, it's the guy that gives the second quest when you normally have given sarles the real illithium. He's near the exit, just say sarles was unreasonable or something

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited May 26, 2001).]

5. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31

If you get the real and the fake illithium you need to stash the real ore before going and seeing Sir Sarles otherwise he will take the real ore.When you give him the fake he leaves town so you have completed your quest in that you have prevented him from creating something for another temple. When you go back to the temple the High Priest will say that you did a better job.

6. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If you play an evil character, you could just give the illthium to Sir Sarles, kill him and take it back off his corpse, then upgrade the mace. Pickpocketing doesn't work - I've tried :(.

7. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Just give him the fake, he'll recognise it and leave, then go to helm temple and you'll get the helm of glory, second best helm in the game, after baldurans helm. Then go to guy in docks with the real ore and forge the mace, I did it this way and I like it...!

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed, and there's no difference in the reward between giving the real or the fake ilithium ore. So why shouldn't you? The Mace of Disruption +2 is realy a strong weapon for a Ranger or Cleric in a battle against undead (like vampires)

Punisher ----> here we go again? :p

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 28, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.