1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by maxiwoo, Apr 26, 2001.

1. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm going solo as a kensai halfling with keldorn. Don't tell me this is stupid, i know.

What items should i use to lower my ac?

2. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

okay

the thing i am going to say

you *will* die!! you have no mage, no clerics or healing seems as Keldorn is an Iquisitor.

i would try a fighter/mage/cleric with Keldorn. You may satnd a *bit* more of a chance!

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I say go for it!

Keldorn can handle mages pretty well with his Dispel Magic and True Sight.
    In fights, after Keldorn has engaged the enemy, you jump in and can really carve in on them with your good THAC0.

Halfling is a bit odd since you get lower strength, but I'm sure you know how to handle that. :)

- Equipment is pretty normal:
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Protection
    Cloak of the Sewers
    Edited: Ops, forget this! -> Helm of Balduran (several good helmets)Thanks for pointing this out maxiwoo.

Will you dual wield or use Single Weapon Style? I'd recommend Single Weapon Style. Better AC and the extra critical hits may compensate for the extra attack from your secondary hand.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited April 26, 2001).]

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I don´t have a problem with the halfling race, however, your party seroiusly lacks cleric/ mage support in my eyes ... good fun anyway ;) the various girdles of strength will make up the lack of strength soon.

Handy items would be ring of Gaxx, Ring of protection +2, single weapon style, this rose ionstone/ Boots of avoidance or the girdle of piercing and a weapon that additionally lowers your AC like Dakkhon´s Zerthblade/ Malakar/ Defender of Easthaven aso

Cleric/ Mage support means: They could cast Ironskin/ stoneskin/ armor on you to lower your AC ...
    You´ll seriously need 18 dex (dex-19 is a waste on a kensai for he can´t use missile weapons so it just wastes a slot for it doesn´t improve AC further.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 26, 2001).]

5. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] My kensai has cure light wounds, so rest until healed works.
    I'm dual wielding (this may be stupid, but im goinf for c'fury and crom).
    If I get good enough weapons, i won't need magic (yeah right).
    Kensai's can't wear the helm of balduarn, or bracers and i dont think they can wear girdles.
    I'm going to die, but itll be hilarious.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] halfling Kensai? Ragusa's thing must be catchy ;)
    I agree, you're gonna die, but it WILL be hilarious ;)
    My advice is, don't concentrate THAT much on AC, just get the boots of speed, coz you may have to do a lot of running ;)

7. maxiwoo Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] ok, i want to go solo with a kensai and keldorn, poss. areie. What race and stats should i use?

8. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Use a half orc with 19 str and con and 18 dex.

Have: ring of protection +2, Ring of Gaxx and cloak of the sewers.

Good THACO, many HP-s and...you still won't survive, because the kensai is so fragile. So long!

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Maxiwoo -- you're waffling! ;) Adding Aerie to the mix changes EVERYTHING. Now, you are two fighters with a walking spell battery who can heal and throw lightning bolts. Now, what fun is that? You'll actually stand a chance to survive.

If you want to add a 3rd PC to the party, add Yoshimo. You'll avoid a few traps, and really be pissed later on! :p At least with him, it will still be hilarious.

10. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Maxiwoo!
    Keldorn can solo BG2 himself, so why do you think you'll fail? Keldorns spells will handle everything.

Ragusa:
    Iron Skin and Stone SKin still can't be cast on anyone but the caster!

Note that you strictly speaking aren't soloing when you bring anyone with you at any time.
    Some call it solo when they bring along an NPC to carry stuff and stand in a corner while the protagonist does everything, but even that isn't pure.
    When you solo any successful mind control - like Domination - will result in instant Game Over, but not so if you have an NPC standing in a corner.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited April 26, 2001).]

11. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

BTW Maxiwoo, doing my best to not spoil the rest of the story for you, I think I should tell you not to rely to heavily on your Kensai's heal light wounds...

12. miniwoo Guest

Man, kensais are useless!! They're not all they're cracked up to be. I'll just go back to my old fighter thief, at least he has a minus armour class, he hits people and doesn't get pulverised by a bunch of wiener enemies.

13. Earl Grey

[​IMG] A Kensai can get the best THAC0 in the game, but that doesn't mean they are the best choice. As you clearly have noticed their AC is really not good. :p
    People have mostly been talking about kensai/mage, which is a superb combo because a mages AC is weak anyway.

The Kensai is a "soft" character.

A good way to use a kensai is to keep him in reserve until your "hard" characters - fighters and clerics - have engaged the enemy. First then do you send him in to clean up.

He should be your best attacker and this way you maximize his strength and minimize his weakness.

14. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31

Man! No magical defense, no phisical defense! The kensai pure is a big nothing(in my opinion), but dual classed to a mage at level 9 is the best choice! It will be a strong character.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Kensai is like a nija, the ultimate killer. Swift and accurate. That's why Keldorn and Minsc are around. They do not DEAL damage, they TAKE it. Attack with both or either, when the enemy engages them, attack from the saide with the kensai, he'll be ignored, at their expense.

16. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

do not underestimate the kensai class true ppl rate it highly but it deserves it monks rule but i think they look full shit so i don't use them

17. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Don't you get the punctuation marks on ALL keybords?
    :D LOL

18. shadowboxer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Well I just started a character today, A kensai, I had to see waht thier prefomance was like. I have to say that they are not that bad. Not solo but in a party they could be very effective. A half orc with 19 strenght and a Katana usually does about 20 damage. no that bad.
    Still monks are the way to go!

19. Punkindrublic Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

punctuation?

20. ayecapitan Guest

Kensai's tohit and speed bonuses come handy all the time
    They usually do massive damage to a single enemy before it can hit them once
    Best proficiencies for a Kensai is (IMO) dagger/short sword - 2 weapon style
    laugh, but their speed factor will grant massive number of hits per round and 2 weapon style will make it more!

the only serious disadvantage of a kensai is its missile protection - missiles hit him awfully hard, but it be the only one

Equip it with the loun stone that gives +1 AC (Dusty rose IIRC), cloak of sewers, Ring of p +2 and ring of earth control for better ac

enjoy

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited April 29, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.