1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stand-up comedy

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Barmy Army, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a massive fan of comedy and probably stand-up comedy most of all. The problem is, there's lots and lots of really crap stand-up comics out there. The idea of this thread is just to find out who peoples favourites are. Please provide a YouTube clip as well to show people what's funny about them.

1) My personal favourite is Billy Connolly. He absolutely creases me up. He's still funny now at the grand old age of 60 odd, but his old stuff is the best.

Old: General clips from his old stuff [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Qm4D6X3Mc ]
    New: I think this one was in New York [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUpShuC5dY ]

2) Lee Evans is another who just crucifies me. A lot don't like him, but I love him! [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSr8Hq8EotY ]

3) Bill Hicks was really, really funny, RIP Bill [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQiy2yoyn5w ] (couldn't find better clips)

Others I like are Ricky Gervais ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GriIlpv7YXU ), Peter Kay ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST0oWkUqu8o ), George Carlin ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWquwHlGXZE ). Plus others, but that'll do for now!

I found other Ricky Gervais clips which are bloody hilarious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYytaZ06Hco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUH1H-b-N5o

[ December 03, 2006, 10:51: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

2. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Eddie Izzard is my favorite stand-up comedian and "Glorious" is IMO his best show.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'm a big fan of the "Friends of the Bob and Tom Show Comedy Tour". Very funny comics. :D

One of my favorites is Don McMillian and his "Corprate Comedy". He used to work for IBM, and then moved to comedy. What other comic uses PowerPoint in their act?!?! :shake: :rolling:

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

On Youtube, search for Stephen Lynch (if you're not easily offended) and Pablo Francisco

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I love stand-up comedy! There are too many great comedians, but here is small list.

Robin Williams' stand up comedy rules. If you think he's an all-family comedian, think again. Watch his Live on Broadway show if you ever get the chance.

Billy Connelly is cool. He has one of the best accents.

Like Daie said, Stephen Lynch is cool. He is a musician with some bad ass funny songs. Watch Lullaby or Superhero
    Not for the easily offended!

I like Gabriel Iglesias. Here is a piece from his Comedy Central Presents show.

Lewis Black is pretty cool. This may not be his best skit, but he is pretty cool.

Here is another of my all time favorite Comedy Central Presents: The Sklar Brothers (long clip).

Something completely different: Mitch Hedberg (here is another one) If you have never seen him, watch it! He has some strange humor, but a lot of it is pretty good (lots of one-liners).

And last for the Dutch: Albert Heijn spoof. (I doubt many non-Dutch will get most of the jokes).

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Can we include already-popular ones as well? I always thought Chris Rock was crap in his movies, but his HBO Stand-up comedy was frickin hilarious.

7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Why shouldn't we include already popular ones? It's always fun to discover new comedians, but some people might not know Chris Rock's HBO special kicks ass (not everybody gets HBO).

And how could I have forgotten George Carlin?

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I saw an hour long Michael WInslow (the dude who does the noises from POlice Academy) show on Youtube, which was hilarious.

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Many good ones have already been honored here; Mitch Hedberg (RIP), Robin Williams, 'Our Saviour Who Art George Carlin' ;) , Billy Connolly, Lee Evans, Chris Rock, Lewis Black (I'm still waiting for the day his head just explodes during a performance :lol: ), even Bob & Tom Show 'regulars' like Heywood Banks, Tim Cavanagh, Timmy Wilson, Rodney Carrington, Pat Daly...I could go on for ages just with their guest list...

Others that have yet to be mentioned:

- (Leo) Gallagher - for his delightfully silly, yet telling poke at the absurd things we take as given in everyday life:
    G:"Do you want a pain reliever that WORKS?"
    Aud:"Yes."
    G:"PICKY bleeps, ain'tcha?!?"

- Denis Leary - one angry mutha-SHUTYOURMOUTH. Here is a man raised on 'The Honeymooners' and 'All In The Family' :D

- Dave Chappelle - irreverent, poke-fun-at-sacred-cows, challenge your perspective comedian.

- Dennis Miller - the man that trademarked The Rant ;) Another soul with the ability to see stupid
    things accepted by society and be the little kid that says "Hey, the Emperor's got no clothes on!"

- Sam Kinison - arguably the first 'angry comedian'. RIP, mate.

- Steven Wright - the king of deadpan one-liners.
    "My school colors were clear. 'I'm not naked, I'm in the band.'"
    "One time I stayed in a hotel where the pool was on the 23rd floor - I couldn't believe how deep it was."

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bill Cosby was the master at stand-up. Hilarious routines the entire family could enjoy.

Some of the earlier stuff with Henny Youngman, Lenny Bruce, and Abbott and Costello are absolutely priceless.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Dave Chappelle stand up is great (his show blows), and his best stuff is live in San Francisco and Washington. I'll look it up on YouTube when I have time later.

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

BA, by the way, Ricky Gervais was hilarious! I looked for his thing on the leaflet... :lol: That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eddie Izzard, Eddie Izzard, and Eddie Izzard.

As Barmy would say...funny git, that one.

Stephen Lynch is great, too. Chris Rock's stand-up is HILARIOUS, even if his acting sucks.

15. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There's 4 youtube videos on Russell Peters - you got to watch them all!

Jeremy Hotz is pretty good, but not much on youtube on him.

For Canadian comedians, I like Mike Macdonald and Glen Foster. I haven't tried youtubing them yet, but I will soon, now that I got the idea!

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Bill Bailey
    Colin Murphy
    Dara Ó Briain

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.