1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What stat do you think is the most important

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Stu, May 3, 2003.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I was just wondering what people thought was the best stat, like to put 18 (or 19) points in.
    mine has always been dex for better armour class, but I also like strength, but there are a lot of strength modifying devices. :D

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What stat do you think is the most important (22 votes.)

What stat do you think is the most important (Choose 1)
    * Strength - 14% (3)
    * Constitution - 9% (2)
    * Dexterity - 55% (12)
    * Intelegence - 14% (3)
    * Wisdom - 0% (0)
    * Charisma - 9% (2)

What do you think is the least important stat? (Choose 1)
    * Strength - 14% (3)
    * Constitution - 0% (0)
    * Dexterity - 0% (0)
    * Inteligence - 14% (3)
    * Wisdom - 9% (2)
    * Charisma - 64% (14)

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

What's the point in this poll? All stats are important, but not for all characters. Ok, if I answer generally, which stat I always keep high, I'd say dexterity, and stat that I keep quite low is charisma.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

First, the most important stat is the primary stat for respective class.
    For example Intelligence for wizards & sorcerers and Wisdom for clerics & druids.

What this poll is (or at least ought to be) asking is which stat is the second most important stat after the primary stat.

Very high Dexterity is IMO the best as it always improves AC regardless of class. It improves missile THAC0, which is especially good for non-tanks, like thieves and spellcasters.

Charisma is the least useful stat. Only one character needs high charisma and there are many ways to raise this stat when you need it; for example the Ring of Human Influence and the spell "Friends".

4. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Intelligence is the most important stat for my mage,that's logically.The second important one is wisdom,because of the greater wish spell.

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree. Charisma is virtually worthless - even for the classes that theoretically need high charisma.

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Strength - not useful; belts of X Giant Strength

Dexterity - not useful; Gloves of Dexterity

Constitution - not useful; Belt of Fortitude.

You get the idea.

I say Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma* are all on the same level because they open up dialogue options and let you see more interesting things in Baldur's Gate II.

* - Okay, there's a ring for that.

On a side, is anyone else besides me disgusted when they see a hero with 18/18/18/18/3/3? I mean, would you actually want to be a jockish hero like that? Yeesh. Ah, well, it's a game, anyways.

7. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

In the game it might be dexterity that's most useful, but think of real life... Charisma is perhaps most useful nowadays :D

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I answered this poll WITHOUT considering what items you get in the game. Think of this as your first time rolling up a character, with no info about what items you find later.

As with the majority, I think charisma is the most useless. It might hurt you early on when store prices are slightly higher, but a little extra gold can take care of that. It's not a "life-threatening" situation.

For the most important stat, there are arguments supporting strength, dexterity and constitution. It's the classic debate about attack, defense, and health. Lots has been said about STR and DEX already, so I'll leave it at that. But no one said much about CON yet.. so

I think constitution is important early in the game, but becomes useless later. Since the hit point rolls when leveling up depend on CON, having low CON early on leads to a low HP. And this IS "life-threatening." Late in the game, hit point rolls are set by class. So having a low CON at this point only makes you get fatigue more often. (Just sleep)

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I I like to have higher DEX for characters for reasons already made clear by others, and I also like to have really high CON scores for my Warrior classes, as the more hit points for those punks, the better. IHMO, there's no point in giving any other class a CON over 16, as there's no HP bonus beyond the +2/level you get at 16.

Intelligence is supposed to be a big deal for Sorcerers, but my question is, what does having a high intelligence do for a Sorcerer? I mean, it doesn't raise his chance to learn spells, and it doesn't increase the # of spells he can know, so who cares? I give my Sorcerers high wisdom, so they can always cast Limited Wish and Wish without having to chug a potion.

I hope this isn't hijacking the thread by asking this, but here goes: Having a leader with a high Charisma influences your entire group's reactions, but does having a leader with a high Intelligence influence your entire group's pathfinding ability? Because if so, I'm going to put the Ring of Human Influence on Jan and let him lead instead of Keldorn.

10. Vedran Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In 3rd edition, Sorcerer's prime ability is Charisma. This is not actually implemented, Sorcerers will do the same no matter how high or low their Charisma and Intelligence are.

11. r'Hant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Are we role-playing here, or not? Intelligence is my first pick, no matter what class I choose. :) I always find a way to balance my other weaknesses.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.