1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music of Choice on SP

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Ok then Fabius, give us YOUR examples of what you conclude to be RnB and Soul.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Debbie Gibson rules. Getting a bit old to be a teen quenn now though. She turned 36 last month!

3. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

HB, you must be one of those Electric Youths. :grin:

But I admit I did really loved "No More Rhyme" back then.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Mindless Rock?

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    People actually listen to them?
    :eek:

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As I said: I can accept that's an very broad genre. But stuff like said *****cat Dolls, Usher and the like should be left out, because this stuff has nothing to do with 'black music', but is as soulless as chart pop like Britney Spears.

Only artists that play equivalent music to the old soul artists and the like should be considered R&B.

7. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Classic Rock: The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cheap Trick, Kiss, Black Sabbath...
    Punk Rock: Ramones, The Clash, Rancid, NoFX, MC5, Iggy & the Stooges...
    80's Rock: Guns'n'Roses, Warrant...
    Grunge: Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Screaming Trees...
    Stoner Rock: Kyuss (and all related bands), COC, Fu Manchu, Monster Magnet, The Sword, Wolfmother...
    Misc bands: The Mars Volta, Muse, The Ranconteurs, Buckcherry, The Donnas, The Hellacopters...

... the list goes on and on. :D

8. nior Gems: 24/31

@Decados, you're making me laugh. Didn't you notice my post was intended to make fun of you guys. If you read around, those artists aren't exactly the type that SP members would prefer.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I won't hear a bad word said about Debbie Gibson!

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I like 80s music and I listen to a lot of it: The Police, The Cars, Gary Numan, The Pretenders, Talking Heads, Level 42, The Cure, CS Angels, Simple Minds, U2, Tears for Fears, Dire Straits, etc.

Chill, Electronic, Acid Jazz, House, Hard House, Lounge, Trance, Ambient Lounge, Drum and Bass: Groove Armada, Future Sound of London, Orbital, Thievery Coporation, The Dining Rooms, ORG Lounge, S-Tone Inc., Gentle People, Lovespirals, Zeb (the DJ, not the band), Claude Challe (Budda Room), Zero 7, LTJ Bukem, Ivy, Darude, Ian Van Dahl, ATB, Stonebridge, St. Germain, etc.

Classic Rock: The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Grateful Dead, Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Boston, Jethro Tull, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, Rush, Van Halen, Heart, etc.

I also listen to some ambient stuff: Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vida Obmana, Tangerine Dream, Pete Namlook and Klaus Schultz, Michael Stearns, etc.

Regarding R&B - Jack Funk has it right - 'nuff said.

Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Dave Brubeck, etc. Mike Stearn, John Scofield, Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton, Richard Elliot, Chris Botti, Boney James, Brian Culbertson, Soundscape UK, The Rippingtons, Yellowjackets, etc.

[ September 29, 2006, 17:26: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

11. Harbourboy

:shake: I give up. People are determined to talk gibberish in this thread. :shake:

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Nothing wrong with Trance HB! And I thought you liked it ...

13. Harbourboy

Other than it being another one of those imaginary sub sub sub sub sub sub sub genres that people keep making up.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Umm no;

Trance is a style of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s. Trance music is generally characterized by a tempo of between 130 and 160 bpm, featuring repeating melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and down throughout a track, often crescendoing or featuring a breakdown. Sometimes vocals are also utilised. The style is arguably derived from a combination of largely techno and house. 'Trance' received its name from the repetitious morphing beats, and the throbbing melodies which would presumably put the listener into a trance-like state. As this music is almost always played in nightclubs at popular vacation spots and in inner cities, trance can be understood as a form of club music. Taken from Wikipedia.

I believe it is indeed, a proper style of music. Why do you classify it to be somthing of fiction?

15. nior Gems: 24/31

HB is definitely one of those Electric Youths! :shake:

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I have been fooled?!!?

Damn the lack of emotion that forums show!

Bah!

@Silvershield: While Wiki is generally useful, it isn't the best source in this case. If you look, you will see that Wiki categorises music to the very extent that HB despises. Part of the problem is people refusing to categorise their favourite band in a particular way and so send in submissions of yet more sub-categories.

17. Harbourboy

Yes - what Decados said.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

I kind of understand what you're saying but that doesn't really prove true for ALL types of music, just a few ...

19. Harbourboy

There's now way that I could ever consider that there are so many sub sub sub sub genres of electronic Yamaha Home Organ music. What Decados says about people inventing genres just to make their favourite band seem more unique and progressive hits the nail right on the head for me:

"Oh no, the "Jumping Death Rats" aren't Acid Chill Speed House Metal!! No way! How can you even think that?! They are SO Acid Chill Speed Death Boogie Metal! They pretty much pioneered that genre with their innovative use of aeolian cadence riffs combined with unexpected double octave chord changes. Man, some people just don't understand quality music when they hear it."

20. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

It's very possible that some people do it, but coming up with genres that cover only one band is utterly pointless. It defeats the whole point of the concept of genres.

There have been genres mentioned in this thread that I know next to nothing about, but I've heard most of them mentioned somewhere else too and none of them sound imaginary.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.