1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin dies

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Well, yes, you do seem to learn a lesson from this. If anyone as experienced as him can die like that, what does that tell the rest of us about poking rattlers and such animals with sticks? DonĀ“t.

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Stingray sting to chest? Well, that's almost sure way to get killed. Sad, but as stated, he was asking for it.
    You play with the fire, and it burns you down. But I guess that was one of the less painful possibilities.
    Like if he would have been mauled by a crocodile, seeing that those things aren't the fastest killers there is. Or eaten alive by a huge colony of ants...

Anyways, R.I.P.

3. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That's got to be one of the more unpleasant ways to go.

Can't say I'm entirely surprised, though. The way he did things, It was bound to happen. Sad, though.

R.I.P.

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Jeez, this is a shame... and apparently, its tough to die by stingrays, but because it was right in the heart...

:(

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

My 11 year old cried, she said she wanted to see him when she went to Austrailia when she got older. It is not suprising, but I will miss the crazy guy.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

We've got his kids to look forward to.

From watching his show, I've seen him get real close to buying the farm several times.

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    This is about all I heard all day at school.

Still, it is a shame for the children.

RIP

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Steve Irwin was a legend, just sad that he went by a lame stingrock and not a big macho croc or horribly poisoneous snake. At least it was an animal and it was during his line of work and not in his bed of old age.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Perhaps it was to be expected, seeing that he played with the most dangerous animals he could find.

Still - :sosad: - my heart goes out to his wife and children!

R.I.P.

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sometimes I wished he would just refrain from molesting the animals he had snatched from under rocks and trees and muck. They were clearly inconvenienced.

Still, he was an amazingly crazy person - 'tis truly sad news. :(

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I feel sorry for the sting ray...because now, all the crocks are going to be really pissed off that *they* didn't kill him first. :evil:

That dude took a lot of risks...and it looks like one of them finally caught up to him. :bad: :rolling:

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I also feel sad about the fact that he is leaving a couple of young kids behind who will miss him more than any of his fans will.

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

While I have a decent respect for this guys ability, knowledge, and being a naturalist, I really can't shake of the idea that he was actually pulling at that stingray before he got barbed.

Sorry guys if that actually irks anyone.

14. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My family and I are big fans of Steve. We have been watching him so long my wife said it feels like losing a family member. I can't say I agree.

What I can agree on is that it is a real shame and a big loss to the world of animal conservation. Yeah, he was a bit over-the-top but he made his love for animals very clear. It has been unanimously stated that he was "real", this was not some persona he put on for the camera. He will be greatly missed by many but no more than by Terry, Bindi and Bob, his family he left behind. We pray for you in the Wiley One household.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Aldeth said from the Alleys:
    The 'doctor' was a researcher, not a medical practitioner. That's what John Staiton (Steve's producer) said anyway.

16. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sad, I said to my biology teacher: "So Steve Irwin is gone then..." and her answer: "Who was that? Your pet?"
    Actually, there were about two out of ten who had even heard of the there...

17. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

He died before the helicopter arived to airlift him.

Death by sting ray is not only rare, but also quite painfull, specially how he was struck. "They have one or two barbs in the tails which are not only coated in toxic material but are also like a bayonet, like a bayonet on a rifle. If it hits any vital organs it's as deadly as a bayonet."

He was a good educator and entertainer, comedian and animal lover. I never knew him, but the death of a human being is always a tragic one, specially since he left 2 kids and a wife behind.

18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Oh, it's all over the news now. There's even a special documentary on his life on 60 Minutes today. We even had one minute silence at assembly for him yesterday (which I already mentioned in the RBP).

So ironic, he was an environmentalist and protected animals, yet he was killed by one...

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The media is treating it as though Jesus Christ was just killed by a stingray - it's getting a tad ridiculous...

20. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.