1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Please forgive some newbie type questions...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Bowie, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've only had BG2 for a short while and while I am only in Chapter 2, I've been wondering about a few things that I haven't found in the manual. Perhaps someone here could help?

First, I know about how Paladins and Rangers can "fall", but I was wondering if there were any other general effects for playing a character 'against type', say, by having a lawful character break the law, or by making an evil character be goodie-two-shoes all the time.

Second, are the gems and necklaces without magical properties good for anything other than selling them to the nearest vender?

Third, I've got a necklace that gives a mage an extra 2nd level spell. What happens if I remove it, is the spell forgotten? Can this item be used on multiple mages?

Forth, are there events that, say, only happen on a certain day, so if a party rests too often or wonders around too much, they won't be able to make it that event in time, thereby missing out on a quest, item, etc.?

And last, are all spells (druid/cleric/mage) banned in the town or just mage spells? And about the spell license, if I have two mages do I need two licenses, or will one be enough for the whole party?

Hope you don't find me too annoying... I've only just discovered the joy that is Baldur's Gate. :)

2. the GRINCH Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The spell is forgotten when you take the amulet off, but you can memorize it again.
    The other neclaces, gems and rings, if they dont have any magical properties, are only worth selling.
    It is possible to miss an event (eg. you wont be at this bit but the drow ((black elves)) give you strict orders to be at a place in about an hour or you get punished). Same with Anomen (Priest)who gets a chance to be knighted but you have to be there in two days or he misses out.
    You only need one licence and can get it for 5000gp from the government district.

(btw, HAHA!! YOURE A NEWBIE!! I MUST LAUGH AT YOU NOW BECAUSE YOU PURCHASED THE SAME GAME AS ME ONLY LATER!! THEREFORE THAT IS HILARIOUS!!HAHA!!)

3. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

1) Not really. The main effect of your actions is on your Reputation, which goes up when you do particularly heroic things and down when you are bad (getting caught stealing, killing a civilian, etc.). Particularly good NPCs, like Keldorn or Aerie, may have problems continuing with a party with a low Reputation; likewise, evil characters, such as Korgan or Edwin, will complain and ultimately leave the group if your Reputation is too high. Other than that, and the fall of Paladins and Rangers, your alignment doesn't really restrict your actions. I've never heard of anyone other than Paladins and Rangers so digressing from their alignment as to be punished.

2) 99.9% of nonmagical rings or necklaces are just for sale; you can buy gem bags that will hold rings, necklaces, and gems, so they don't bog you down. There are a few nonmagical rings or necklaces that relate to quests (Waukeen's Mantle, the Lover's Ring, etc.), but you are usually looking for them when you find them, or their importance is mentioned in their description.

3) If you remove the necklace, the bonus spell vanishes. Put it back on, and the spell slot will reappear, but you'll have to reselect and rememorize (rest) the spell that you lost.

4) When a character tells you do do something "right away!" or "meet them tonight!" don't worry. It's just talk. I used to stress over this too, with everyone in the game wanting me to help them that instant. Someone on the board may chime in with an exception I haven't encountered or forgot, but I don't think it matters if you go that night or in two weeks game time. I've let some quests sit on the back burner (Thieves Quests, Cult of Eyeless, Jaheira Summoning, etc.) for an entire chapter without penalty.

5) Just mage spells are prohibited. But in the Government District northernmost building, you can buy a license to cast magic in the city for 5,000gp.

Welcome to the Boards, byt he way!

4. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Hey thanks for the quick responses. You've put my mind at ease on a few things in the game, which is good because I need my mind as clear as can be as I try to solve these 1,001 (it seems) odd quests that are suddenly being thrown at me... :) It's like on my way to do any quest I'm being asked to do 3 or 4 more, each more "urgent" than the last. Oh well, the things I gotta do to raise the money to save Imoen... ;)

5. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] Forget Imoen man she sucks anyway. too bad they dualed her to a mage i always use SK and make her a singleclass thief again

6. the GRINCH Gems: 3/31

whats SK? some sort of hacking program or something cos i heard of that beginning with an "S".
    btw, neverworlder, if you have anomen in your party and he is told to go to the order to get knighted, he leaves on his own after two days, but your right, thats the only time affected thing ive seen so far, apart from the drow complain if your late but thats it.

7. Pretend Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well.. one quest that does have a timelimit is saving Jan Jensen's daughter. She dies if you don't find the cure on time. According to my friend who is nuts and tries everything possible (and impossible).

8. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

SK=Shadowkeeper

wonderful program that allows you to hack savegames and CHR files.

http://www.mud-master.com

if you need it... sometimes it can be useful as sometimes i find that pieces of my inventory just suddenly go missing. Like i had my Main Characters +1 Full Plate disappear inadvertantly............

bloody thieving gits *grumbles* :mad:

9. [​IMG] One place that time is critical: Lavok in Planar Sphere. When he tells you to finish that re-quest of his, you'd better not doodle around too long. You can sleep and explore (I've tested this) but I wouldn't push it beyond two days.

I heard from another source, unsubstantiated, that you have as long as two weeks. Even then, that means this situation has a time limit.

One newbie to another: Don't forget to, after you beat your biggest foe in your quest, to go back to the instigator of your quest: That is, the Mayor of the town, or the Knight that gave you orders....that's where you get more XP's and gold. I've had to waste a trip back to Umar Hills because of that.

bgp

10. the GRINCH Gems: 3/31

yeah, i did that to talk to those friendly ogresand they gave me a shield. i sold it

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.