1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Top 5 Female Singers

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, May 15, 2006.

1. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Carcaroth- cool to see another Beth Gibbons fan. I am looking forward to the third portishead album to come out this year.

...on another note- Sarah Brightman's voice is so weirdly mucus like to me. Yes, her voice reminds me of mucus. I for one think that Emmy Rossum, as Christine in the movie version of Phantom, has a much prettier voice. Sarah Brightman just sounds so damn weird.

[ May 17, 2006, 06:44: Message edited by: auril ]

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Auril,
    Her voice is pure sex, absolutely stunning on the frist album.

Auril/MoN,
    I always thought Lambs first album was the sort of direction that Portisheads second should have taken, if you haven't heard the other, I would recommend.

MoN, Now I'm shocked, I didn't expect anyone else on here to know any Drum & Base. "Angel" is usually the track to get stuck between my ears. I'd forgotten about Morcheeba.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What a weird mix of singers listed so far. Who is Lamb? I have never heard of him / her / it / them.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Geeze...this is going to be hard.

In no particular order:
    Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries - one of the only chick bands I can stand)
    Amy Lee (Evanescence- tollerable in small dosses)
    Dido (Tollerable if stuck at a dance concert)
    That lady who does the "la da da da" in Metallica's 'The Memory Remains'...
    And because I can't think of any others...this list is limited to just 4. :p :rolling:

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    HB, Lamb is a duo consisting of Andy Barlow and Louise Rhodes. Both have gone solo now. Lamb was some sort of mixup between triphop and drum&bass. They seem to be like an upbeat Portishead and others compare them with the Sneaker Pimps.

Carcaroth, consider yourself a little less special now then. :p I don't have much D&B. Just the best known of the scene, like Roni Size and Reprazent, Aphrodite, Adaf F, Grooverider etc

Kitrax, you could always add Prince to make that 5 :p

An other female singer I like is Beth Hirsch, who appeared on Air's album Moon Safari. (I got slapped by my roommate for not mentioning her)

Edit: I yet have to find an other person, real-life or online, who has heard of Micatone.

[ May 17, 2006, 14:11: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Its Maryann Faithful Kitrax ;) (Memory Remains)

7. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Let's see...

India.Arie
    Angie Stone
    Beth Gibbons
    Shirley Manson
    Roisin Murphy

8. auril Gems: 2/31

of Beth Gibbons
    Indeed.

I've haven't heard of Lambs, I should explore them.

I'd forgotten about Dolores O'Riordan- what happened to The Cranberries anyway?

As for Amy Lee, although I'm thoroughly bored to death of that sort of "Linkin' Park" music- if it can be called such- she admittedly has a good voice. I agree with Kitrax's assesment of "small doses" only.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

1. Liv Kristine Espenæs Krull (ex-Theatre of Tragedy, Leave's Eyes)
    2. Anneke Van Giersbergen (The Gathering)
    3. Tarja Turunen (ex-Nightwish)
    4. Paulina Maślanka (Delight)
    5. Anja Ortodox (Closterkeller)

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Never heard of ANY of those people, Undertaker, or the entities named in brackets after them. :borg:

11. auril Gems: 2/31

Nightwish is another Evanscence sort of band. Formula:
    metal group + power ballads + operatic female voice = lotsa fans.

12. Morghak Steelhammer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hi DarkStrider,

The singer from Cocteau Twins is called Liz Frasier.
    Otherwise pretty good choices.

Both her and Lisa Gerrard are on my top 5 list as well.

13. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

@HB: no wonder DotW calls you Caveboy :p

14. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, it's not my fault if I have taken a liking in poking fun out of Harbs. :evil:

I agree for Liv Kristine, but not with the bitch from Nightwish.

So, my own top five:

1. Kari Rueslatten
    2. Liv Kristine Espenæs Krull
    3. Kicki Höijertz
    4. Cadaveria
    5. Tie between Lisa Johansson and Caroline Wilson

15. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i thought the nightwish chick was quite good, an opera chick singing in a finish metal

i like the
    nightwish chick
    evanesence chick
    tadpole chick
    cranberries chick
    and um shirley manson from garbage

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dammit. How could I leave out Shirley Manson...

17. Harbourboy

DotW, I have never heard of any of the people on your list either. They sound vey obscure. Where do you find out about all these singers?

I prefer Death Rabbit's and Takara's lists because at least they are singers that I have any chance of having heard of.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Plus...my list kicks more ass. Cuz it's mine.

Just sayin'. :cool:

ps - HB, I think tastes and certainly exposure differ from region to region. If memory serves, most on Disciple and Undertaker's lists are more European, and aren't necessarily mainstream at all. So while they may be obscure as hell to you and I (as we're both in countries where English is the official language), they're probably local favorites the closer you get to eastern Europe.

I mean the spelling of the names alone on Disciple's list makes me more distant to Europe than before. ;)

19. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Harby, you have just said it yourself: They're from obscure bands. Apart from me, Undertaker would be the only other to have ever heard those names. There are a lot of great underground talents, you know.

20. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

@DR: ALL mentioned on my list are European bands :p And yes, those bands are obscure and only me and DotW know most of them (but I'm sure Nightwish is more known band :p as well as Theatre Of Tragedy)
    and all hear this
    Liv Kristine Espenæs Krul is da best voice in the world!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.