1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How long do you roll for good stats?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Farthy, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] How do you know when you get a good one? Add them up? It seems to me it is easier to miss a good one than to catch a good one. And what do they usually add up to?

2. [​IMG] Actually, I never roll. I just add after the class i want and what i think is best.

3. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

So you don't try for mega-stats like those that add up to 90 or more like me? (It takes FOREVER)

Interesting. I always wanted a smart paladin or an enlightened ranger. Just never happens.

4. happy1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I add the digits (leave the ten's out). Keep going until you are bored or reach 30 (total 90). I stopped at 88 for my fmt.

Hints:
    If 2 characteristics are single figures then move on straight away.
    If you are nearly happy with your stored value move on if you get one single figure.

5. Farthy Gems: 10/31

Veteran

If possible, could you give me stats of Fighter/Mage/Thieves? How can you have 88 and have good str, con, dex, AND int? Do you sacrifice a whole bunch of wis and cha?

6. happy1 Gems: 3/31

POTENTIAL SPOILER

STR 18-89 (you don't need this as items help)
    INT 18
    DEX 19 elf
    CON 17 elf
    WIS 8 doesn't affect saving throws AFAICT
    CHA 8 minium allowed (you don't need this as items help)

[This message has been edited by happy1 (edited February 04, 2002).]

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

I just lower them all to their minimum and count the total. Then I see if it's enough for my character, if it isn't I keep rolling till I get a higher total. I don't do that for every roll, I know when I see a good one...

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited February 05, 2002).]

8. NightShade737 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Could be first roll, could be your 1 billionth roll, its all random and luck.

Usally If I see a number below 14 in there I roll again.

9. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i roll once, unless it is really ridiculously crappy. I'm not to picky.

ie) fighter

str: 17
    dex: 15
    con: 15
    int: 11
    wis: 12
    cha: 14

heh, above average kind of person.

10. I think that "breeding" characters with high stats in most things is pointless. I just take what I have and deal with it, unless I get really bad rolls. I mean, if you're gonna sit there are day waiting for all 18s, why not just use CLUA Console?

11. void Guest

I wait in general till the stats average 14 or better unless I'm using something that needs higher (i.e paladin).

12. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I pretty much do the same as Lord Sarevok.

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    It actually depends on what I do:

Basically I skip every roll including single digits ... as Sarevok I know when I have a good roll.

I had a wonderful roll for my then human pally in BG-1 - totalling 99 originally, 106 after consuming the tomes - one of my best rolls ever and since I was waiting for hero stats I rolled for an hour to get them. I played that char through BG-1 and 2.

My current fighter-cleric is :D much "weaker" :D totalling only 86 points, and having only a dex of 14 (dependent on the gaunts of dex for serious melee work) ... and my illusionist-thief has a total of 89 since I didn't want to roll for ages ... I only spend some 5 minutes rolling for each char ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited February 05, 2002).]

14. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I've never had anything over 86, and AFAIK I don't need anything over that. Stats can only get you so far. Strategy and battle tactics take you farther.

So, in otherwords, not a lot of time spent on rolling.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited February 05, 2002).]

15. sorvo Guest

I must have spent as much time rolling for stats as I did playing BG when I first got it:Dazed: My best roll ever was a 96! I tend to import my BG characters into SOA so I don't roll stats in BGII anymore.

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited February 05, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by sorvo (edited February 05, 2002).]

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I usually decide what sort of stats i want from the role-playing point of view, and then spend the amount of time nessecary rolling them. For my assassin, I had high dex and int, above-average strength and con, average wis and lousy cha.

Ara
    (Probably said nothing but my head hurts too much to care...)

17. Thomas Covenant Gems: 3/31

Thing is, some classes/kits have really high % of chance to get a good roll on them, because they normally have high minimum scores (ie archers, paladins).
    Took me 3 tries to roll 96 for elf archer, 5 tries to roll 95 for a paladin.

I usually roll 10/15 times in blind, and than just pick whatever is on screen, granted that there are no single digits. And pump up skills I think that char should have.

18. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I usually roll for 2-3 minutes; but my best ever roll was my pure paladin with 102 total. I spent 40-50 minutes rolling him; I wouldn't do it again, it was very boring after 10 minutes, but the stats were worth it:

str: 18/11
    dex: 18
    con: 18
    int: 16
    wis: 15
    cha: 17

19. total Guest

I roll few times to max out main stats, but nothing special. If i want high stats, i push Ctrl-8 for experimenting. If i have to high stats, my character outgrows "balanced" NPCs.

20. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm usualy fine somewhere around 70-80. The game very fun if you are so powerful you win every battle easly. Your character doesn't have to be perfect.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.