1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strategies for killing Irenicus

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] I'd like to hear some strategies for killing Irenicus in his human form(before hell). I've beat the game once with a lvl 19 barbarian with 170 HP. The only reason I defeated him is because of the Cloak of Mirroring. Every time he cast a spell on me, he got the damage. I felt so bad because i'd beaten the game in such a cheap way that I need to know of a different way of beating him.

2. Jora_Delossian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Before I killed the final tree bug to activate Irenicus, I summoned a bunch of animals, skeletons, etc and surrounded him with them. Then I killed the bug, went through the dialogue, and then ran my party away.

While Irenicus used up some of his spells killing my summoned stuff, I summoned some skeleton warriors and a (flesh?) golem and sent them in. They are both immune to magic, so they beat up Irenicus while he futily cast spells on them. Eventually they will kill him.

You can also have your party plink away at him with bows and slings while he is attacking your summoned creatures.

3. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I killed Irenicus by hording a bunch of powerful scrolls and then unloading them on him during the battle.

Before I destroyed the last parasite, I cast every protection spell in the books. When the battle did start, I had my character (an Invoker) cast Time Stop and then hit him with anti-magic spells (Breach, whip, etc....).

He recovered and recast protection spells. Imoen then cast Time Stop and hit him with some more spells - the last being Stun.

At this point, Irenicus was stunned and without any protections whatsoever. Minsc, Jaheira and Viconia made short work of him.

4. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I just used protection from magic scrolls on my 2 fighters, used them to engag irenicus, then walking my other members out of the fray, then waste him with ray of reversal, spell piercing, breach and etc.

5. Fawkes Gems: 1/31

I don't see the method with the cloak as a cheap way to win, to me a cheap way to win would be to use the kill sword against him.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Ruby ray of reversal, breach and pierce and hack away

7. Solidude Gems: 1/31

I find that if you back away out of sight for a while and wait, he will cast some spells and do nothing..and also some of his buffs will wear off

8. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Cast Carrion Summons.
    Wait for Irenicus to waste his only death spell on it.
    Summon a Haekeshar.

QEF. :D

[ October 04, 2002, 10:48: Message edited by: MagusWizardo ]

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The reason for killing Irenicus with the cloak is cheap is because I couldn't hit him even once. I just stood there and took all his spells. It's waayyy too cheap. Anyway, all the suggestions rocked, but I don't know what "Ruby Ray of Reversal" is. Summoning stuff usually isn't a problem, but I'm going to start a new character because a Barbarian has no satisfaction in it. Too easy.

10. MagnusMagus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ruby Ray of Reversal
    Level: 7
    Casting Time: 5
    Duration: Instant
    Range: Site
    Saving Throw: None
    Area of Effect: 1 creature.

When this spell is cast on a target creature, it wil dispel one spell protection of any level. The spells that are effected by this are:(minor) spell deflection, (minor) spell turning, (minor) globe of invulnerability, spell shield, spell invulnerability and spell trap. The target`s magic resistance, if any, does not affect this spell. This will always dispell the highest level of spell protection on the target, and if there are two protecting a mage that are the same level the choice is random.

Basically, it`s breach + pierce shield + steroids :)

11. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

I was a sorceror, so I summoned something like 5 hakeashars and sent the rest of my people out of the battle. I did not hit him once with anything, and he kept healing my hakeashars by casting death spells at them.
    Now THAT, my friend, is cheap.

12. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Got a nice assassin character? Go to Diedre and buy the skull that casts similcrum. Before the battle, summoin a haekashar with jan and then retreat, leaving him to cast his spells, ect. Then, out of range, cast similcurm and get the copy to hide in shadows. Keep him well out of the way of battle. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT! Now, advance with janny baby and you, both invisible. Walk behind jon and get jan to cast as many remove protetion spells as possible, it may help to have a timestop and a improved allactraty. Then, when timestop runs out, activate assassinate ability andd backstab until death. Because your copy is hidden in shadows over the other side of the map, you cant be found until he is dead. Easy as Goblin Pie.

13. StormCast Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Since this is not in the ToB forum I'll asume you dont have it. TS scrolls is werry nice here, and get your mages to cars breach, ruby ray etc.. and send in your tanks after you have cast protection from magic and improved haste on them. fast good and easy way...(Do the same in hell)

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Death spells kill hakeashars.

15. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

Okay then, death something. Whatever it was, it was healing the things; the text was scrolling kinda fast, so I couldn't tell you positively what it was.
    ~^_^~

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.