1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sir Belisarius, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Please, no controversy...
    What the movie has that it was chosen by Church to speak about it in the sermons?
    I also heard that there will be a prize for the best sermon about Narnia.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It wasn't good, it wasn't bad, but it was entertaining :) . I barely remember the books so not much of a nostalgic feeling for me... the graphics was great, and the acting as expected; semi-decent (= acceptable). Remember that the majority of dialogue is either interaction between children or between children and adults, thus the acting will never be on level with, say, Jack Nicholson in "And one flew over the cuckoo's nest". Come on! The actors sucked big time too in the first Harry Potter films (though they grew with the task).

I must say that I 100% agree with Nakia on this one. It *is* a great movie when we're talking kids in the age of approximately 5-10 years old.

@BTA - :shake:

[ January 14, 2006, 23:44: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

4. samuel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Darkstrider,
    In reference to Tilda Swinton being better as the Empress in the Magicians Nephew.
    It has been many years since I read the series but if you are referring to the first book and the Empress of the dying world (Charn, I think) then I think that she and the White Witch are one and the same. She makes her escape to Narnia before Charn dies.

5. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@BTA - ...sorry...ehm...that was supposed to be funny ?... [*shrug* I thought it was hilarious and well done... - BTA][Edit -...so, as you can see we have different senses of humor]

@samuel - There are quite a few witches in the whole series of Narnia, and I disagree that White Witch is exactly the same as one from Magician's Nephew. It's only a pure speculation, any evidence - please? Also remember - in Narnia's time those two stories are hundreds or maybe even thousands years distant from each other. And witches breed, somehow... ;) ...

P.S. Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember where first bok says that White Witch was beautiful...

[ January 16, 2006, 10:24: Message edited by: Arendil ]

6. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

samuel is right, the white witch is Jadis from the Magician's nephew. Presumably the apple tree died at some stage...

I really enjoyed the film - loved the books as a kid, and went in expecting a kids' film, not another LOTR.

7. Arendil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@lasgalen - as I said, this is only speculation. After reading every book in series hundred times or so I can't find any evidence for that.

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I enjoyed the movie. I loved the graphics and I thought the children fit their characters beautifully. The faun was very nicely portrayed as well.

It certainly doesn't have the power of the LoTR's movies but then again, as Nakia stated, it is a kids movie.

9. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

The Wardrobe is made from the wood of the apple tree.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Yep, which explains why the Professor (who buried the apple core and built the wardrobe) believes Lucy and the others.

I loved the movie, I loved the books. The story is for kids, and it's a fun way to tell the story of Jesus Christ. I don't want to impose religion on anybody, but that's the way C.S. Lewis intended it.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't think it was quite as successful in getting the Jesus message across as the book was - evidence being that while reading the book I nearly threw it across the room after being assaulted by Jesus imagery, in the movie it somehow manged to seem far more tolerable :p

On the other hand - the book was still better.

12. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It always is ;)

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Any word on making the other books into movies?

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, contracts already signed, last I heard.

15. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Prince Caspian is the next one, according to this

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.