1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Sucky Music Thread

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Disciple of The Watch, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yes, but this was alway the case. Most of the highly regarded pop or soul acts of past decades never wrote their own music.
    The point is that todays acts sound like plastic. I don't know if it's the way the music is produced or if they cannot transport real feelings, but it sounds fake.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It doesn't just "sound" fake, it IS fake. The key word here is "industry". Once you start talking about the "music industry" (or the "movie industry" or "book industry" or "game industry" or whatever) you're talking about producing and selling with little regard for the quality of the production. At this point it's no wonder it sounds fake, unoriginal and rehashed.

3. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

It's all a question of taste. Some people dislike classical style singing, some dislike pop/rock kind of singing (clustering together a vast number of styles, I know. It's just an example).

Yep. But just a couple of decades back there was a lot more diversity in what you could hear on the commercial radio. But these days, like Ziad said, it's all about products and profit, and the number of music industry people who actually care about music has dwindled close to zero. In the past, yes, the music industry was *mostly* concerned with profits even then, but it was still more about the music itself than it is now.

And looking at how the industry works these days, (this is something that has been said in many places many times) it's extremely unlikely that there will ever emerge new bands that reach big superstardom and longevity, like the Beatles, U2, Metallica, that kind of bands. Bands aren't allowed natural career development anymore, it's all about instant profits, and if your first album isn't a worldwide smash hit, you get the boot.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

You got that ****ing right, Susipaisti. Music void of essence, only bent on the cash it can bring in... blech, in what kind of world are we going...?

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

One of the reasons I like hardcore: they care about music, not money. Most of them make nearly nothing (and half of them live with their parents :D ), but they love the music. Most music today (rap,hiphop, punkrock, poprock) is about making money, especially rap. They rap about being poor in the hood, yet they seem to go double triple platinum in the first 30 minutes. SHUT UP!

Grr... hypocritical crappy rap artists...

EDIT: Oh, and DotW, to answer your question at the end of your post, we live in a world bent on greed, betrayal, and ignorance.

6. Disciple of The Watch

MAH-velous, Saber. Let me complete your list. Anger, corruption, betrayal, lust, greed, ignorance, self-interest and self-preservation.

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think every genre has it's jewels.

I hate most rap & Hiphop, But I like Wu-tang Clan, RUN DMC and a lot of old Hip Hop acts.

I love metal, but I hate most music by bands like Slipknot, Chimera & Linkingpark. Does this mean I hate all nu-metal? No since I like System of A Down and a lot of Deftones and Godsmack songs.

I dislike most pop, but then again: Pink is cool! and offcourse you could call Avril Lavigne pop... if you wish ;) .

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, I was watching the top 20 in the charts the other day - it's really pathetic when you see what's there. The most enjoyable song was probably the Shannon Noll song - and, well, that's really sad, seeing what a tool he is.

And no, I haven't looked up anyones recommended rap songs because to be honest - I'm lazy :) Maybe I'll do some illegal downloading tomorrow :)

Most nu metal is horrible - I will, however, admit a bit of a liking of Staind (well, some of their songs - some are pretty mediocre).

And I wish Fuel would go back to being good and meaningful ... maybe with this new album, though I really can't hold my breath on that one seeing how stunningly average Natural Selection was.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

I was pleasently surprised by 'Break'. Quite a good song.

For good NewMetal-Bands try Soil, Trapt or Harvest. Maybe even Chevelle.

[ November 21, 2005, 15:21: Message edited by: Fabius Maximus ]

10. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Chevelle is metal? I thought of it as heavy rock... But then again I have only heart two songs of them so far...

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

They play New Metal. There's not much metal left in this kind of music.

The utterly despisable Nickelback are hard rock.

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Nickelback are horrible - they were on the same charts whcih I was talking about before and managed to get rated below Shannon Noll. I hear them get called 'Every man's rock' - there is absolutely nothing new or interesting there.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Heh. Not much that plays on the radio has essence. That's why I have long banned radio, except Death metal radios on the internet \m/(><)\m/

14. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I create my own playlists or try to find sth cool on the Internet radio.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Chimaira is not nu-metal!!! It is thrash! Listen to their CD "Impossibility of Reason." Pure thrash.

Their newer CD is less thrash, but certainly not nu-metal.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Scandinavian metal has been kicking my arse for about 6 years now... haven't bought a single CD from another country for that time. Wait... no, Evoken and Isis are from US, and both are simply awesome.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Pretty much everything that comes out of Scandinavia is awesome.

But blessed be Norway for the greatest in black metal: Burzum, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Ancient, Carpathian Forest, and all the others. RARRRGH! Black Metal Ist Kreig!

18. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Norsk Arysk Blak Metal! Rahhh!! \m/(><)\m/
    Too many cool bands come from Scandinavia, no place to post them all here.
    I should move there, ferry lines are fast and cheap and the cruise should take only few hours.
    BTW the word is krieg ;) Black Metal Ist Krieg :evil: D

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Duh. The Cardigans. :p

And to get this back to talking about cr*p music, any comments on In A Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy? :lol:

20. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

HIM. The Rasmus. Cradle of Filth. And these norwegian posers whose band name I forgot about.

Awful, I say. Awful.

Never heard of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.