1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best score/soundtrack

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Victor Eremita, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

What is the best score/soundtrack of all times? You don't necessarily have to like the movie, but obviously the two tend to go together :D
    I'm well aware that this is a very subjective question (as I'm sure most of the answers will be) - but it's not intended to be otherwise since I'm not a music expert...

IMO the best score/soundtrack could very well be Ennio Morricone's score to Sergio Leone's "Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo"/"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

2. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Morrocone is number one :D

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I liked the soundtrack to Yojimbo, an old Japanese movie from the late 50's, early 60's.

4. Myth Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Definitely the LOTR : The Fellowship of the ring soundtrack. That Enya song gives me chills every time I hear it. The other tunes are very pleasant too.

Besides that I love the soundtrack to the manga Hellsing. I am not into such things usually but this one rocks in every aspect.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The soundtrack of "Conan the Barbarian" by Vasileios Polydouris.

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

In no particular order:

"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" - Ennio Morricone

"Shaft" - Isaac Hayes

"Superfly" - Curtis Mayfield

7. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The soundtrack of the last episode of Babylon 5, "Sleeping in Light".

:( :sosad:

8. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The last of the Mohicans.

9. khazadman Gems: 6/31

The Big Chill. Some of the finest music ever recorded.

10. Myth Gems: 6/31

Forgot to mention the Braveheart soundtrack and
    1492 Conquest of paradise

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'll just add to the list that I already agree with. The Last Samurai, Dragonheart. The main theme of Legends of the Fall is EXCELLENT.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Godfather has an incredible soundtrack (probably the best original score of all time), as does 2001: A Space Odyssey. My personal favorite is still The Pink Panther....

I won't count movies made from plays or operas(Oklahoma, Cats, Phantom of the Opera, South Pacific, Three Penny Opera, Aida). The scores from some musicals are so common that nearly everyone knows a song or two from them -- these movies certainly belong in the best soundtrack category (Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, Holiday Inn).

And then there's movies like Ray, The Buddy Holly Story, Yellow Submarine and The Big Chill which belong in a class by themselves. Not original scores, but fantastic music.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Fantasia - For it's superb classical soundtrack
    Excalibur - IMO, the Wagnerian soundtrack worked really well with the visuals, as did the Carmina Burana.
    Also, the soundtracks to the Civil War movie, Glory, Henry V, and Raiders of the Lost Ark are good as well.

14. Sir Goulum Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like Gladiator and all of the Lord of the Rings' soundtracks. Last Samurai has some pretty good songs on it too.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cinema Paradiso
    Grease
    Star Wars - all of them
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Omen

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I lean more towards favoring soundtracks that are composed and orchestrated.

With that in mind, soundtracks that I currently enjoy the most are...

The Empire Strikes Back, the shiz daddy of all Star Wars soundtracks, it masters both blaring adventure music and soft, calm music with just the right touches of light-heartedness, darkness, and chilling. The Phantom Menace is the next best, and all the rest of the SW movies have great soundtracks, I just pick two I favor a little more.

The Fellowship of the Ring is the shiz daddy of LOTR soundtracks with the sheer amount of coolness packed in its tracks. Two Towers follows not far behind. Return of the King is suprisingly a little weak as far as what was released, what's in the movie is far better. I just think that particular soundtrack did not represent the movie as well as it could have.

Gladiator is a rip roaring soundtrack. I highly reccomend this soundtrack if you need music to work out to or to listen to while you crank out a paper the night before it's due.

Right up there in the rip roaring department is also Pirates of the Carribean, another superb soundtrack ready to get you pumped.

And most recently I've discovered the Alexander soundtrack to be a gem. Vangelis did a good job with that one. A lot of middle eastern and eastern flair is added to it. It's different, but good.

There are other soundtracks such as Troy or even Titanic that have *some* good music and themes, but I'm just sticking to listing to what I have discovered to be the cream of the crop. ;)

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man. You people do talk funny at times. What on earth is a “shiz daddy”? I can only assume from the context that it must be something good.

18. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would assume so too. I guess it's like saying it's the granddaddy.

Personally I prefer the Star Wars soundtracks. I especially like the Main Theme and The Imperial March tracks. It also brings me memories of my childhood. The first trilogy was sheer magic to me. SF and Fantasy rolled into one. In retrospect, it was what probably made RPGs attractive to me.

The Superman Theme is also nice.

A little cheesy, but I like the Pretty Woman Soundtrack as well.

19. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The "Score" of Cradle Of Fear is really cool It's a mix of Metal and Techno mixed togheter by a DJ and it really sounds like an original score.

Maybe this is also because of the fackt that they used lots of underground bands...

I also Loved the Ring soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and the music from the LOTR movies.

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.