1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's your favorite Superhero?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by LKD, May 31, 2005.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] We've had a thread for the X-Men, but they are not the only superheroes out there. So I am starting this thread to ask this most important question.

Please identify your hero clearly, and state whether they are Marvel, DC, or whatever.

I'll kick it off by saying I LOVE Marvel comics Captain Marvel. She was sexy, smart, and FREAKING powerful -- she could shoot energy, become energy, and do all sorts of neat tricks.

Plus, liking her fulfils my NAACP requirement to have at least one favorite individual from a minority group :evil:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tough question. I've had various favourites over the years. I really have to go with the guys whose powers I wished I had as a kid, so that would be Green Lantern (he could get anything he wanted with that ring) and Aquaman (even though his powers are now considered to be pretty lame, I used to wish I could breath underwater and communicate with sting rays and killer whales)

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I think at the moment it's probably Hellboy. I just love his attitude and style; the complete opposite of the flamboyant, spandex-clad masses that populate the majority of western comics without being the tormented, angsty anti-hero he could so easily have been. Mignola's artwork is lovely and theres a subdued, brooding sense about the narrative that revolves around its unique, eccentric and stoic central character.

[ June 02, 2005, 00:01: Message edited by: Will ]

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I would have to say the Thing. Not only did he look cool but I also liked his attitude and sense of humour.

I took me only a few seconds of seeing how badly the Thing looked/acted/sounded in the Fantastic Four film previews for me to become completely soured at the film.

Apart from the X-Men I mentioned in the X-Men thread I would have to give honourable mention to

Batman - o.k. he has varied from being too campy to too crazy and everywhere in between but there is still something fundamentally cool about the character. To tell you the truth I prefer the Batman the Animated Series version of him over the comic book one.

Spider-Man - you have to love old hard luck Peter Parker. Somehow no other comic book character ever seemed so much like a real person as he did.

The grey version of the Hulk from Peter David's run on the comic - grey, intelligent, vicious, nasty, and a wicked sense of humour sure beats green and stupid. His job as Mr. Fixit was great fun while it lasted although I suppose it is questionable whether or not he should qualify as a hero during that period.

Ms. Marvel - the Carol Danvers version, not the Sharon Ventura She-Thing version. Before Rogue wiped her out Ms. Marvel was a pretty cool character. Oh, and no I did not like the recovered body/recovery/Binary storyline - as far as I am concened that was an entirely new character and completely seperate from Ms. Marvel who lived on within Rogue's mind.

5. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I don't know much about comic book heroes, but from the little I have seen, I like Starfire and, naturally, Raven from the Team or Teen? Titans, and Wolverine from the X-men. Is there a website devoted to discussing and detailing comic book heroes? Most of the sites I have seen are selling used comics or not descriptive enough.

6. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Chris Claremont :D

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Vice Admiral James Bond Stockdale or Audey Murphy -- whoops off-topic....

Iron Man was awesome. Most of my money from my paper route went to The Hulk (and junk food). And Batman was good after he became the dark avenger again.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The Punisher. Tossing mafiosi off the Empire State Building, nuking an island full of terrorists, running Wolverine over with a steamroller, kidnapping Bruce Banner and sicking the Hulk on Daredevil, Spiderman, and Wolverine, feeding a mobster to a snake, a different mobster to pirahnas, and the head honcho to a couple polar bears...ah, good fun.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Hmmm, so many superheroes to consider...I think I could do a top five, but not one:

5. Ben Grimm - The Thing, nothing better than yelling "It's Clobberin' Time!" or " 'Nuff Said."
    4. Captain America
    3. Batman - Possibly the best superhero because he's not a superhero at all, just brains, cunning and gadgets!
    2. Wolverine...Popular pick, but what can I do? He's a bad man!
    1. Hulk...Just like The Thing; big, bad, and green!

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, looks like Sir Belisarius and I have a fair amount of overlap. I can't say that I thought much of Captain America - he was far too much of a goodie two shoes, stick in the mud, bland and boring boyscout for my taste.

His book did get a little more interesting when Diamondback and Crossbones were added to the regular cast but they were what was interesting and the Captain was just a stick in the mud boyscout that they were able to play off of.

Besides, if I listed him as one of my favourite characters I would probably have my Canadian citizenship revoked. ;) Um, is it too late for me to add a bunch of Alpha Flight members to my list? :lol:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, Captain America has not really aged well, in my opinion. He's a bit of World War patriotism icon.

Actually, one of my favourites is The Phantom. Like Batman, he has no real powers (if you ignore the cartoon version who had the ability to call on the 'power of TEN tigers').

12. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

There are just too many to list, though I always like Reed Richards. It wasn't his powers that made him cool, it was his brain. Hell, lets just add all of the Fantastic Four.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Alpha Flight?!?!? I was trying to remember that! Puck was awesome!! I am a big hockey fan! I think I may have Alpha Flight 1 through 5 somewhere in my basement...

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Captain Fastbreak - The fat guy in red tights who ensures that ad breaks on MTV are 40 secs or less. :p

Batman - Only in the animated series and a few of his comics. That 70's "Holy Fcukup"-Batman & Robin was a piece of crap imo. Catwoman was so :love:

Wolverine - :evil: 'nuff said.

Phantom - Specially the 2040 version. The comics were good but the movie was :sick:

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Pick Boy. :D

Sorry, my little brothers watch Nickelodeon incessantly. In all seriousness, either Dr. Strange, or Deadpool. Granted, Deadpool May not be precisely a "hero", but he's still pretty cool. And the good Doctor is just awesome. And criminally underused.

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Spiderman all the way for me. I've been reading it for 28 years.

17. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Spongebob Squarepants! Oh, he doesn't count, eh? Then, it's the Batman, the only real detective in Detective Comics, and Spiderman.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

when I think too much I can´t decide, so I´m just going to go ahead with my instinctive answer and say Batman. His parents were killed, yes, but he gets the chicks by day and kicks evil ass at night and all with no superpowers.

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I used to play TSRs "Marvel Super Heroes" role playing game as a kid. Man, I loved that game.

They classified characters as follows (sorry if this is :yot: ):

High-Tech Wonders: Iron Man, Batman, Black Knight
    Aliens: Superman, Thor, the Kree Capt. Marvel
    Mutants: All the X-Men, many others
    Induced mutants: Spider-man, the Flash, Daredevil
    Altered Humans: similar classification as above, though if it were a complete restructuring on a non-genetic level it was considered this)
    Robotic: The Vision, the original Human Torch.

High tech also included magic items and other accoutrements besides electronics, and of course there was always some overlap. Many people seem to like the ballsy High Tech Wonders because they strike out against forces that seem so much more powerful, and it's easy to accentuate their heroism by removing their gear and they STILL behave heroically. That can be done with pretty well anyone, but it often requires creative plot devices.

I wish I could collect comics again!

20. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Thor isn't an alien. He is a god.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.