1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BG Movie?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Veldrin the Drow, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Veldrin the Drow Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I was wondering what everyone would think of a BG Trilogy Movie?!?! It would have to be done really well but i would think i could be a great film. What do you think???

2. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Absolutely COOL!
    I am allfor d0od! Well, I think it would be rather a draggy movie with all the battles and stuff but it is bound to be a smash hit!

Well, IMO anywayz...

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

One exclamation or one question mark will do the job, I think. Though I'm sure some mod will point that out soon anyway.

Anyway, I'd be all for the idea. Too bad BG doesn't have nearly enough fame for it to be made into a movie. There've been discussions here before concerning the possible actors and changes in plot etc. An interesting thought, it is.

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I doubt it would interest any publishers/directors from Hollywood, except for the budget category, and they will ruin it.

Besides, if you make a BG Trilogy movie...thats a WHOOOLE lot of movie. :D Not that I mind. :D

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31

BG is too long to make into a series of movies. You would need a mini-series much like 'Band of Brothers'. The problem with mini-series is that they are often only done for things like 'Band of Brothers' which is a historical renactment of Easy Company's World War II service. I'm not saying a BG Mini-series wouldn't sell, it would just be too damn risky - you'd need good actors (costs money); good CG effects (costs money); you'd need the WotC liscence (costs money); you'd have to take ONE path (I'd picture a Neutral-Good human Thief->Fighter) and include a hell of alot of sub-quests; heaps of action scenes which need to be organised (costs even more money) and finally you'll need HEAPS of advertising to entice more than the D&D crowd.

With such high setup costs for something that isn't going to be put into the cinema (think LotR costs) and the huge risk involved, I don't think it'll ever happen. Unless we can find an American with more money than brains... not saying we can't, but then we have to convince them to not laugh at us for being nerds.

6. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

They said the same thing about the resident evil movie. Now the second one is about to be released. Never really know what hollywood will do.

7. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Resident Evil was one of the best known games to begin with. Besides which the whole undead theme isn't exactly a new and untried concept, even if rare these days.

And let's not forget that LoTR really is the only truly "succesful" fantasy movie ever made.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I'm certain we can all remember the flop of the 'Dungeons and Dragons' movie. Black elves that aren't Drow? Tall Dwarves? Beholder's beeing fooled by throwing a rock into bushes? Rod of Red Dragon control? What the hell?!

9. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, a BG movie would be arsekicktastical.
    Too bad it's not going to happen
    :borg:

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The biggest problem Hollywood would have making a BG film is the huge amount of special effects required to make the magic look real. I think if Hollywood could get the director and the special effect crew from 'The Lord of the Rings' then the movie might have a chance.

Just imagine what the film would be like if a character in the movie summoned a skeleton and it was animated like the "Deadites" from 'Army of Darkness'! The movie would go from serious action movie with a deep plot, to just laughable. :rolling:

11. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Kitrax: :lol: you have two good points there though... LotR was really fine, amongst others in the field of special effects.
    However, it was a lot more large-scale then BG or BG2 will ever be... I don't any part of the Saga ever contained more than (and probably less) a couple dozen enemies at the time... whereas LotR featured people (and filthy orcses) in the tens of thousands.
    :borg:

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If treated properly, it would certainly be a fantastic film, but that would probably take more talent than Hollywood would be willing to spend on it because in the big scheme, it's not really that well-known a property AFAIK. I mean, if my brother-in-law hadn't introduced me to the BG2 game, I'd know nothing about it really, whereas anyone who's alive (and old enough I guess) had heard of LotR before the films.

Maybe they should just pull their collective fingers out and make the FR TV series first in order to raise the awareness a little more.

That said though, it really would be a damn good film/trilogy if done right.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.