1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hero

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Apeman, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] I think this movie come out this weekend in america but here in Europe it's on DVD already and I just got it. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon falls silent compared to the scenery on this film. I really enjoyed it, you do have to have an open mind to most of the fight scenes but the way they filmed it is groundbreaking.

I would recommend this film to everyone who enjoys martial arts in an extreme kind of way.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have heard that this is definitely one not to be missed.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

is this the Jet Li film? You guys are only getting it now? :eek:

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't think it has even arrived in New Zealand yet. We have a wide release date of November 2004. It came out in China in October 2002.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yeah, it came out here in the philippines AT LEAST 2 years ago iirc because i was still in high school when it came out...

wow, how odd, usually we get movies months after the U.S. must be the proximity to China.

6. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If it's a Jet Li movie, it's my mission in life to see it, so this is definitely on my must-see list now.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

It came out at least a year ago, got it for Christmas last year I think, if it wasn't two years ago. and it's a great movie. It's one of my favorite movies. to does who haven't seen it, it tells the same story a couple of times, with different themes according to the color of there clothes. well you have to see the movie

8. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31

I saw it about... oh a month ago. Its a very good movie, the scenery is nothing short of epic. The entire film is amazing. The segmenting of the plot into the different stories was technical brilliance.

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I rented it a few weeks back... and yeah, it is absolutely awesome. The use of color in the setting of the scenes had me almost weeping, and the way the plot twists and turns... made me almost cry.

One thing, though... what are the English names for the warriors, since I think the Finnish translation was slightly differing on them?

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Jet Li! Must... see... it! ;)

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i hope you don't include his much earlier (while young and unknown) works :eek:

i studied in a chinese-oriented high school (didn't learn any chinese though) and sometimes, when we had time to kill after exams they would make us watch these old Jet Li movies, when he'd have a bald head except for the long braid at the back.

These movies consisted of a "you killed my father/mother/brother/teacher/lover and i must now make it my mission to kill you by the end of this movie by using a secret move that i will just have painstakingly perfected!" plot and dialogue such as "my swan style will crush your crane style!" good for a laugh, but not very much else. also, its all in chinese so the bad grammar subtitles were kind of annoying :/

12. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

@ Arabwel

Nameless(jet Li)
    Broken sword (Tony Leung)
    Flying snow (Maggie Cheung)
    Sky (Donnie Yen)
    Moon (Zhang Ziyi)

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Enagonios, they're showing those movies on BBC1 at midnight on a Friday here. I like it! ;)

14. Arabwel

Media:
    Thanks, Equester... the names were indeed a bot bit different in the Finnish translation. Instead of mere "Moon" we had "akin to Moon" and instead of "Sky" we had "Wind"...

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Actually, of his erlier films I have 3 Once Upon A Time In China movies, Shaolin Temple, Kids From Shaolin, The Master and The Last Hero In China on video and thoroughly enjoy them all. I also had Dr Wei In The Scripture With No Words as well but it was 'borrowed' by a friend before he moved away.

16. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

just checked, my Copy of Hero is from 2002 and that is the Scandinavian Dvd, so you must get your "new" Dvd's pretty late Apeman :D

17. Arabwel

Media:
    Hmm, if I recall correctly, I've seen some of those older movies as well. they're definitely enjoyable to watch, if not good in the cinematic sense.

Anyone else think, btw, that in one of the new film versions of the three musketeers (this one was titled "the Musketeer" iirc,) they copied quite a bit of the coreography from the Once Upon A Time In China? The entire ladder scene was SO similar that I nearly laughed my parts off.

18. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Aaah well, at least I got pleasently surprised with the outcome. I saw a trailer of it on apple.com and then I saw the DVD lying in a shop here in Holland. Bought it....loved it.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@The kilted crusader and arabwel

haha they're pretty good for a few laughs, but in this country, i didnt get cable tv til i hit like 10, so everything up til then consisted of plots like that, make em kinda hard to swallow. but ill admit, i havent seen them in a while so i wouldnt mind :p i love the (stereotyped martial arts training) part where they gotta go to the well with a stick carrying two buckets, fill them up with water and run up the stairs to the dojo :p usually, just as some bad guy finishes the master off with a super move ;) hehe.

20. Arabwel

Media:
    Well, Enagonios, i still don't have cable... i am forced to renting these movies. But it's worth it, being able to rewind and re-watch the bbest parts.

(Can't afford DVDs :( )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.