1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Donnie Darko

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by SleepleSS, Jun 6, 2004.

1. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] IMHO one of the best movies ever! (The best if you don't count LOTR and Cube). I saw this movie mentioned in various posts here so I tought I give it it's own topic.

What are your thoughts about it?

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Never heard of it. What's it about?

3. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] It's abput a disturbed boy. It's also about love and a giant bunny!

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's class. Some people might find it to be a bit wierd but it is a refreshing change from what you normally see at the movies. I gave it 81/100.

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Currently my favourite film. I bought the DVD a couple of weeks ago, after my sister said she'd heard it was good, and after it had finished I stared at the screen for about half an hour, running it through my head. If you don't like having to think through a film, you'll miss out on a lot of interesting moments, many of which I didn't notice until the second time through watching it.

Spoilers:
    A quick question to anyone who knows a lot about the film - what was Frank's motivation for appearing to Donnie? Was it in revenge for Donnie killing him later on, or was it because he felt guilty about Gretchen's death, as in the end she did survive? I really didn't understand why Frank was doing all this.

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Frank did appear to survive I guess... The things that lead to his death where also leading to a time/space wormhole.

Prevent something so it can happen. That is the motivation.

7. Gehn Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The whole film takes place in an alternate reality, from the point when the crash happens. Donnie being at the center of it is given the "abilities or powers" if you like that we percieve as his schizophrenic imaginings/halucinations. He becomes a far more believable comic book style hero basicly, as he is given such powers, eg he also has super strength - the axe in the bulldog statue's head- (classic comic book narratives and comic form where a BIG influence for Richard kelly in the making of this film). Frank, is a guide for Donnie, someone who will get him to where he needs to be to get the alternate reality back to the proper one, for reasons you previous posters stated (however he isn't conciously aware of this). Basicly everyone else in the movie is technically in a trance like state, but they are helpless in being directly instrumental in the returing of this alternate or paradoxical reality. So supposedly they are "drawn" toward Donnie, they know there is something different about him e.g that rather wierd scene with Drew Barrymore and Noah Wyle where they are sitting in teachers lounge. Noah's chaacter says "Donnie Darko" to Drew's character she replies "I Knoow." They all help Donnie in their own way, all without knowing, as they are all driven by a force that is intent upon righting the wrong (the accident that ruptures reality).

As this film is very much about possibility and the concept of time, Frank being Donnie's Sister's boyfreind feels an inate urge toward Donnie, as while caught up in this time rupture it is obvious their paths cross strongly and futures collide, also being of kindred mind to Donnie there is another link between him and Donnie. Basicly the reason why Frank was "chosen" to be Donnie's guide is never really answered in concrete, and quite frankly there isn't a need to. As this film takes the concept of the existence of a "greater" being that may or may not be a God associated figure, who has ultimate control over the universe, and it is this entity's hands and reason that are behind righting this "accident". So the reasoning of this entity is supposed to be beyond our comprehension (the whole "God works in mysterious ways" concept). This is why there are no solid conclusions as to why Frank was chosen, but never-the-less we can be sure he is a "Gaurdian Angel" figure.

This analysis is pretty much 100% correct as i obtained the knowledge through watching Director Richard Kelly's commentary, and my own observations of the film. If there's anything i haven't explained properly please feel free to ask. It is very late at the moment of typing and my brain isn't working at 100% efficiency. :)

8. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Except that Frank isn't a guardian angels, he's the spark that lights the fuse. Remember it's the same Frank that kills Gretchen that Donnie is seeing. Frank appears to Donnie just before the jet engine hits the house for the first time, he says "In 28 days, 8 hours, 12 minutes and 48 seconds the world will end", he's warning Donnie that he will die. That Frank is the Frank from the future that runs over Gretchen and then is shot by Donnie, then after Gretchen is killed and Donnie steals the car, he travels back in time to when the jet engine of his mother plane lands on him and crushes him. Thats why, Gretchen rides her bike past the scene and everything returns to as it was if Donnie had died.

I've seen the movie something like 11 times in all different mindsets, and thats just what I gathered from it.

9. Gehn Gems: 7/31

All true. But all you are saying is just plotline. He is the "spark that lights *A* fuse" yes, but that doesn't mean he can't or isn't still a guardian angel type character. But him being the spark that lights the fuse doesn't mean that's his sole purpose, as by being a catalyst of sorts he is setting Donnie on the right path, hence "helping" him. It's not a film about redemtion for ones actions. Frank isn't helping, warning, directing etc, Donnie because of some acts that he will commit (killing Gretchen), the only purpose he has is to help Donnie set things right. This film is about possibility and choice and how they overlap eachother. The why Frank was chosen has very little importance. He is there for a function like all the other characters; to help set things right. That's all that is important.

10. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Guarding Angel? No I think not. He was just there to prevent a thing from happening, just to make it happen. Withoud Frank Donnie would never been intrested in time travel. Frank teached Donnie some things that lead to the dead that Frank did prevent.

And then it happend maybe the movie is about fate...

11. Gehn Gems: 7/31

Fate? Possibility and choice have very much to do with fate. And all you are saying is just proving my point that he IS a gaurdian Angel of sorts. And for all your information, watch the dvd with Richard Kelly's commentary (THE BLOODY WRITER AND DIRECTOR OF THE FILM), and you will hear some of things i have said being said by him. So don't say it's wrong, because it isn't, he said them!
    If people have their own takes on a film, that's fine, because there aren't always right and wrong answers when interpreting a film. However there ARE intended ones, those of which the creators put in to their own film. You cannot argue with these.
    Frank is a guardian Angel in a sense, ok?. If you would stop thinking so two dimensionaly for a second you would see that. You know at the begining and end of the film when his sister gets back late at night, when she is inside a car beebs it's horn as it drives away. That is Frank in his car. So at the end Frank is tooting his horn, and in that saying, "we did it donnie!" THAT i did not work out for myself, i was TOLD it by Richard Kelly. Frank was working with Donnie all along you see. Frank IS a gaurdian Angel in the sense that he is making sure that Donnie does not stray off the desired path. Just because Donnie's experience with Frank is somewhat morbid, and dark, does not mean that Frank is some sort of villainous presence. A gaurdian Angel can take many forms, not just the stereotypical, sweet voiced, all in white, wings come as standard type! Which Frank is NOT.

12. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] Yeah, In that case your right. I just misunderstood your earlier bit. I guess... Frank may be my guarding angel anyday!

13. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Frank is awesome..this movie is awesome :D

14. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] These quotes are taken from the book by Roberta Ann Sparrow, The Philosophy of Time Travel.

So Frank wasn't trying to get revenge on Donnie or anything he was just trying to save the universe.

So it is in fact Frank who both Starts and Ends the tangent universe, but he couldn't have started it without dying - yet he only died because the tangent universe existed. A real mindbender that.

One of my fav films of all time this. Seen it a gazillion times. Edit: Just realised it was an old topic. Oh well, felt like I had to add this.

15. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Saw it last week with a friend who commented that it was one of the best films he's ever seen. I love it, since I see myself in Donnie to a certain extent. I cried again.

16. Gehn Gems: 7/31

It truly is a masterpiece. One of the best films that had relative commercial success made in the last 10 years IMHO. Wonderful.

17. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I know I gave it 12.6 / 13.1

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You know, when I originally read this, it sounded like a really interesting movie, so a while ago I watched it when it came up again on HBO.

Can't say I see the appeal... I found your descriptions and explanations of the movie far more interesting than the true experience. <shrug>

19. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31

@BTA, had you read this topic and, many, spoiler/explanations first though?

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had read this topic, yes. That was the only reason I watched it. I had seen it come up on HBO before, and the description looked crappy (something about a supernatural rabbit), so I never tuned it in. After reading all the raves in this topic, I watched it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.