1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stats of the characters you are playing with?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Hassassin, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Yesterday I have reinstalled BG II, and removed add-ons and everything except the Bioware patch - to play it for a last time with the core rules, before I place the game 'ad acta'. So - I took a inqusitor - started to generate the char, and decided to get the stats sum at least 92. But after few rolls I have got 97 ! :lol: So :

STR 18/65
    DEX 18
    CON 16
    INT 10
    WIS 18
    CHR 17

Anyway - the question is - what are the stats of the chars you others are playing with ?
    This is not meant to be about cheating, or powergaming, this is about how do you create your chars. E.g - for a fighter - do you take everything possible from CHAR or INT (to leave it at value 5-6) or do you start 'more balanced' characters ? I personally hate to have anything below 9 :D

[ December 05, 2002, 19:49: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Cha & Dex & Str at max on every char. (Low prices, better armor class and carrying capacity)
    Then max others by char type (Int for wizards, for example). Then assing them by usability. Usually wis is the lowest.

3. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Oh yes, I also hate having anything below than 9, because I want to roleplay my character (think about character with INT 3 - he can't speak. Or CHA 3 - he's uglier than troll). It makes making characters quite difficult. Elven rangers are nice, because they can't get any stat below 8. Paladins are also nice (charisma always at least 17).

4. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Max out STR, DEX, CON for damage, weight allowance, armour class, and hit points then max the prime requisite for the class. Usually CHA is lowest (easily fixed with the ring of human influence found early in the game anyways). I try to make the lowest stat 4 so that I can sacrifice it to three later on in the game.

[ December 04, 2002, 20:22: Message edited by: Blog ]

5. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The character i've got right now was rolled up in BG a while back and imported right at the start of it so I could use him over and over, and because it's the best roll I ever got. (made up for all those really bad ones i always seem to get :( )

STR 18
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 15
    WIS 16
    CHA 18

Thats without the tomes from BG as I used them on the NPC's in BG.

6. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@ Vermillion
    Are you serious? :whoa: You rolled 103? Did it take loooong time?

7. Nocturno Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I rolled these -not too bad- stats for my current game using an Inquisitor:

STR:18/95
    DEX:18
    CON:18
    INT:10
    WIS:13
    CHA:17

(during the course of the game I raised STR and CHA with some items)

8. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My rules for allocating points:
    1/ 18 in prime attribute(s)
    2/ 18 in Dexterity (low AC and good missile bonus)
    3/ 16 in Constitution (18 for fighters) (improves hit points)
    4/ decent strength (for carrying capacity)

I reroll for a little while in an attempt to get decent scores, but I don't spend hours trying to increase a total of 90 to 91.

Pretty simple really.

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

[​IMG] Yep, serious. Now bear in mind that I usually only get one or two great starts (16 upwards) after averaging things out. Only took a few rolls, and I never spend a long time rolling stats up, I did the first time and got soooo bored at it. Incidntly i forgot to mention that the STR had the percentile score of 84 which I could definately live with :D .

10. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Interesting - I am ignoring the second part of the 18/xx STR (ok, to be honest it SHOULD be at least 30 :D ). But from my experience there are heaps of items giving +1 STR or setting it to some higher value.
    As for the wisdom - I have currently for the first time 18 - and there are really new horizonts open in the dialog options :D .

BTW: Does anyone know the difference between the effects of INT and WIS on dialog options available ?

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31

Yep there is, but thats the starting stats like I said, I actually did give him a tome of STR I found out when I looked at my BG2 save from the start of it.

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Don't you hate it when you get a good roll but 18/05? :mad:

I expect my fighter's strength to be at least 18/50 because IIRC some older AD&D games adds one extra point of damage and THAC0 at 18(50). Not sure if this applies to BG2, but its still a habit for me.

Hassassin: I started this thread that was intended to explore differences in the game depending on WIS, INT and CHA. Replies were somewhat limited IMHO, so please add to it if possible, just to keep things on topic. :)

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Here are a set of acceptable starting stats for a Fighter in BG2:
    Str 9
    Dex 3
    Con 3
    Int 11
    Wis 8
    Cha 3

Before you go complaining about how these stats are too low and that it's going to be too hard, here are the effective stats of the same character relatively early in chapter 2:
    Str 19 (Girdle)
    Dex 18 (Gauntlets)
    Con 18 (Girdle)
    Int 11
    Wis 8
    Cha 18 (Ring)
    Those are acceptable, don't you think?
    :p

14. komei Gems: 5/31

How do you wear 2 girdles?

I managed to get after rolling for not to long the following for a Paladin

STR 18/xx (cant remeber xx, in the 60's I think)
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 8
    WIS 14
    CHA 18

Thing is, apart from Mindflayers which I shall be very careful of with this main character, is there any other bad consequence of have such a relatively low INT score? If there are certain dialogue options which depend on INT and WIS to have positive effects, once you know them you can drink Potions of Genius and Insight just before perhaps?

[ December 06, 2002, 06:10: Message edited by: komei ]

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The one has a spell effect that lasts for 8 hours. So, you put it on, cast the spell, then switch to the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength.

16. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Heh, well:
    half-elf fighter\mage\cleric imported from BG1
    STR 19
    DEX 19
    CON 19
    INT 19
    WIS 21
    CHA 4

In Icewind Dale I managed to make this one:
    half-elf fighter\mage\cleric
    STR 18
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 18
    WIS 18
    CHA 8
    Not bad :D

17. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Not one for re-rolling until I'm blue in the face, so most of my characters have had very average stats. I once got lucky with a ranger and ended up with the following:

STR: 18/58
    DEX: 18
    CON: 18
    INT: 17
    WIS: 18
    CHA: 18

I damned near fell off my chair when I saw that.

18. Sylvan Gems: 5/31

My Kensai/Mage was:
    Str 12
    Dex 18
    Con 18
    Int 18
    Wis 10
    Cha 14

That is before he was loaded up with various gauntlets, girdles and rings to increase his abilities.
    More often than not I let the NPC's sit back and watch while he carved up the enemies with spells and metal alike :evil:

19. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The best roll I ever got was for the multi-class mage/thief I am currently playing with.

STR 18
    DEX 19
    CON 17
    INT 18
    WIS 12
    CHA 11

Not as good as some of the others, but a total of 95 is still mighty fine!

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Contrary to prevailing tendency I'm actually roleplaying the protagonist. And I also adhere to the school that prefers making the character like yourself (or part of yourself if you like). For this reason nothing is below 10. Generaly the sum total is to be high (cause I am gifted. period.), but f.e. con & dex are relatively low my being a paladin.

All the values given are without powerups after completing the whole saga

LG Human Paladin

STR 19 (I didn't find the instr. at WK to raise this one)
    DEX 14
    CON 12
    INT 14 (The only one stat lower than my own)
    WIS 22
    CHA 20

My own stats according to the test at
    http://blanchard.virtualave.net/war/dndstats.html
    are following:

STR: well, I didn't get this one
    DEX: 12
    CON: 11
    INT: 15
    WIS: 17
    CHA: 18

Quite accurate, only the number of questions was too low, so each nay results in one point less. IQ counter is bugged (I have 146 anyway), so INT is only given for education. Wisdom and Charisma above 18 are not featured to my utmost grief. I believe they have considerably increased from the initial ones. But you see the general tendency. AD&D being mediaeval-oriented you may well assume your character received more training than you and thus give him some point or two more. The same could be done to INT for mages, WIS for priests and maybe CHA for druids, bards and pallies.

Advice: If running through whole saga, don't care about the percentile dice for strength ie 18/xx xx part. You'll get a tome to increase it. There's a tome for each stat (two for wisdom if you're REALLY evil) and one for wisdom in ToSC. Well, if you know of more let me know at chevalier@o2.pl . Because of this reason unless you're very strict in roleplaying terms you should rather get as much 18s (or 19s for sme races) as possible at he expense of remaining stats, to get the normally unavailable bonuses. It's worth it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to mail me anyway.

[ December 15, 2002, 00:08: Message edited by: chevalier des Trois-Tours ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.