1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Guitar Solo

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sarevok•, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

:eek: Doesn't she play the oboe?

I'm shocked no one has mentioned Joe Satriani Surfing With The Alien is incredible.

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Kirk Hammett here too after having seen him last night play his heart out - Welcome Home (Sanitarium). What a performance. The old man's got it in him still.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hammett's amazing to^^ Strange no mention of Paul Gilberts stuff ;z

4. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

^

I am seeing Kirk Hammet play tomorrow night, and then again on Monday. He truly is a great player.

Tassadar, what did they play in their set at BDO?

5. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I thought about mentioning Paul Gilbert, does that count?

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hammet is overrated especially after we had a Radio station name him the #1 guitarist of all.

They seemed to forget about Paige, Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, Moriello, and just about every other guitarist in the world.

7. Smoothbrain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

May not be the most technical but I have always loved the duo in Hotel California. Joe Walsh rocks (at least when he is just stoned enough to be creative)

8. Yochimbo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Shawn Lane (RIP :( ) on Heretics with Jonas Hellborg and John Sipe. Blindingly fast, tasteful, and phunky as hell

9. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

the solo from Johnny by System of a Down.... makes me titter every time i hear it.

10. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I gotta go with Smoothbrain, Hotel California has some of the best guitar ever in it.

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's my choice too. What a great song, and an even better solo. :rolling:

12. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Bit off topic, but since Krik Hammett's been named a few times, did you know he learned to play from Joe Satriani?

13. dustyandpistolp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Okay guys,
    you've all named some pretty good solos- "Machine Gun" is up there with the top, "Angel of Death", as any self-respecting music fan should know, on the classic 1986 Slayer LP 'Reign in Blood' is pretty damn good, 'Cliffs of Dover' is definitely a successful piece of guitar masturbation, David Gilmour is certainly no loser...
    but what about going beyong just moving your hands damn fast, what about the joyful recklessness off sloppiness, dissonance, and not knowing how to play your instrument- go look at Lou Reed's classic Velvet era 'I heard her call my name', pure grime, better than anything up there, or those brilliantly shaky, winding and unbearably catchy Steve Malkmus solos from Pavement when you physycally cant stop yourself from just singing along cause its infectious, or Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, creating strange beauty out of fractured freak-out out-of-tune twin guitar workouts- they kick every 80's guitar god with their two hand tapping out of existence-
    remember friends and music lovers (though not as much as me I assure you), music is about what is played, not showing off what you can play.

14. Defspeal Gems: 5/31

Anything by rage against the machine, Tom Morello on the guitar is awesome :p

15. tabari Gems: 3/31

Frank Zappa has done some nice guitar work.
    I have been listening to alot of Robert Johnson lately. Right now he is my favorite guitar player. But you probably meant rock and my vote has to go to Jimi. I wish I could have seen him play.
    I have seen Allman Bros. three times and they are awesome.
    Also saw Bad Brains once and remember a guitar solo that was pretty mean. That was a good show.

16. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I can't get a one.
    But it would have to be something from Joe Satriani. He's got songs, like The headless horseman or Day at the beach that are like songlong solos.

17. metal leper Gems: 5/31

Morningstar - I think Kirk only had about 10 lessons with Joe, not long before Metallica recorded Kill 'em All, but I could be wrong..

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Maxwell Murder by Rancid. It's actually bass, but it's still a guitar!

Bad Religion's album 'Suffer' has some great solos too.

19. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31

I'd have to say One by Metallica

20. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Best? No, but great.

Ernie Isley - The Isley Brothers - Who's that lady?

An acid jazz fan? Listen to Mr. Isley lay down his portion of the foundation of acid jazz guitar with this slab of funk. :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.