1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is This Man Cheating on His Wife?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Mountain Hare: I take it you hadn't read my post before you finished writing out this one? Because my complete Webster's didn't list sex as a requirement.

2. The Mountain Hare Banned

Too bad the Merriam-Webster online dictionary doesn't back you up, eh?

3. Drew

Media:
    Whatever. I don't need to convince you that I'm right, Mountain Hare. You're going to think what you're going to think.....and I imagine you have access to a local library or book store with a copy of the latest and greatest dictionary available where you can look the word up in more detail if you really want to. Do whatever you want. ;)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Drew: You do have a point there. ;) I was trying to get some substance in the concept of cheating while getting over the ambiguity of the phrase. It was like trying to rescue the unrescuable. I don't actually feel home discussing "cheating". I can discuss if it was adultery, if it was a breach of trust or if it was moral or not, but ambiguous unprecisable terms aren't really my homeworld. ;)

@TMH: I will decline the pleasure of further conversation.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    You are arguing about the use of a word which is nearly exclusively used in an informal manner in this context and therefore open to different interpretations by default (as evidenced by different dictionary explanations presented here, not all of which mention sex specifically). If anyone here wanted to be precise, we'd be talking about adultery. Now that one you can argue over like you're doing now if anyone was to claim that in their opinion adultery doesn't have to involve sex.

But with "cheating", you're just making a fool of yourself trying to convince everyone of your right.

6. The Mountain Hare Banned

Good god. You know that people are set in their ways when they refuse to acknowledge that the 5 dictionaries I referred to all point out that in the context of marriage, there must be sexual activity for cheating to occur.

Talun:
    Umm, any definition of 'cheating' I supplied was relevant to the context of 'marriage', and EVERY definition exclusively stated that sexual activity was a prerequisite for cheating. Is that just a coincidence?
    Note that I selected the first 5 online dictionaries I came across: I didn't trawl through them selectively to find definitions which suited me.

chev:
    That's good, because I don't wanna talk to you anymore.

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm, seems my dictionary defines cheating as having a sexual relationship with someone other than one's spouse too.
    Then again, it was a free download. Dare to be different, eh kids? Allow this humble man his own viewpoint, though I'm vastly unqualified to pass judgement on such a case.

I reckon while he's not breaking his vows, he's breaking the spirit. He's obeying the letter, rather than the spirit of his marriage vows, which is as bad as cheating. While he may not be sloping off to some squalid lovenest, he's spending more time with a woman who isn't his wife, and they're engaging in a relationship, even if he hasn't played 'hide the sausage' with her.

8. Drew

Media:
    Aside from the fact that you are ignoring the definitions that I provided......Online dictionaries like Merriam Webster only provide full definitions of words if you are a paying customer. Dictionary.com, on the other hand, merely spiderwebs their definitions from other dictionary sites like the free sites run by Merriam-Webster and other dictionary companies like them, who also don't provide full definitions unless you are a paying customer. If you want to make a fool of yourself by relying on limited sources that don't give you all the information in an effort to show that the words of our fluid, constantly evolving language don't shift over time and don't carry multiple meanings in both text and subtext, through pre-suppostions and context, connotation and denotation, colloquial usage and formal versus informal use, knock yourself out. I don't mind if you choose to make yourself look like a fool and, I imagine, no one else on this board particularly minds, either.

You are free to make your semantic arguments as much as you want, but you need to remember that most of us aren't actually trying to get you to agree on exactly what cheating is. We are trying to get you to acknowledge that the matter is open to honest debate and that the meaning behind the colloquial usage of a word in our ever-evolving language isn't engraved in stone. Were such meanings engraved in stone, they would cease to be colloquialisms and would, instead, be part and parcel of the word's meaning.

[ August 26, 2007, 12:49: Message edited by: Drew ]

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I'd say this man isn't cheating his wife.
    There's a big difference between the real life and the second life characters, and whatever his avatar does is not real.
    Hardly anyone would consider talking with a real life friend (at work, a club or elsewhere) of the opposite gender on a regular basis as cheating, playing a computer character is even less.

He doesn't hide what he's doing, he even invited his wife to share his hobby.

The problem rather seems to be something different according to this passage in the original article :
    It seems like she dreams of him watching TV with her while he dreams of her playing SL with him.
    For his wife it would be the same core problem if he'd spend all his days working, reading books, doing or watching sports or doing another activity she doesn't share. Doing hardly anything together doesn't qualify as cheating, at least how it comes to mind when reading this question.

10. The Mountain Hare Banned

Drew:
    Why can't you lose gracefully?

11. Drew

Media:
    I lost? The fact that you are unwilling to either pay for a dictionary subscription, buy yourself a decent dictionary, or go to the library doesn't mean that I lost. That.....and, even if looking the word up in a complete dictionary didn't (which it does) support my point of view, that still wouldn't mean that I'm misusing a colloquialism.

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Because that would be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? Or maybe it's just stubborness. Who knows on this crazy ball of rock and water we call Earth?

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Playing stone deaf AND trolling at the same time? Just how desperate are you to get the Idiot plaque? I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume that you know that this is what you're doing and that you'll stop doing it. The moderating team is done with warnings now; the next step for you if you keep this up is the Idiot plaque, and if that doesn't help, a ban. There's no need to respond to me anywhere; we've discussed all this already, though apparently you haven't acknowledged anything I've written thus far.

14. The Mountain Hare Banned

Idiot plaque? Doesn't that amount to an ad hominem, which is expressly against the rules of this forum?

[No. Read up. -Tal]

[ August 26, 2007, 20:32: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

For the Christians, it's simple, yes, it is cheating.

Matthew 5:28 sums it up nicely:

While he is not directly looking at her, he is in some way lusting after her (a fantasy marriage counts). By that, he is cheating on her.

16. Drew

Media:
    Absolutely. It seems clear to me that, from a Christian perspective, this would also qualify as adultery (since I don't buy his "I have no sexual interest in her" argument for a second). From a secular perspective, though, it's a bit more hazy.

17. The Mountain Hare Banned

The Mountain Hare:
    So a supermod who strictly forbids personal attacks is more than happy to give an 'Idiot Plaque' to diligent posters. What an insult.

Oh wait, sorry. Perhaps your definition of 'insult' varies from mine. I'd quote dictionary definitions, but apparently they don't hold weight in this forum, which is the equivalent of 'The Twilight Zone'.

18. Drew

Media:
    Ad Hominem: An ad hominem argument consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim.

To get technical, since an Ad Hominem is actually a response to an argument and the idiot plaque is used not as an argument but as a punishment for repeated breaches of the forum rules, it does not in fact, qualify as an ad hominem. It does, however, qualify as a plaque. :)

19. The Mountain Hare Banned

It is an ad hominem when you bestow the 'Idiot Plaque' to discredit a poster.

20. Drew

Media:
    OK, Mountain Hare. You obviously know better than me.

[ August 27, 2007, 13:33: Message edited by: Drew ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.