1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Welfare. (huh!) What is it good for? Absolutely...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 12, 2007.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The question regarding welfare that MH brings up is worth looking at: Who deserves welfare?

I support the idea of SOME welfare because I know that in the future, circumstances may arise that will require me to seek the aid and compassion of others. I help so that in the future I may be helped.

But what about those who will NEVER contribute to the general good? Giving them welfare assistance is pointless in this context because they will never be able to help me when I am down on my luck.

Now, as I have mentioned before, basic human decency (a quality MH derided as weak) suggests that those who are physically unable to contribute to society (in this case, I mean work and pay taxes) still have a value beyond dollars and cents. In a general sense I agree to the idea of helping these people permanently.

Those who ARE capable of contributing to the society who choose not to do so are the ones I have a problem with. For them, cutting them off from our assistance and association is the best option. If by their actions they show a lack of respect for the effort we put into the resources we generate, then they should have no part or those resources.

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That's the real question, isn't it? How not just to help those down on their luck for a moment or two, but to ensure they can get back on their feet and be able to help the others.

3. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

For me, that's not the real question. States that are providing some kind of welfare are generally ****ing rich, aren't they.

That's right, folks, we are friggin' rich! "We", as in "Germany", "USA", "UK", "Sweden", whatever. I'm totally unimpressed by the fact that the state is taking some of "my" money and giving it to someone who is not as pecunious as I am. Let him have it, regardless of his willingness to work.

It is not like living on welfare would make you rich in the western world anyway. If you want to live a decent life you will still have to work. But if you choose not to, well, we can afford it. I know I can.

I even remember an incident where I lost a banknote in a street somewhere and didn't immediately start complaining or whining. "My money! My precious little money!" Didn't bother me at all, that's the kind of guy I am.

A weird profligate. Thumbs up for welfare!

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I'm glad you can afford it, Darkthrone. I know that I sure as heck can't. But hey, if I can live a tolerable life without working, maybe I should just quit and go on welfare too!

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yep. Well, first we blew-up half of Iraq, which cost Americans a whole lot of money. And now we are rebuilding half of the same country, which is again costing the American taxpayer - flying in plane loads of cash, paying Halli, and all those "contractors" American taxpayer money, which "we can afford." It's amusing to hear those Republican Congress people who are taking credit for all the wonderful things that America is doing for Iraq: building new hospitals, schools, roads, factories and providing healthcare and education for those in Iraq. So that in the end, they can have "democracy."

But if Americans should dare to ask that THEIR tax dollars be spent on, say, AMERICANS - well, that's just such a "liberal," and totally outragous notion - It's almost treasonous and aiding the "enemy" in time of war. You know, the war we are going to win sometime in the next hundred years, or so....

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Chandos, how dare you suggest that the money spent on maintaining American empire might be better spent on things like healthcare. Or, ah, repairing bridges.

I have reported you to the DHS; I hope you're happy.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Oh no, AM. Not DHS? :)

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Maybe you should both be reported to the Thought Police for so much as suggesting that Americans should even be asked - or for that matter think about - what their money should be spent on! I'm sure the government knows best. ;)

/me exits ironic mode/

9. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Looks like we're all headead down to the basement of the Ministry of Love for a little re-education!

Chandos, while I fully support the idea of doing something militarily that would help another country out, I have to say that the present military action (Canada is helping in Afghanistan) is useless and JUST as much a waste of taxpayer money as supporting layabouts (not the decent people, mind you, just the layabouts) here at home. I don't support either use of my taxpayer money.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.