1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Prostitute" too bad for legal statutes

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Jun 29, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    According to an article I've just read, Britain is about to remove the term "prostitute" from legal statutes, replacing it with, "person who sells sex persistently."

Not only does political correctness interfere with political life, creating absurd illusions, as well as private life and putting on citizens a weird yoke of double-speak, it also interferes with law terms now.

This is probably something that takes a lawyer to notice, but you can't really sell sex. You can't sell sex any more than you can sell shoe mending or car washing. Strictly speaking, you cannot even sell sexual services, much less sex itself, which is not an item (and neither a service on its own, strictly speaking).

The obvious conclusion is that either statutes are being written by people who don't know anything about the law, or that lawyers have abandoned their education for the immediate goals of appeasing an idiotic public.

Another conclusion is that sex is regarded not even as a service but rather as a commodity akin to something you can measure in kilograms and wrap in newspaper for selling. Some people want sex, others offer it, money changes hands for "sex", not even for "having sex".

Hurrah for new ethics of free exchange of goods and the use of nice names, forget the basic principles of law doctrine. :rolleyes:

Link

For some nice logic to behold, here are excerpts from the article:

They want to remove the stigma from professional prostitutes, so they rename them and put in the same category people who have paid sex twice or more in three months.

The obvious absurdity of this comes also from the fact that whoever is offering sexual services for money at any given moment is a prostitute at that moment, whereas according to the new ideas from the oh so enlightened Justicy Ministry, it will be defined by how many times a person out in the streets to work as a hooker can be proven to have had sex for money in the last three months.

If they also redefine prostitution itself, think about the crime of forcing someone into prostitution. If you can't prove more than one account of such prostitution, forget it. Absurd.

"Excuse me, scantily clad lady standing under the street light in the corner. Are you a prostitute?"
    "But of course not, sir. You're my first customer in the last three months. This is not prostitution. I'm merely selling you some sex."

[ June 29, 2007, 13:39: Message edited by: chevalier ]

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Interesting. Why don't they just take the law against selling sex off the books? Just how will they prove how many times a person sold sex? The customers aren't apt to testify against the whatever he/she is now.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Did you not read the article, Chev?

I'd think you'd be onboard with measures designed to 'get sex workers out of the industry'.

Any substantive criticism will require a rather more in-depth assesment of the changes to the law.

At first blush, it strikes me that they're simply beginning to acknowledge the obvious: prohibition doesn't work, and does more harm than good.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I do hope that you are only referring to prostitution here, not prohibition in general. Any society's normal functioning is directly dependent on thousands of legalized prohibitions, which keep the law-obeying population in check and the violators guilty of crimes, if not caught and punished. Anyway, the term prohibition is normally used with alcohol, so I'm not sure it really applies here, though the concept of banning alcohol in the Western world is certainly equally futile as banning prostitution.

As far as I'm concerned, prostitution should be legalized. It's certainly not any more harmful than alcohol (probably less so). But that's where it should end - by no means should it extend to drugs based on the same principle that "prohibition doesn't work". Illegal drugs are a whole different can of worms.

Btw, what's short for a "person who sells sex persistently"? Persistute!

We've sure come a long way from that ugly prostitute term. :shake:

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I was refering to prostitution, drugs, and alcohol.

6. chevalier

Media:
    Whereas I was referring to the fact that you can't sell sex, legally. You can offer sexual services for monetary gratification, but you cannot sell sex. You can't sell a service, if you actually term prostitution so, and all so much less can you sell a form of interaction.

Apart from the obvious crap of avoiding the term prostitute and pretending it's a normal job. Prostitutes are better than most politicians and lawyers, but still.

At any rate, I'm complaining about political correctness meddling with the proper use of legal terms. Sale is a transfer of property. You cannot transfer property if there is no property and you cannot be a proprietor of sex.

As for prostitution, do it the Swedish way and punish the johns too or even first of all. Not like I'm necessarily in agreement with all the other Swedish ideas. :p

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Uh, Chev, if you can't sell a service, why does the guy who mows my lawn keep billing me for it? And what about the guy who cuts my hair? Seriously, Chev, there are whole industries devoted to selling a service in which no tangible object is traded for money. I think they call it the service industry. Sure, I'm sure they have some sort of bizarro legal definition for the process of selling a service, but it's really just semantics, now, isn't it?

8. chevalier

Media:
    It doesn't need to be a sale-purchase contract for the bill to be there - sale is not the only way to claim money from people. ;) You can hire yourself out, you can provide a service for money, but you can't sell a service strictly speaking. Property transfer is a whole different branch of private law from service contract and there are different rules there. "Who sells sexual services," would probably just mark a nonchalant lawyer or one who truly believes there's no difference, but, "who sells sex," sounds like something a lawyer should suffer a painful fate for if it's meant in any direct sense.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Online meaning of semantics:
    It seems to me that semantics is immensely important in legal terminology.

Persistute! :lol:

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If the exchange of a service (in this case sex) in return for money is completely voluntary on both sides, why do we need to persecute and punish anyone?

Sure, prostitutes are generally frowned upon, but that doesn't mean we have to send them or their clients to jail.

11. chevalier

Media:
    Not everything which is legal is good, granted, but neither needs everything which is voluntary necessarily be legal. ;)

However, my problem here is not so much with the idea not to punish prostitutes, as it is with the meaning of the abolition of the term "prostitute", as well as the ridiculous definition of the, "person who sells sex persistently," as, "at least twice in the last three months." Why it's ridiculous should be obvious, but just in case: Primo, twice over three months is not "persistently". Secundo, a single isolated act doesn't make the person a prostitute perhaps, but it's already an act of prostitution. Tertio, even if a virgin were to dress as a hooker and look for clients in the right (or rather wrong) part of the city, that would still be what prostitution is about.

12. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

And thus, Chevalier disproves the existence of prostitutes.

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

please enlighten me on the bad part of having sex, because so far i have found none.

14. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
  15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Chev, normally I agree with you on most thiings, and indeed, my knowledge of legal terms is weak. However, the vast majority of the population sees a service as something that can be sold. From the perspective of the layman, when I get my hair cut, I am not purchasing anything physical -- in fact, I walk out with LESS than what I walked in with! But from my perspective, I purchased a service.

Now, unless I miss my guess, you are saying that lawmakers should have a better grasp on the legal ramifications of their vocabulary choices. That I can understand.

The problem with prostitution is that in the vast majority of cases the woman gets the short end of the stick (sorry for the pun). Many people are vehemently opposed to polygamy (see the relevant threads) on the same grounds -- while in theory both practices CAN be about intelligent, informed people making personal choices, far too often in reality the woman ends up being exploited, and thus empirical experience leads us to believe that the practice is not a healthy one for society.

16. chevalier

Media:
    Nope. Prostitution is having sex for money. The fact there's no sale-purchase contract in it doesn't mean the money can't flow or the whole thing isn't taking place.

@LKD:

That's actually more accurate than saying the barber sold you the service, which he didn't. He provided it. Strictly speaking, you didn't actually purchase it, either, but the term at least isn't offensive.

Exactly, and especially lawyers. That's my worry. They don't seem to have a grasp of it and it's not like they just have lexical problems. They don't get the whole underlying thing if they mix it up.

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, i work for a company that offers services that people can buy. You don't pay, you won't get our service. Why would that be so different from buying food in a groceriestore?

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    This is what I don't get - why turn people into criminals for performing a voluntary transaction which hurts nobody? If they do no harm to anyone, why threaten them with prison terms or fines?

19. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Because unintended, illegitimate pregnancies threaten the stability of the patrilineal succession.

:p

20. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

My personal view is that banning prostitution is good for the society in general. Legalized prostitution won't take away the human trade or the black markets since the supply will be less than the demand. Increase in the supply would mean increased amount of women/men turning to prostitution to earn their living, and I seriously don't think that an increase in prostitution is in any way beneficial for the society.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.