1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pick Pocketing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dropbear, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Dropbear Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am a relative n00b to this game, but how successful is pick pocketing in the 'better' stores -such as Adventures Mart.. What sort of PP skills would I need a character to have, in order to get, say an 80% chance of being successful.

What happens to the party if I am sprung?

Is a bard the best choice for a pick-pocketer?

2. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've never had the nerve to pickpocket the Adventurers mart, but I have been sprung in the slums opening a chest.

I was immediately attacked by the person who owned the chest, and then a few cowled wizards and Amnish guards popped out of nowhere to clean my pilfering clock!

Guess I should have been inviso while doing it...bad Yoshimo!

Basically, I had to restart. Even though I barely got out of the fracas with my hide intact, Minsc was none to pleased with me and my reputation dropped a bit...

3. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] You can't pickpocket (steal from) the Adventurers' Mart - the option just doesn't appear on the screen. However you can steal from most of the other stores and yes, it's very profitable.

Stealing from stores is way more difficult than stealing from people. To have an 80% success rate you need to have your pickpocket skill up around 120 percent. At 150+ you will usually be successful.

One trick is to buy potions of Master Thievery. These increase your pickpocket skills by 40 percent for three hours. Drink enough to get your skills up to around 180 percent then go on a thieving spree for the next three hours. I find Waukeen's Promenade has the greatest concentration of shops.
    The first thing you should steal? Potions of Master Thievery of course! :evil:

Unfortunately you'll probably have to restart if you get caught. I know it's cheating, but the consequences of getting caught are usually terminal. At the very least everybody in the area will hate you for the rest of the game and you'll never be able to go back there.
    Quicksave regularly so you don't have to go back too far.
    Don't bother stealing junk. Take only what you think you can use because all this stealing gets really tedious after a while.

Honest shopkeepers won't buy stolen goods (that's goods stolen from shops, not goods stolen from people). Only the less reputable shopkeepers will buy them so the thief, Jayes, on the east side of Waukeen's Promenade or Roger in the sewers are places you can turn stolen stuff into cash. There's probably more, I just can't think of any at the moment.

A little trick to make easy money:
    Steal something really valuable then sell it to Jayes.
    Steal it from Jayes then sell it back to him.
    ... you get the idea.

4. happy1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Spoiler

It is worthwhile to sucessfully pickpocket Ribald in the adventurers market

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    IMO the bard indeed is the best class for pickpocketing (and lore) ... - though he can't replace a thief ot a mage, he's a very useful support character.

6. Black Rose Guest

People to pickpocket:

Ribald
    Tolgerias (Although this is considered cheese by some)
    The djinni outside the Dao Tent

7. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

This is cheating, but what the heck.
    Pick pocket Kangaxx to get another ring of gaxx.

8. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ever considered this...?
    How could it be possible to steal any armor from a shop? :D

'Jan', I ask the little gnome, 'whats that shining thingy in the sleave of your suit?'
    'That, melord, is a full plate armor I just nicked from the blacksmith', the stickyfingered sneak grinned.
    'You never learn. Now hand it over to Minsc, you wont be able to use it anyway.'

9. Kr0n0 Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] The best pickpocketter is a thief, i suppose.

Hardcase Von Crudd:
    "Unfortunately you'll probably have to restart if you get caught. I know it's cheating,..."
    I don't think so, this is one main aspect of CRPG's Save/Load options.

"A little trick to make easy money:
    Steal something really valuable then sell it to Jayes.
    ... you get the idea."
    Now this in my opinion is cheating, stealing and selling constantly to the same shopkeeper, once is ok.

This is just my opinion anyway.

10. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I see really no point to cheat so you can get more gold. In my opinion you make a ton of doe just by doing the quests, and adventuring. I was never strapped for cash during the game at all! and i have made very steep purchases at the adventurers mart,(ribald +deidre).

11. @strange_machine:

Personally, I find it somewhat cheap to be able to steal truckloads of money right out of Chapter I, then buy something like the Robe of Vecna or a Girdle of Hill Giant Strength right off the bat. I also had financial problems in Chapter 6 buying bunches of level 9 scrolls.

Still, money is overabundant in BGII. I just object to easily obtaining so much of it so quickly.

12. zheng89120 Gems: 1/31

I agree wih some of the other guys. Aren't you getting a bit tired of the infinite item researching and the millions of unessacary features in this game. You need more action, play through the game with the different kits, sweep dens of evil. Try stealing a feel times is fine, but it will get pretty boring indeed!

13. Frodo Gems: 1/31

there is also a fence in the bloodscap's thief guild.
    my opinion on the subject is that it is cheating to do the sell to shopkeeper steal sell steal from shopkeeper trick.
    just my opinion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.