1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deciding on a degree

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Celesialraven, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

So I've hit the point in my academic career where I need to start deciding on a degree. The problem is that I am pretty close to several degrees and can't make up my mind.
    I could get:
    an honors degree in History
    a double honors in History and English
    An honors degree in both History and English.

My thoughts:
    I know option 3 would probably guarantee that no one would hire me (high pay scale) but would certainly be sweet having. Option 2 seems appealing but I wonder if it might make getting into a masters program difficult (more so than an honors degree). However, I hear that it opens doors to interdisciplinary masters work.
    Option 1 seems like a waste when I'm so close to option 2 but might make getting into a masters program easier.

Anyway, I've seen more advisers than you could shake a stick at, however I thought I'd throw it out there. Any opinions\input\thoughts (and so forth) would be appreciated.

2. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'd go option three then go for a master's. You won't be less marketable.

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

What do you want to do for a job? If you're staying in academia then I doubt it'll make much difference, (And I still haven't worked out why else you'd want to do a History degree) if you want to actually work for a living :p then the English component will show a broader range of skills.

4. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well, to make life more difficult, I'm also currently a year away from a B of Education as well.

I guess i'm torn between teaching and academia and, well, something else if it comes up. I wish this was a mid-life crisis, at least then I could just buy a car or retire or something...

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Lol. From what you've told us so far, I think academia would probably be the better choice, in which case either the double honors or the seperate honors would be good, and neither would cause any problems. Hell, the B of Education wouldn't be a bad thing to have, either. There are plenty of college professors that don't have a clue how to teach.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    If option three is realistic, go for that.

And remember that advice solicited from the internet is uniformly awful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.