1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the gun is civilization

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I am opposed to firearm, I've never used a gun and my life and I'm pround of it. The « only force and reason » is a load of :bs: . Lethal force never brings protection only fear. How many time do we see a story about a child who've used his parent's weapon and killed himself? Or someone over-zealous and ends up killing someone on his propriety that wasn't a threat? As a matter of fact the only time I've seen a real gun is at my friend's but this one was IMO justified because at that time was in the Canadian armed forces. Guess what? Even though he was trained to use it, he was still uneasy about carrying a lethal weapon in his house.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    As far as the false binary choice is concerned, I think it was the author's intention to group persuation, dealing, and emotion together and, seeing as how these are entirely different from threat of force, I consider that reasonalbe, if not well stated.

As far as the combat and guns debate goes, you are absolutely right. In the time it takes most trained people to draw and aim a weapon, an attacker can cover about 23 feet (I think that was the number). Within 23 feet, the attacker has the advantage. Outside of 23 feet, either he's stupid or he's running the other way.

I've never carried a gun as part of a job, but I have been shooting since I was about 5, trained by my dad. The VERY FIRST lesson he taught my brother and I was that you don't point the gun EVEN IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION of another person, EVEN IF YOU KNOW IT IS UNLOADED, EMPTY, AND THE SAFETY IS ON, unless you INTEND to kill them. That's a lot of caps, I know, but this is serious stuff. EVEN IF YOU KNOW THE GUN IS EMPTY, it may not be. EVEN IF YOU KNOW THE SAFETY IS ON, it may not be. ANY TIME you point a firearm at another person, you should be ready to kill them.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I see: There are guns on one side - and everything else in the world on the other. That's a "Bushism" if there ever was one. And it's certainly a simple approach - if not a "reasonable" one. :)

4. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    There is force (exemplified by guns) on one side and reason (persuasion) on the other. Persuasion talks to another persons mind, force demands that the other person turns off his or her mind and follow you blindly, or else. These two are opposites, and there can not be a compromise between them.

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    That's seem pretty obvious and good reasoning to me. Safety shouldn't played with especially with firearm involved.

Yes exactly, why some people thinks life is so simple when it's obviously isn't?

6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    While it is true, you are playng wih semantics here. And it is not very helpful. The simple threat of force can "persuade" one side from engaging in conflict. Perhaps if you could break-out of the narrow prison of the usage of the word "persuade" and see that reason is not only about persuasion but also about problem-solving, learning, self-restraint, self-discipline, and (gasp) compromise, it would be more helpful.

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't have that much of a trouble with people carrying guns but with that right comes (or atleast should come) great responsibility. If someone is killed or harmed with your gun you should expect to be partially responsible for the incident unless you have reported the gun earlier as stolen or it was taken from you by force.

8. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

These studies are always flawed in that they only take into account firearm discharges, and do not account for the number of times that a firearm is used to resolve a situation without discharge. When those statistics are included, even in the most conservative of estimates, there is evidence that the presence of a firearm is more likely to be beneficial than detrimental. Studies are only as good as the intent of the group paying for/conducting the study. There are plenty of studies that indicate that banning firearms makes you more likely to be a victim of a violent crime (at least in the US), but I have yet to see one of these studies that is truly objective either.

That said, if you aren't willing to be trained, practice, observe all safety measures, and willing to lose face walking away from *******s who are not truly a threat, then stay away from guns...they aren't for you. As was already stated, you should also not carry a firearm if you are unwilling to use it knowing that the result will likely someone ending up dead or maimed for life.

It is funny though, the only deadly weapon I have been directly threatened with has been an automobile. Road rage is really getting out of control...but that is another topic.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    In this case, you are using force to discourage force, which the other part has already started using by threatening with a conflict. In this case, you are using force for self-defense or the defense of others, you are not initiating force.

Of course reason is (also) about compromise, but you don't reach a compromise by pitting force against force - you only reach a stalemate.

If you want others to do something for you, you can persuade them by using reason - showing how it is in their own self-interest to help you, or promising a reward. Or, you can "persuade" them through force. Only one of these options leave room for a reasoned debate - and compromise.

10. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Has anyone here ever been in a gunfight or had to use a firearm?

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I haven't, glad to say - which proves the point that "the gun" is not civilization, at least from my point of view. Most believe that the invention of language IS civilization and that the printing press is the most valuable invention in the last thousand years. But that's just another opinion, which is based upon man's ability to reason and learn.

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Or Jim Cunningham's love-fear assumption in Donnie Darko (an excellent movie)... you can't divide things up into two groups and say that things always fall into them (except in very rare and broad cases like: this object is currently alive, this object is currently not alive.)

13. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, one could even get pedantic on that case and argue that a complex organism could be 'dead' while many of its component cells are still alive.

But the point has already been established. :heh:

I would agree that just about nothing exists in the universe in a binary, 'is/isn't', 'black/white' choice of states - Mother Nature works in analog...to a fractal scale (if that makes any sense; apologies if it doesn't).

And to close on a funny:

I always thought Sid Meier was Civilization. :p

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

"When our country have nuclear weapon, we do not do so because are looking for a fight, but because we are looking to be left alone. The nuclear weapon at my side means that i cannot be nuked, only persuaded. We don't carry it because we are afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why having nuclear weapon is a civilized act. "

You can also replacing nuclear weapon with that never-been-found "weapon of mass distruction". So, rouge countries having those weapons are absolutely reasonable and civilized!

The world is a much better place.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.