1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the gun is civilization

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Mar 24, 2007.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I saw this and thought it was very well done.

For disclaimer purposes, I am a supporter of the 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms. I am also not a firearm owner and probably never will be (they scare the missus).

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That gun is no good to him until he has an opportunity to take it out and aim. Criminals who know what they're doing won't give him the opportunity.

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Indeed, Sarevok. If you're carrying a gun strictly on the intent of defending yourself, you won't have it drawn out till there's need. Thus, any thug might creep up on you and simply shoot you in the back.
    That's a little besides the point here, but still noteworthy.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

His situation is also worsened by the fact that anyone who has any intention of causing him harm, is most likely going to be carrying a gun.

5. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Even if you make guns illegal, certain criminals (like muggers) are still likely to carry guns. After all, criminals don't obey laws.

6. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I'm kind of out of date on my statistics, but it used to be true that, at least in the U.S., any gun in a household that ended up being used on a person was much more likely to be used on a member of the household than on an intruder. In some cases this was domestic violence. In some cases it was an accident. In a few cases the intruder got to the gun and used it.

Back when I carried a firearm (we got in trouble for calling it a gun) professionally, we were constantly reminded that every encounter we had with anyone involved a firearm - ours. It was sobering to learn how many police officers ended up shot with their own weapons.

I actually don't agree with the basic dichotomy between force and reason in this argument, either. IMHO most people get others to do what they want through the use and manipulation of emotions, which is a process somewhere between force and reason.

And, for the record, once I turned in my service weapon for the last time many years ago, I've never owned a firearm. Why? I might end up using it.

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

That's true, but guns are VERY illegal here in the UK. They are extremely hard to obtain, and if you do manage to get one, it's almost certainly going to have been used before, it's probably going to be a very moody modified replica, and it's going to cost you a huge amount of money. Naturally, organised criminal gangs and mafia types are going to have guns, but then, these aren't the kinds of people who'll rob you on the street, and actually, the risk is just too big for such a petty reward.

edit- and yeah, like revmaf says, look at how many people actually end up being killed with their own weapons ;)

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :smash: I found the point amusing where he sais that he carries his gun not because he's afraid, but because it enables him to be unafraid -- which leads me to conclude that when not carrying a gun, he is afraid of being unable to be unafraid :p

That means that he is permanently troubling himself over the possibility being the potential target of 'force', and that only the gun makes him 'free'. I don't know where he lives, but likely that's probably sub-clincally paranoid. Wee, poor tormented soul.

PS: The 'reason-force' argument reminds me of the 'love-hate' of preacher Harry Powell in 'The night of the Hunter' (unforgettable movie).

[ March 24, 2007, 20:17: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    First of all most people don't know beans about firearms or how to use them.

Secondly, if you do carry a firearm and point it at someone you jolly well better be ready, willing and able to use it or it will be used on you.

Thirdly, I think the article is a bunch of :bs:

and fourthly, I agree with you guys.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The article's a sterling example of the false binary choice. We see a lot of those in American political discourse, from 'both sides' (look, there's another one) of the fence.

Now, No Nonsense Self-Defense had a bit about knife-fighting that applies equally well to guns.

11. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh... perhaps it's not really appropriate to call the example "Civilized", seeing that it's still the matter of force. In this case, the civilian with a gun is just using counterforce, which won't even necessarily work.
    Let's say that we have a room full of gorillas and some smaller, weaker monkeys (just about any monkey will work).

Now, the gorillas could attack the monkeys any time they pleased, since they have strenght to do that.
    But if you were to give the monkeys Killer Eye Lazers (Sorry, couldn't come up with anything less stupid :rolleyes: ), so that they could defend themselves, the gorillas couldn't do as they please any longer.
    Now, both the monkeys and gorillas are living in relative, forced peace since they can't attack each other. But are they civilized? I say no.

Then again, if all people would discard weapons and reason with each other, then they would be more civilized. Too bad that's never going to happen.

12. revmaf

Exactly, Nakia. The rule I learned as a young police officer: if you're not legally entitled to kill the person you're pointing it at, don't even draw the firearm. And at some point you have to get your head around that: killing someone. No nonsense about wounding them in the leg, folks. In the heat of a fight there's no telling what body part you'll hit, so you'd better be justified in killing them.

I never had to kill anybody. But I've seen people die, violently and accidentally, as well as due to illness and old age. And I decided a couple of decades ago I'd rather die myself than kill someone else. (One of the main reasons I left my former line of work, as a matter of fact.) I respect those who feel differently but that is the moral choice I've made.

The comments about the knife fight are exactly right. Even trained police officers get killed all the time by attacks they didn't have time to react to. And so they get jumpier all the time. So, BTW, next time you're pulled over in the U.S. - do keep your hands where the officer can see them. Get permission before digging around in the glove box or under the seat. And don't feel put upon, either. Just a couple of months ago a Tennessee highway patrol officer got murdered by a driver he had pulled over in a "routine" traffic stop. Law enforcement types remember these things.

Whew. Pressed my buttons, this topic did. Sorry. I'll stow it. :o

13. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

revmaf, you are quite correct in your choice to change what you did for a living given the way you felt. My opinion only for what it is worth.

I carried a gun for over 25 years and only once pulled it out and that was to stop a man, his grown son as well as his friend and wife from atacking a crippled up bussiness owner in his place of bussiness. Yes, I was quite ready to use it. It worked and the weapon was returned to me after investigation into the incident. I was in the right as far as the law was concerned but never carried a weapon again. I still don't.

14. revmaf

Old One, you made a morally supportable and, as investigation proved, quite legal choice. In fact, it was my uncertainty about whether I had the nerve to kill someone in order to defend someone else that led me to leave police work - one of the main reasons, anyway. It's one thing to choose not to defend yourself. It's something else altogether not to defend an innocent person you're oath-sworn to defend.

I know a number of people who routinely carry firearms for various quite legal reasons. I'm not as sure they are all adequately trained in using them, or that they have thought through what using them might mean - but I suspect that's true of many who carry firearms.

I can't say I agree they're the, or even a, basis for civilization, though.

15. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Exactly, it was a complete load once one gets past the artificial and phony parameters crafted by its author. Rational thinking is not only about persausion (as the author contends), but about problem solving.

The last statement is a complete load of crap, and the author does nothing to prove that it is "without exception." In fact, out of the many types and facets of "human interaction" and relationships, those are probably THE exceptions. Now, if he wishes to state that resolving "human conflict" falls into those two catagories, then he might be able to make a strong case. Of course, there is another way of resolving conflict: compromise.

[ March 25, 2007, 23:56: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think I just read that very concept in the Algebraist, by Iaian Banks. Thought it was a load of crap in the book too.

17. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

The whole spiel is based upon the notion that human happiness is a zero sum game---as if there were only 10 units of happiness in the world, and it was a dog-fight amongst everyone to grab as many as they could. Baloney. We can all make ourselves happier by making our fellow beings happier.

It is important to let go of the fear of pain and death. The pain and death don't cause us all to be mean and distant towards one another; rather, it is the FEAR of pain and death that causes people to be mean and distant towards one another. I'd rather die young, loved, and with a kind-heart than old, feared, and scared.

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    That can be done through reason, but not through force. You can't compromise with a gun.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm not opposed to guns - if there are other people out there who have them then I see no reason why you shouldn't if you feel the need. I've heard of several examples where someone having a gun has being incredibly handy. Plus, IIRC, the reason for throwing in the Second Amendment was so that civilians could overthrow the government if the need arose. If the need does arise (and I hope that the people here aren't foolish enough to think that it couldn't) I'd feel a lot happier knowing that the resistance isn't going to end up fighting off the military with spears...

American gun culture is pretty scary though. When the gun is glorified to that level I have quite a few second thoughts...

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I did not say you could: An idiot with a gun is still an idiot and two idiots with two guns are even worse. My point was that there are still different approachs to solving the problems of human conflict and warfare.

The idea was to have a citizen militia, since many of the Founding Brothers (including Thomas Jefferson) believed that one of the greatest threats to liberty was a profesional, standing army.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.