1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Khojaly Genocide

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Argohir, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Today is the 15th anniversary of Khojaly (which is a city in Azerbaijan) Genocide. Armenians butchered 613 civilians (including 83 children and 106 women) in February 25-26, 1992 in Khojaly , with the help of Russians. They gouged out the eyes of children, cut the wombs of pregnant women, buried people alive, burned them alive and killed them by torturing. Did anybody remember it, especially europeans and americans? For more information
    read this
    watch this
    and watch that
    After watching these videos, I am ashamed of being human.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why did they do that? What possible reasoning could they have for that?

These are the kinds of things we should declare war for.

3. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Wikipedia will probably provide a more neutral view on the incident.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khojaly_genocide

It's no doubt a tragedy but considering your opinions about the Armenian genocide I find myself questioning the motives. Is the true purpose of this topic to remember this tragedy or perhaps smear the Armenians?

Also according to Wikipedia most western historians define this a massacre and not a genocide. Personally I know little of this and heard of it the first time when I read the wikipedia article. I did not bother with your sources apart from a quick glance since they were so obviously biased.

4. Argohir Gems: 10/31

I read the wikipedia article, but I think wiki sees it as a mere result of a war.
    Also "not to bother" with resources which have counter-arguments to your ideas is "obviously biased"

Why should I want to smear Armenians? Here are the documents. And my purpose is to see if the world cares about it, like they care about slain Armenians in WW1. (And this is another topic. Please DO NOT argue it here. The topic is only for discussing Khojaly Genocide, nothing else)

5. Morgoroth

Most Europeans probably have not even heard of the Khojaly massacre so most Europeans probably really don't care about it all that much. So the Armenian genocide is probably a bigger deal for most of us. This is of course supported by the fact that the death toll in the Khojaly massacre is estimated to be somewhere between 200-1000 (according to wikipedia) and the death toll of the Armenian genocide is estimated to be from 300 000-1.5 million. So I ask you, is it a big wonder that we find the Armenian Genocide to be a much bigger issue?

Also I'd like to know what makes this a genocide while the armenian genocide is not? Quite frankly I find the armenian defence to be very similar to that which you presented in the previous thread about the armenian genocide, so I find it interesting how selective you are in picking when the deaths are casualties of war and when they are victims of genocide.

Lastly, yes this is a tragedy and a war crime and it would be great if the European community would be as active in searching for the ones guilty of these crimes as we are with the Yugoslavian war criminals. However the there seems to be a lack of intrest and probably several obstacles (I doubt the Armenians would let the EU just come and arrest the ones responsible) on the way to that goal.

[ February 24, 2007, 21:04: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

6. Argohir Gems: 10/31

Gouging out babies eyes and cutting pregnant women's wombs (Khojaly Genocide) is not the same thing as killing guerillas -which burned entire villages, raped women and killed babies when males are at army- (so-called Armenian Genocide). And I get my answer to the question "whether western people care about that". Thanks for giving the response I guess but hope not to get.

7. Morgoroth

Yes... the horrible baby-killing Armenians. I get the picture. :rolleyes:

I think I've figured out the purpose of this thread and I'm done with it.

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, it was kinda obvious from the get-go. This guy is like a Turkish Svyatoslav.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As far as most non-Turkish countries are concerned, the Armenian genocide is a fact, so denying it here won't convince anyone to see it differently. I think that once the Turkish people finally manage to come to terms with their shameful history as far as the Armenians are concerned, then they can also start talking about the war crimes the Armenians have committed. In a situation such as this one, there's certainly blood on everyone's hands. But like it or not, the slaughter performed by the Turkish side is on such a massively larger scale that even if this supposed Khojaly massacre had happened exactly as depicted, it still pales in comparison with the genocide committed over the Armenians. And from what I remember, similarly gruesome executions were performed by the Turkish side then. I for one certainly hope that Turkey is not admitted into the EU until its leaders finally stop denying the Armenian genocide, admit the collective guilt, and start making any reparations still possible at this point.

Until that happens, threads such as this one are pointless. For any country to commit a genocide is a terrible thing, certainly. But if anything is worse than that, it is denying that it had ever happened.

You might want to dwell for a bit on the fact that the Khojaly massacre might never had happened if the Turks had not tried so hard to cover up the Armenian genocide for nearly a century now.

[ February 25, 2007, 00:57: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.