1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle at tree of life, first time playing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Arngor, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No, everyone that has gone thru it 3 times says this game is too easy :D

Protect from magic makes him immunes to any magical weapon, even it's a +6.
    +5 weapon is just incase he uses Absolute Immunity

Ribald sells 2 protect from magic scrolls (and there's no more in the game, I think).
    You can shapechange to an Iron Golem by using the scroll shapechange (lv9 mage spell), buy from Ribald too.

Usually I summon a lot fodders, waste his spell. I remember after that illegal trigger, he will cast time-stop, symbol, Abidazim HW, follows by Power word kill >__> But if you survive, he will chase you to cast sunfire, maze, or maybe Imprisonment :D

My last meeting, he fell in 3 rounds I think. My PC was an Inquisitor, dual FoA - Belm, and Korgan dual Crom Feayer - Kundane, when the battle started, I cast dispel, both rushed in, whacked him, disrupted his time-stop. Then he misleaded, I cast another dispel, continued bashing him to hell :shake:

2. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@arngor: you can get a shapeshift result with a limited wish spell, don't know the exact option you need to take, but be sure to have high wisdom. I had Imoen take him out at the tree by herself!

The protection from magic scroll can be bought at Ribalds himself, not the woman at the upper deck. He sells the only two of them in the entire game, and they ARE limited. Still the best anti mage scoll, usable on a character to protect him/her from magic while (if a mage) he/she can still use wands. If used on enemy mages they are virtually helpless since they keep on trying to cast spells :) Remember cloudkill from the wand goes through almost any protection! It can even damage Golems, but not demons since they are immune to this kind of damage.

3. Arngor Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Flail of Ages, Belm, Crom Feayer, kundande. I have neither of those. *sigh*

I wasted all my useful wands (monster summoning, cloudkill and so fourth) before I learned that you can sell them and buy them back at full price. Damm.

I don't know about the rest of you folks but I feel that the game shouldhave perhaps been more specific on what items are unique and what's not.

4. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Aww, things ain't that bad. Go back to the upper stair and take a rest.

Here are some spells to memorize :

- 3 breaches : to remove his combat protection.
    - 3 secret words : to remove his spell shield. You must remove his spell shield before using breach, so you'd better have both these spells on 2 arcane casters (or use lv8 spell trigger).
    - monster summoning lv1 : to waste his double time-stop and deathspell. Anything like spider spawn, monster summon 2, woodland being will do as well
    - animate dead : anti-magic minions (both cleric and mage can cast it). You can add in Nirushu, Haseka, Mordy, Fire Elemental.
    - True sight : to dispel his mislead. Best to have this spell on 2 casters.

That's all, now off to have some fun.

Battle starts, have one casters uses monster summon 1, all the others run away then cast True sight. Now it is his turn :

deathspell : war dog
    maze : war dog
    symbol stun : war dog :shake:

After that, have someone cast monster summon 1 first, another cast animate dead. Now just keep casting secret word, breach.

5. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

i was always under the impression Nishru only destroyed items with charges or one use... am I wrong in this?

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Nishruu and Hakeashar will also drain spells from a spellcaster on a successful attack. Sadly, one Death Spell sends them packing... along with any other non-gated summoned creature in the area.

7. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Cast prot. from magical energy and death ward on everyone before battle;cast all buff spells you can on your pratogonist and your tank;if you have a berserker,it is useful for imprisonment and maze;and then cast breach,lower resistance,warding whip etc...and attack with your tanks.When his protections are down,cast offensive spells.And post little Joneleth to hell...

8. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Strange, I memorised the warding whip for nalia but when the battle started, I couldn't cast it! It wasn't there to choose from!

NO way am I going to summon a nishruu. I bloody hate those things. It ate up all of my mage robes once.

Secret word? Hmm. That a lvl 8-9 spell? So far the highest I've been able to cast is lvl 7 or one lvl 8 for Nalia, wich is reserved for warding whip.

Argohir that was the first thing I tried. Did not work. I couldn't target him with spells because he was "hidden" or something and I couldn't hurt him with my weapons because he was protected.

9. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Yes nishurus eat things, but Jon has nothing :shake:

Secret word is a lv4 mage spell.

Actually you don't need to do anything, after his death spells run out, he can't do anything but watch the skels flay his azz :shake:

10. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Just tried again with my old save:
    Nalia casts True Sight,
    Anomen - Resist Fear+Prot.From Evli+other crap,
    every tank gulps two potions of Fire resistance,the battle begins.
    Running away from Time Stop. It's possible to interrupt it, but why take risks ?
    Running back.
    Nalia and I cast Breach at the same time.
    Anomen+Jae+Minsc go and hack him. Hack him, hack him, hack him...
    "You... killed me..."

Jon uses Spell Shield, so the first Breach gets blocked. The second one helps.

11. Arawn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You people are making it difficult, Jon is just like any mage, helpless against magic resistance.

Move your party out of the way, polymorh your secondary mage into magic resistant goo. Now the only nasty thing a mage can do is imprisonment(that pretty much only demiliches) If the mage use summons, dominate or kill it at range, before the goo gets hurt. Now admire all the nice spell animations while sending in a skeletonwarrior one at the time. The first will get deathspelled the second will beat the snot out of any random mage.
    Or as previously suggested shapechange to iron golem and pummel him yourself.

12. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Heh, today I just summoned a Nirushu (after his death-spell ran out) and watched him struggling, I found his another weakness that he got no summon (no Effreeti, no Pit fiend), poor chap.

Btw, he has infinite amount of magic missile, casts with no delay, I wonder if redeem Irenicus has this feat :)

13. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Nope, in Redemption: Longer Road Jon has
    insane amount of spells (he starts at 30 level and has 11, later 12 spells at lower levels), but not infinite, unfortunatly. ;)

14. Arngor Gems: 2/31

I used the "walk away with a few summons to occupy him and wait for protection to wear off" trick and found him insanely easy to kill. I was like: "WTF m8?" Well almost. Then when I ended up in hell and he summoned that pack of demons to ass ist and turned into a beast and whent invisible, I managed to kill the demons with Minsc getting down to 50% and all others barely scrated. I cast True Sight, walked up to Jon, and killed him. Sure he got lots of hitpoint then but for some weird reason he just stood there and watche be hack him to peices. Now I'm kinda dissapointed. I thoguht the game was longer than this. I didn't even get to finnish any romances I had running. :(

15. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31

Arngor, judging by your level i'd say you went through the game pretty fast, and had a lot of quests unfinished when you went to give Elhan the Rhynn Lanthorn. This is pretty common on your first play throught because all the NPC's keep talking about how urgent everything is and how you've got to proceed with the plot NOW! :p

Actually almost none of the quests, including the main story, are time limited. you can wander around exploring, completing quests, etc. for as long as you like. If you take the time to do all the side quests, visit all the locations etc. you can spend as long as you like playing. just as a few starters did you - Visit the Umar Hills? Visit the Windspear hills? Visit Trademeet? Check out the Sewers? Kill any Dragons? Forge any weapons? Explore all the tunnels in the underdark (remember you can go back into it once you leave)?

This is a long game!

16. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Umar hill? - Yes

Windspear Hills? - Yes

Trademeet? - Yes

Sewers? - Yes

Kill dragons? - Yes both of them in fact

Forge any weapons? - Huh? You mean Cronwell the dwarf? Kinda. There where lots of useful items I couldn't forge because I couldn't find all the peices.

All tunnels in underdark? - Yes

For some strange reason my romances with Aeire and Jeheira wouldn't finnish, despite I went to all places and looked around in every dungeon. I was really looking forward to the endings. :(

17. The_Swordalizer Gems: 4/31

Arngor - there are 3 dragons :)

Did your romance interest die, get petrified, leave the party or get imprisoned? this ruins romances - i didn't know this on my first run through...

18. Arngor Gems: 2/31

Actually, there's four dragons when I think about it. Big Red, the shadow dragon, the silver dragon and the last dragon in the elven city.

And, err, yes. They did. LOTS of times. Since Aeire had the worst HP value and worst saving throws she tended to die alot. I thought it wouldn't matter aslong as I resurrected her quickly. Wouldn't that count as a bug in the game?

If it's true that it ruines romances then I'm going to have a VERY hard time completing ANY romance. Every fight I get into always ends up with half my party dead.

19. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually five:Windspear Hills, Umar Hills, Underdark, Suldanessellar, Hell.

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The romantic interest dying and being resurrected shouldn't mess up the romance but petrification, imprisonment, or temporarily booting them out of the party for whatever reason generally will mess it up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.