1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

USA on the Rest of the World

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, that could explain it I guess because I went to private schools.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

In my school we had to know all the countries in the world, their flags, their geographical location and capital cities by the time we were 15 years old I think. Certainly I've forgotten a fair number of them, the brain simply can't retain such information when it's only used once or twice in your lifetime but I can at least remember what CONTINENT countries are on and their general location.

I can't believe that Americans wouldn't know where Australia is, their possibly strongest ally and friend in world politics. Now I'm used to New Zealand being forgotten since we're that tiny country in the south Pacific with bugger all people and hobbits - but I'd at least hope our bigger brother would be known.

Then again the USA has more often than not been an inwards focused country, I couldn't name half the states in the USA, let alone their capitals, but I can find their major cities (New York, Washington, Los Angeles etc.) I guess because we don't have 'states' in New Zealand so we don't consider them to be important.

Considering how in New Zealand it's often the dropouts who would join the military as grunts and even they aren't half as geographically stupid as some of those examples shown in the video, I worry about the state of the US Military...

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

New Zealand always drops off the edge of world maps or is covered up by the legend so it's not surprising if US kids don't know where it is.

But, like Abomination, I was certainly taught where just about every country was before I was about 12. Unfortunately, lots of them have changed since then so my education is probably terribly out of date.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That's because earth is flat.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

At least New Zealand is called New Zealand. On some foreign news stations such as CNN, N.Ireland is called 'Ireland'. Annoying terms:

"Belfast, Ireland" or
    "Derry/Londonderry, Ireland"

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, you must be pretty annoyed when nobody understands what Northern Ireland is. I bet it happens all the time, and from respectable sources too.

Although New Zealand does often get called Australia.

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well a month ago or so Finland was called a former Soviet sattelite in a US congress memo. :rolleyes:

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    But you all were commies. At least, Finland is sufficiently close to Russia, in the east and snowy enough to justify the suspicion.

Not to mention the obvious wodka affinity. Now that can't be an accident. Just like the Russians! *HINT*
    Now Chev, before you start about Poles being lovers of wodka, too, Poland was a Soviet satellite.

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I learned geography in public school. But that was a long time ago - I was in college in 1970.

My impression is that many Americans really are pretty clueless about geography. I remember being told huffily by an account representative on the phone that they only served the United States and couldn't help me, because I was in Vermont.

Haven't tried them from Tennessee.

10. Harbourboy

I once stopped in Kingman, Arizona and when I told someone there I was from New Zealand, they asked if that was near Minnesota.

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You're quite the traveler to have been to Kingman, Arizona. Although most people won't admit to having been there....

When I was graduating from college the big news was that 85% of college graduates could point out where Viet Nam was on a map (the war had been over ten years or so), 75% didn't know it was on the Asian continent, and 50% could tell you which side we supported (some even chose east or west).

Geography is NOT a strength of the US populace.

12. Harbourboy

Kingman, Arizona is a convenient stopping point after Phoenix when you are travelling from one end of the USA to the other. For me, it was the classic middle of nowhere American town - that still had a K-Mart and every single major fast food chain outlet.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Phoenix to Las Vegas leg I take it. Hopefully it was not July or August....

14. Harbourboy

Yep - Phoenix to Las Vegas leg. Second day of journey from Los Angeles to New York. It was February.

15. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I knew that but I didn't know it was that serious. So I think sending this classic is an obligation for me to show the average American understanding of the world geography.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I asked my wife about this last night. She teaches 5th grade, so I wanted to see if they do anything regarding world georgraphy. As it turns out, not only do they not do world georgraphy, they don't even do US geography anymore. When she started teaching seven years ago, they still did some geography on the 50 states, but now, since the No Child Left Behind Act, things that are not tested for tend to get short shrift, geography being among them.

And that is my wife's (along with most other teachers) biggest complaint about the No Child Left Behind Act. Even if it were properly funded and sensibly implemented, there is still a major problem with the program. That being, that the tests you are required to administer to students to show progress focuses on math, reading comprehension, and science. As you can see, things like writing, social studies, history, and geography are excluded from the list. Therefore, since funding for school is closely linked to performance on these tests, there is pressure on teachers to sink as much time as they can on tested subjects, and spend significantly less time on subjects that are not tested. The end result is that my wife thinks she is actually teaching students less now than she was before.

Another reason that they got rid of geography was that they don't do graphing in math class anymore either. Once you figure out how to graph lines and find points, reading a map becomes much easier. But they don't test graphing skills on the tests, so they don't teach that either. Between lunch, recess, and a daily dose of either music, art, or physical education, the average elementary school student only has about 4 hours of classroom instruction per day. And there simply isn't enough time for things like geography.

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

18. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Cúchulain, i think the the boards cencuring broke your link

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

oops, replace the *'s with 't i t s'

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Aldeth, that's truly appalling.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.