1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Let's put things in proportion!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Clixby, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What do you mean "if it is true"? Antimatter is used all the time. The P in a PET scan stands for positron which is the antimatter equivalent of an electron. Positrons are also used in particle accelerators.

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading about them creating anti-hydrogen (a positron with an anti-proton) in the lab.

And no, not everything has an antithing somewhere. There was no Anti-Harbourboy somehow created by his anti-parents at the same time Harbourboy was created by his parents.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Uh, no, I'm sure it doesn't.

<.<

>.>

RUN!

3. nunsbane

nunsbane

We can make antiparticles in small quantities and even simple antimatter, so it should be possible, in theory, to create an antianything sometime in the distant future. An AntiChevalier (certainly a chaotic evil, fallen paladin) would blow up, in spectacular fashion, when he came in contact with Chevalier or anything made of ordinary matter.

What doesn't make sense is the abundance of matter and the apparent dearth of antimatter in the universe. As far as I know, nobody can explain why there is such a discrepency.

I wonder if an AntiParisHilton would release a celibacy tape.

4. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    They are apparantly going to use anti-matter to help remove cancer tumors. The principal is sound, but you need a lot of them (it took several months and a lot of money to make 3 positrons in a lab)

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh? Positrons are "created" naturally through beta decay of certain radioactive isotopes, and those isotopes are readily created in cyclotrons. If positrons were so difficult to make as you describe, PET scans would be far too expensive.

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Maby I'm wrong then, but how much do they use in PET scans?

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I dont' know exactly, but it's a scan so it has to be a significant amount. Regardless, there're all kinds of people getting PET scans all the time, so it can't be that expensive.

EDIT - Oh, and it's the radioactive isotope that's manufactured for the PET scans because they want the positrons inside the body where they will annihilate with electrons and emit gamma rays that can be detected during the scan.

Maybe you meant anti-protons; they're much more massive and thus more difficult to "create".

8. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

What about dark matter? What effect would it cause if this theoretical matter came into touch with either matter or anti-matter?

9. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

IIRC, dark matter particles are passing through everything constantly. It has no effect on anything, apart for compensating for some problems in scientists' equations.

10. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Heh fair point. im just embarrased i had forgot so much.
    and i think i misundestood your transformed as meening it stopped being mater of any kind. my bad once more.

11. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

"What doesn't make sense is the abundance of matter and the apparent dearth of antimatter in the universe. As far as I know, nobody can explain why there is such a discrepency"

As far as I know, the whole thing is the natural stat called "SPIN" of the particle.
    Any anti-matter particle will "rotate" in an oppositte direction than a matter particle.
    The spin of a matter particle is (in a universe of matter) stable, while an anti-matter particle is not.(I suppose this also will work reverse ways in an opposite universe of anti matter)
    May be that explains why they are so difficult to create an handle them.

"I wonder if an AntiParisHilton would release a celibacy tape."

That wouldn´t be fun to watch,at least in this universe of matter.

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    BTA@: Anti-protons! that was it. Thanks.

I was under the impression that Dark Matter was a collective term for matter that scientests have no way of identifing.

Can someone answer this question for me:
    Is there such a thing as an anti-neutron?

I only ask because it seems obvious there should be, but is sounds stupid. What charge do they have?

13. Avarahtar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Magister, an anti-neutron is just made up of anti-quarks instead of quarks. I believe it's the same organization of quarks, two down and one up, though two anti-down quarks and one anti-up quark. Or something like that... it's been a while since I've had to take any classes on quatum physics or chemistry.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.