1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kramer's Bigot Eruption

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] All I can say is...wow. This, especially if you are a Seinfeld fan, is shocking to say the least.

Warning: Salty Language

For those who don't want to be offended audio-visually: Michael Richards, famous for his role as "Kramer" on the hit 90's sitcom Seinfeld, is filmed here telling a black heckler precisely what he thinks of him.

The jerk store called...they're all outta you. /end George Kostanza

Discuss.

EDIT - I'd just like to add that though unfortunately, when someone is talking on a cell/blabbing out loud (very rude) during a movie or performance here in the states, in my experience, 9 times out of 10 that person happens to be black, and it is extremely annoying...Richards takes it way, WAY too far. Yikes.

2. nunsbane

nunsbane

The blabbing/cell phone usage at movie theaters happens far too often and it is more than annoying. And from my experience the blabbing comes most often from black patrons.

I took my young nephews to see 'Garfield' and we were disturbed for the entire movie by three loudly blabbing adult patrons. They left and came back three times once for popcorn, once who knows why, and the third time returned smelling strongly of pot. At one point one of them yelled excitedly: "oooooh, Jon's gonna get him some pu**y!".....I did what I always do in those situations - I ate it. A confrontation, especially in front of nephews, would benefit no one in the end.
    I don't go to movie theaters anymore, I've had enough.

Richards was obviously pushed past his tolerance for bullsh*t and decided he wasn't going to eat it anymore. Although he handled the situation poorly, I think most people can identify with his frustration, seeing how rudeness seems to be a raging epidemic here in the U.S.

He could have handled it effectively and more gracefully by speaking to management and having the patron silenced or removed.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

All I saw of it was what was aired on CNN tonight. I can't install the software to view DR's provided video. :heh:

Now, I didn't hear anything to 'provoke' Michael - heckling, noisy phones, etc. So the first thing I hear is him screaming N-word, N-word, N-word.

I hope he enjoyed his career while it lasted.

The comedy club did the right thing to ban Michael from ever appearing again, though I'm at a loss as to why he was able to perform a second show there.

4. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

He officially said sorry for his outburst in The Late Show, together with Seinfeld himself.

But then we can begin talking if he meant every word? After all, the truth comes from drunk people and children .. and perhaps anger? Who knows - the official sorry could be the same as Mel Gibson's. Just to save his carrer

5. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So we had Mels anti-jew outburst and Richards anti-negro outburst. Who's next on the hollywood list and who will the be slurring of at? And when do you reckon an online game about this incident will be released? I played the Mel gibson one on compfused.com and it was pretty good.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Actually, I'm not surprised at all. My mom used to baby-sit the kids of the art director for 'Married With Children'. When he would come to pick his kids up, he would stay and chat for a bit. I remember him saying that he helped on the set of a few Seinfeld episodes and got to meet the cast. I specifically remember him saying that Michael Richards was a total ass in every sense of the word. Just a very rude, self absolved jerk. It's kind of hard to imagine seeing him as Kramer...but the proof just hit the fan...so to speak. :bad: :rolling:

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A theory I've recently read - which does make sense - is that Richards isn't necessarily a racist, but rather in his anger and frustration, he said the absolute most offensive thing he could directed at the offender, for maximum effect. It's petty and childish, to be sure - but more understandable. If some macho jerk insults you, for example, you may be inclined to call him a "fag" (in a quick internal assessment of "what could I say right now to hurt this person the most?") if your anger gets the best of you, despite not being a homophobe or considering that person gay. It does happen when otherwise ordinary people snap.

I don't believe that Jerry Seinfeld would have jumped to his defense so quickly if he were really such a belligerent racist. Seinfeld has a near impeccable reputation and wouldn't jeopardize it for someone he knew to be so genuinely hateful. I'm inclined to believe Richard's recent mea culpa, though not excusing the act.

As for Richards' career being over after this..."The Michael Richards Show" put the tag on that toe 6 years ago. It's hard for a career to go from dead to dead. Ask Pauly Shore.

9. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, he basically BOMBED as a stand-up comedian; he DID deal with an interruption, and subsequently a heckler, but he did so in a completely UNfunny way.

He *could* have dealt with this issue in a wholely different fashion, and actually been a COMEDIAN and ad-libbed something that'd have made the crowd laugh (and maybe even the cell-phone user - I've seen stand-up bits where the performer gets the butt of the joke laughing :) )

Sorry to sound disparaging, but that's his JOB. He lost his temper (which apparently he has had trouble with), got insulting to part of his audience, lost the rhythm of his performance and basically bombed big time. :(

To draw an internet parallel, he not only 'fed the troll' he slathered himself with BBQ sauce and jumped right into the troll's mouth! :rolleyes:

It might've been interesting to BE in the audience to watch him self-destruct like this in person, in a schadenfreude-esque 'Jerry Springer' way, but in all, I don't think it's worthy of the uproar or even think he's a racist; I'm just disappointed.

But at this point, my Inner Cynicâ„¢ pipes up and reminds me that every person on the planet is falible, the species as a whole is pretty pointless and inherently self-destructive, and there's not much point in getting worked up about anything anymore; why should I be surprised?
    :bad:

10. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

To me his apology seemed genuine, but I guess there's no way to know.
    That's something I thought about as well. I hope that's the case.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know what the second link is about exactly as it requires a login, so here's a public link of the original thing: http://www.videosift.com/story.php?id=21698

This will work for those of you having problems with the link in the original post.

12. negro stan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You know, you would think as a NEGRO i would be offended by this, but I really dont care.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Agreed, I do this all the time. Even if in retrospect it sounds stupid (no, not controversial, just stupid :rolleyes: ) if at the time you think it'll piss the guy off more, you'll say it. It's like calling someone a midget because you know for a fact that it will piss them off even though I myself am only 5'5" :D

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Interestingly, this event is giving new momentum to a grassroots efforts among black comedians and other public figures to stop using the word "nigger", either amongst themselves or as part of their acts.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

whaaaa??? If Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle stop using it, it will seriously suck :/ I think the "Rush Hour" standard can still be applied here, Chris Tucker can say "What's up my nigger?" to another negro (I'm in Southeast Asia, so if this term is even remotely offensive, please forgive me and give me a more "politically correct" term) because he belongs to the same racial group and Jackie can't because he doesn't.

imo at least, when you lump yourself in with the group that the term refers to it counts more as self-deprecating humor whereas if you use the term and exclude yourself from it, it comes of more as showing contempt.

16. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

the fact that the blackman answers back with the same kind of racial slurs kinda killed my sympathy. the black man goes to a show, sits and interrupt the entertainer, Richards then definetly cross a line by being so agressive, but the black man aint better himself when he calls richard a Cracker and white boy.

the real end for Richards lies in him not being able to joke the interruptions away. i meen most stand-up comedians could have put focus on the interrupters and simply humiliated them to silence, in a fun way, without crossing that line.

But richards hardly come off as a racist in my eyes, just a man loosing his temper with some very rude audience, who retaliates by using just as bad racist comments.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    From what little I have seen this has been blown way out of proportion. Richards replied to a heckler and from what little I saw he did it with sarcasm and irony consciously exaggerating his replies.

18. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

what it seems like is he referes to how it was 50 years ago and then try to joke about it, the main problem is he sounds to aggresive when doing so and keeps it going after the joke had died. that said, the joke wasn't bad, it just came out wrong

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.