1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

That lil snake in the grass (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by garathorn, Aug 23, 2001.

1. garathorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

i just played a game through with yoshimo and i found out the lil back staber works for irenicus so i got past spell hold killed yoshimo i just wanna know if i can raise him so i can kill him again

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    He's gone for good, but you can put his soul to rest if you so choose...

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Something on topic occured to me...

What happens if Yoshimo is in your party but dead when you get to Irenicus? Has anyone done this? Can you raise him after the whole "getting captured" point?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't done it, but I'd imagine that he would still be taken out of your party after you've been "gassed".

5. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Just tried it. His image gets removed from your party, just like BTA said.

6. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] I read somewhere (manual or game guide of something) that even totally eviscerated characters (ie ones whose portraits disappeared when they died and cant be resurrected) can be brought back with a Wish spell. Has anyone done this for Yoshimo or any other NPC (Its always infuriating when I waste a dragon only to realise that a vital NPC has been splattered into tiny pieces :( )

7. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Somebody posted a cheat that might work to keep yoshi in the party...but you can't take him to spellhold with you..

Have to wait for ToB...

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

@Will

by following pen & paper rules, you would be able to revive someone with a wish spell. But wish doesn't appear in SoA, so it's no good

9. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    u can buy wish off the woman at the back of the adventurer's mart

10. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't see why everyone is so down on Yoshi, Hes a good character and doesn't do one thing against yas, Plus hes got a geas. Can't blame a guy for doin things he can't help but do.

11. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

That's "limited wish" for sale in the adventures mart....but can you get a wish spell in Watcher's Keep?

12. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Well, he was dumb enough to sign on as a mercenary with an archvillain and agree to a geas to do anything the guy told him to do. I'd say that leaves him with some of the responsibility.

I was willing to forgive Yoshimo, but not to absolve him off all responsibility for his actions. You can't just get off scot-free and smiling by just agreeing to a geas first.

13. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

He didn't know Irenicus was an archvillian, besides we all make mistakes we wish we hadn't just theres no magic in our world. I bet half the people in here would have agreed to a geas at some point or another if they existed =)

14. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I think I would not have agreed to a geas to do something before I even knew what it was. (-: Well, maybe when I was eight. Not once I reached some semblance of adulthood!

I think you're right and Yoshimo never intended to do something as evil as that betrayal, but he also was greedy enough to take a lot of money to agree to a task which his employer wouldn't tell him what it was until he was already magicked to die a painful death if he didn't complete it. It really should occur to one that such a task might not be pretty. Particularly one as savvy as Yoshimo. He was agreeing at the very least to assassinate someone whose identity he didn't yet know, and he must have known that. Irenicus bears most of the blame, but Yoshimo's attempt at morally passing the buck doesn't completely excuse him. I always put his heart at rest, mind you, but he had a little more serious of a moral lapse than just 'making a mistake'.

15. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yoshimo is True Neutral which means he's not out for the greater good.... Or at least not just that, and certainly is not averse to helping himself if the situation offers. But I think he intended to sell his services, not his soul and his future.

As a side note, I don't think good is necessarily interpreted as selflessness. Good characters should not be averse to helping themselves, as long as they don't hurt anybody (good) in the process. Like robbing tombs. If this is necessary in order to get the proper equipment to kick evil in the buttocks, I guess it must be done. ;)

16. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

I agree with you, I don't see anything evil about robbing a tomb--though I would imagine lawful people could have a big problem with it in a culture where it was illegal!

I just had the post-betrayal conversation with Yoshimo again this morning, and he sure doesn't seem very sorry. He greets you after Irenicus leaves with your soul with something like "Why are you still fighting it? You're dead inside anyway." Gee, that so makes me think he's a decent guy opposing me against his will... *rolls eyes*

17. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I actually didn't take Yoshimo to Spellhold; I knew I was getting another thief (Imoen) back anyways. However, when I returned to where I left him after the Underdark (The Copper Coronet), I saw Yoshimo fall down dead. When I checked his corpse, he had all the equipment I had given him, but I didn't find his heart; also, he was nowhere to be seen in Spellhold, though I was attacked by the assassins. Is this a glitch or was it voluntarily programmed?

18. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yoshimo's betrayal quest must be triggered by taking him to the spellhold, then you kill him allright and get his fallen heart. Any other way, Yoshimo dies at the first sight of you (God's power ;)) after returning to the surface.

19. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Well, he failed his geas. He didn't bring you to Irenicus. So he died. Sucks to be him. (-:

What I don't understand is why he comes back and attacks you again after Irenicus leaves. He's clearly fulfilled his geas, which was to bring you to Irenicus so that he could steal your soul. Mission accomplished. Why doesn't he just go somewhere and have a beer? Or, if he feels guilty, why doesn't he show up later and save your life or something to pay off the debt? What's with trying to kill you? I could forgive him a lot better if it weren't for that...

20. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Good question, especially being the true neutral bounty hunter that he is. I would have imagined someone who makes a living hunting down one person for another would have been rather indifferent about the whole thing; nothing personal, just business.

At the same time, I was kind of glad he attacked because I was itching to end his traitorous little life but it would seem out of character for my LG undead hunter to not want to just bury the hatchet. So the hatchet was buried. Firmly.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.