1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Homosexuality and Religion

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    :lol:

Hm, yes. I sometimes even surprise myself with these kinds of profound statements. :lol: But it's still true...

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    BTA - So I could be racist, homophobic, sexist and anything else I wish to be, providing I don't attack or insult anyone in particular? After all, I'd only be 'explaining what I believe and why'. Fair enough, freedom of speech and all that but surely it only goes so far...

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why should I or anyone else tell you what you can say or believe? It's no skin off my nose if you are a racist or a homophobe or a sexist or a secularist. I'll likely never meet you, so why would I care?

I may argue about your reasons for your beliefs if I think they're erroneous, but ultimately who am I to say what you should believe. I'm just here to enforce the peace on the boards, and prevent anything obviously illegal.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Exactly a number of the lies that Satan uses to get us to indulge. Images of frolicing and sex entice some, others pushed to give in to the temptation and believe that they have no choice in the matter. They also learn to hate themselves because Satan is too busy laughing at them to keep them trapped in his lies.

Yeah, but what if they were right at 20? At 50, they will only have a better understanding of how right they were at age 20...

Who says this change is a good thing? What about those of us that are offended at the mere suggestion that such changes would be required...

But it IS possible, but limbs are not the price to pay, only faith in Jesus Christ and a sincere desire to change.

Satan wants to make us just as miserable as he is, and he does this by trying to make us break God's laws.

Once again, for the benefit of those of you who only look for the things that amuse them in my posts: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT RAPE. What about mutually consenting relationships, which you keep telling me are none of anyone else's business...

You're right, it's not. I never said it would be easy, only that it was possible...

5. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Gnarff, that is quite possibly the weakest argument I've seen you post yet. You're actually twisting everything around to make it fit your arguments.
    No, that's just called denial. Or Disillusion, whichever you prefer :lol:

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Gay people don't WANT to change. They are happy as they are and more power to them, I say. They met someone, they fell in love, just like any other happy couple. Seriously, you need to get out an meet people, meet gay people, see how they are and how normal they are. How many homosexuals do you actually know? They're not 'miserable'. In fact, in my experience, straight people are more miserable than homosexuals!

You said you are not talking about rape. WE KNOW! You compare homosexuals to paedophiles? How can an underage child give their consent to sex? They are too young to make a decision like that and know what they are doing. You are comparing happy, consensual relationships to sick perverted individuals preying on vulnerable young children. It's sick man! Take a look at what you're actually suggesting.

What's the bigger tradegy in your eyes: A person openly admitting to being gay and not giving a damn what small-minded individuals think to it? Or, the gay person who tried to trap himself in a 'normal' heterosexual relationship, just to fit in so he/she wouldn't have to put up with predujice?

BTA - But homophobia is illegal, is it not? As is racism. Well, I thought it was anyway, I might be wrong...

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    :lol: It's taken you 18 pages to figure THAT out?! :lol:

8. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Mutual informed consent = okay. Otherwise, not okay. "Informed" is an important word there. What more is there to it?

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Saying that Satan influences people to be homosexual is just silly - why didn't he make evil people like Hitler, Bush and Richard Gere gay?

Maybe I should take 2 hour lunch and claim I was 'influenced' by auld Satan.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5003/5003_01.asp

[ November 16, 2006, 13:52: Message edited by: Cúchulainn ]

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What the hell does that even mean? How does Richard Gere get lumped in with Bush and Hitler? C'mon - The Jackal wasn't THAT bad.

:confused:

edit - sidenote: I don't need to mention how lame it is comparing Bush to Hitler (Godwin's Law violator, tsk :nono: ) but that's another topic...

EDIT (below) - Gotcha. :)

[ November 16, 2006, 14:42: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was trying to be funny, thats why you see Bush, Hitler and Gere.

Edit :thumb:

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not as far as I know. If you assault someone because of your homophobia or racism, then that is illegal. In the US, firing or refusing to hire someone because or race, sexual orientation or religion is illegal, but holding such prejudices is not. Actions, not beliefs are typically illegal, though holocaust denial etc. in certain places are illegal.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @BTA,

Actually, I think that it depends on the state that you live in. Here in Maryland, if you can prove that a violent crime was committed due to prejudice (and this includes both race and sexual orientation) you can get an additional charge of "hate crime" slapped on you, which can result in a sentence extension of up to 5 years. So while it isn't illegal to be homophobic or racist, committing a crime because of this can result in a stiffer sentence.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Certainly, but that's basically what I was trying to say. Thoughts and beliefs are not generally against the law, actions based on them can be.

15. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, no but I thought that kind of took the biscuit :D

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

How about that age between the onset of puberty (where they understand what they are consenting to) and the official age of consent. Like the 12 year old boy that has sex with his teacher who's in her 20's, hot and single. He knows about sex, consents to have sex, but is legally too young to consent. That's what I'm talking about. There will be people that will argue that that shouldn't be illegal because nobody gets hurt...

The unrepentant sinner who pridefully condemns all that tell them that they are wrong. Remember that I do believe that God is real, and that His laws are binding. It's just centuries of those without proper authority that messed it up to the point that so many people either don't believe or think it's a bad thing...

I am referring to mutual informed consent. The underaged person knows what they are doing, but they have yet to reach that "magic age" where they can legally have sex. I believe it was Drew that suggested another word other than pedophile, but I still believe the two to be the same thing.

While I don't condone homosexuality, I also don't condone assault on those grounds.

What about a religious position (like a preacher) in a faith that condemns homosexuality? Should they be forced to hire an openly gay minister to preach? Blatant sin hurts the credibility of those that preach against it...

17. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

but that's not pedophilia, it's statutory rape. Pedophilia is only when the child is pre-pubescent.

Well that's just dandy, but they're not.

Well, these people don't, and you have no right to tell them how to live, regardless of how "right" you think you are.

To be honest, I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore. As far as I can tell, it's either "gays can't get married", "homosexuality is roughly equivalent to pedophilia in my mind" or "gays are all going to Hell unless they accept the ONE TRUE GOD JESUS CHRIST AMEN".

18. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

An interesting, yet very long clicky linky

You have to keep in mind that most of those views are medieval.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Ok, I give up here I think.

"How about that age between the onset of puberty (where they understand what they are consenting to) and the official age of consent. Like the 12 year old boy"

A 12 year old is far too young, immature and vulnerable to be able to consent to sex and understand the realities of what they are doing, pubescent or not. If you don't understand the difference between that and 2 consenting ADULTS, then I give in.

I'm still quite surprised that you can't swear or 'name-call' on here (even in jest), but you can share racist or homophobic views in what is a public board :eek: .

20. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

If you're talking about 12-year olds, then no, that's not informed consent. There's no basis to assume that a 12-year old understands the consequences, and their understanding of sex is still very limited.

And no, it's not pedophilia to be attracted to someone who has already hit puberty. There's something screwy about an adult-teen combo, sure, but it's not pedophilia.

And, as Drew already asked - twice - where are those lobby groups that are trying to lower the legal age of having sex using the same arguments as the gay rights groups?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.