1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Vote: Most difficult monster

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I am well aware of the differences between Kangaxx the Demi-Lich and a Lich, but a Lich on its own is quite deadly anyway, and does cast Time Stop.

I didn't mention Kangaxx anywhere in my post, so what are you smoking? :D

2. ShadowedAssasin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I hate them greater wolfweres. They regen 2 darn fast!!! A group of 3 of 'em took down my whole party, of course, my main char was only level 24...

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Javalar
    Your previous post came right after one where I pointed out that thing about Kangaxx, so I incorrectly read things into your post. Sorry 'bout that! :)

@ShadowedAssassin
    Your main char is level 24, you play with a party and you have problems with Greater Wolfweres? :confused:
    Honestly, one of those should be mincemeat in literally a few seconds. Are you not focusing all your attacks on one at a time? Also make sure you're using weapons and not your bare hands (unless you're a monk)! :p

Btw, what kind of character are you playing? Level 24 means either using ToB or removing the XP cap.

[ September 02, 2002, 01:58: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

4. ShadowedAssasin Gems: 1/31

I'm a level 24 assasin, with TOB. (though I'm playing SOA) Maybe my guys are weak, but I hit those greater wolfweres with all 6, it does about 50 damage, and in seconds, it says "Greater Wolfwere Uninjured" when I (tab) it.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Assasin should be able to kill it alone with belt of giant strenght, boots of speed and celestial fury.
    I myself once defeated 4 greater ones just with backstabbing(x5) :D :D :grin:

6. Arathorn Gems: 1/31

I must say vampires at a low level was very agonizing...at the least. I could've possibly pulled the cheapest trick in the book. After it took several trials to kill the other vampires and the fledglings, all that was left was the vampire that you couldn't kill until it dropped your fighters to a level so low they were negative. But anyway, the trick, I took 5 characters and equipped them with ranged attacks then i had one fighter laced with speed boots and I grouped all my 5 characters in a group at spot "X" then the vampire would chase my fighter that had the speedy boots on around the 5 characters. The vampire would always try to attack the one that was running away. And never attacked the 5 characters that were gradually killing it. Odd but helpful. Liches...when you don't have time stop they be a biotch

7. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"I must say vampires at a low level was very agonizing...at the least. I could've possibly pulled the cheapest trick in the book. After it took several trials to kill the other vampires and the fledglings, all that was left was the vampire that you couldn't kill until it dropped your fighters to a level so low they were negative. But anyway, the trick, I took 5 characters and equipped them with ranged attacks then i had one fighter laced with speed boots and I grouped all my 5 characters in a group at spot "X" then the vampire would chase my fighter that had the speedy boots on around the 5 characters. "

seriously, I just gave my strongest character the azurure-edge, and all vampires(except boss ones) died at a single hit.....

and well, the most difficult one is definetly lichs(I don't count dragons since they're more of bosses), elder eyes are powerful, but I never had as much problems with them as I had with liches...

[ September 16, 2002, 19:46: Message edited by: Ray192 ]

8. komei Gems: 5/31

It all depends on your equipment - with the relevant cloaks and shields, Beholders are no problem - Ulithids aren't too much of a problem if you cast Chaotic Commands on your main melee character - however, their intelligence draining attacks are still annoying, so they get my vote!

Early on in the game, a really good challenge are the adventurers (Mencar Pebblecrusher, Pooky, Orcslicer, the mage and the thief) on the 2nd floor of the 7 dales (vales?) inn in Walkeen's Promenade. Try fighting them with just your main protagonist, Minsc, Jaheira and Yoshimo (or fewer!) - and without running out of the room. I have a great way to do it without anyone dying or taking much injury - there are probably several ways - but at low levels with few spells/skills/items this is always a good challenge and you feel satisfied when you kill them and take their items!

9. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] THAT NASTY NASTY NASTY NASTY NASTY BLOODY ANNOYING BASTARD that pops up when ever i try and kill renal or any of the thif guild. The only ossible way to get around it is to hide in a corner and hoik a pit fiend there. Mind you, the other way is to work for bodi. The numerous demons in watchers keep as well. There is one room, all the protections you cast die immediately. And all the bossess at the end of watchers keep.

By the way KOMEI, i did that battle all on my lonesome. All i did was send in my bard with a couple of webs. Then, when caught, fireball. Malison afterwards and then webs adn fireballs and arrowing until death. She was on level 8 i thnk. All u have to do is do irenicus with the protaganist and imowoman. Free minsc and boot him. Tell him to wait where he is so you dot\nt have to put up with him later. You just got all the xp he gives u. Then get Jahera and tell her to wait outside the harper hold. If you want a ranger, make one yourself or get valygar. Minsc is a joke.

[ September 17, 2002, 08:17: Message edited by: Your Lord And Master ]

10. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This is probably pretty much from left field, certainly going against the grain, but the Crypt King in the Graveyard District is well hard. He diced up my party in a few hits, even after hasting and putting on various protections. My group's pretty low level and I'm playing on 'insane', but I'd say he's one of the hardest fights in Athkatla at the beginning.

11. Shiakh Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] As I don't have ToB, I have to say that those flipping Adamantite Golems are the worst. Elemental Liches also rank pretty high, but with breaching etc. spells they can be beaten. Any tips on those dumb purple golems? (btw, me being the new guy here, anyone want to help me find my way around this place? Like how to get back to previous topics etc? Oh, and what is that gem/pic things on the left <- and how dos it change? plz?)

[ September 17, 2002, 13:19: Message edited by: Shiakh ]

12. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If you're describing what I think you're describing, the "purple golems" are magic golems (which is ToB). They can only be hit with non-magical weapons and are immune to any magic. IIRC, magic attacks actually heal them.

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Liches are the worst, period.

/me wants to begome a lich

Ara
    (Providing you your daily complaints)

14. Ayla Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] so what's the diffrens between a werewolf and a wolfwere? I've tought they were the same, but none of them can beat an elder orb anyway, can they?

15. Ray192 Gems: 5/31

"so what's the diffrens between a werewolf and a wolfwere?"

werewolf is man becoming a half wolf, wolfwere is a wolf going half wolf.

16. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't know, but I figure an Alhoon is the toughest single monster. However maybe it's a boss monster? But then it doesn't even have a name... still Ulitharid+Lich = very tough single monster.

17. reggie Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] vampires...vampires...vampires...without a doubt the worst affliction of the entire game is level drain..which...in the heat of battle can be a drag to overcome...and if you are lucky to survive and then you have someone heal you via restoration....then that altruistic soul is now fatigued...and you must stop and rest..ugh...too bad there wasn't some sort of drow gatorade or something you could swig to overcome that tired feeling...

18. Ayla Gems: 1/31

so what's hardest to kill, a werewolf or a wolfwere?

19. komei Gems: 5/31

I thought Alhoon was the actual Character name of an Ulithid... he probably is stronger than a normal Ulithid.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I believe an Alhoon is the Illithid version of a Lich.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.