1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of Cheats?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Sep 23, 2001.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Yo! I want to know what you all think about cheats. I use then quite often. Maybe to much sometimes. But thats what happens when your looking for cheap thrills. But all you who think I over power my enimies with cheats your wrong! I have only a part of 3 to make a chalenge. Their all at 20th level got every thing they need and then some. But here's the down side of things. When your faced with so much power how do you chose between boots of speed and boots of grounding? You cant just carry it all around all the time. So you see with cheating comes lots of chose's and for me thats a bad thing. Very bad. And dont you all think that i haven't died alot cuz I'v died many many times. >:( If you use cheats do you have any guid lines or any thing like that?

2. new2BG Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

oooh, hey does that mean you know how to get to the baldur.ini file?? thats how u make the cheats right? well if u kno please tell!! cuz i think cheats are greaat!!

3. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Ok first of all do you have windows? Cuz if you do this is how you do it. Go to My Computer, open Program Files, open Black Island, open Baldur's Gate then look for a file simple named Baldur, it's next to the other file named Baldur with the Buldar's Gate icon. When you open it the top will look like this:

[Alias]
    HD0:=C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\
    CD1:=D:bad:CD1\
    CD2:=D:bad:CD2\
    CD3:=D:bad:CD3\
    CD4:=D:bad:CD4\
    CD5:=D:bad:CD5\
    CD6:=D:bad:CD6\

Scrole down till you get to the part were it says:[Game Options] Then right under it you can type: Cheats=1 After that you can accsee all the wonderful cheats! If you have any problems I'll be glad to help you out more.

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Never once used a console cheat. Trying to figure out how something works or similar to that effect I would, but not for just straight playing. I've used 3rd party utils sparingly. And when I first started playing I used x-cap remover but that's because I was a newbie and didn't know much anyway. That's about it. This is not to brag or whatever just to show that there are people that don't cheat (to offset the ones who do :p)

5. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] well first, being from sOv i have to both hack and play legit, but personally dont use hacks in the normal game its easy enough, but if u like them create your own maps, then make them so hard that you have no choice but to cheat

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Not to sound stupid but what is [sOv], some clan?

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited September 23, 2001).]

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Being level 20, I think it doesn't really matter what you use between those boots. 3 characters might be tough, but at level 20? I didn't even know that was supported in BG.

Guidelines by using cheats, I can't say I have, but playing without makes you more experienced with the game, forcing you to know the weaknesses of some enemies and where the traps are. You could always just summon drizzt defender if it gets too though.

What does your party consist of, any mages? And if yes, what spells do they use?

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Basically, who cares if soemones cheats. If you enjoy the game using cheat codes or whatever, go for it. If you enjoy making them up and trying them out, all the better. If it still chalanges you, cool as well. Basically, I try not to do it as I only play a game once usually and I like to play it through as it was intended. However, I have fooled around with characters after I've started the game as I have made my fair share of mistakes creating characters. Never did that in Baldur's Gate though and basically played through the whole game with a crappy main character. Anyway, mostly I try to stay away from them myself. But, if it's enjoyable for you, go for it.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] new2BG, don't ask the same question in two topics! You're just wasting time of people who answer you in the first one that way. Not to mention making duplicate posts. :flaming:

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited September 23, 2001).]

10. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

My party simply consits of a pure fighter, thief, mage. the only down side to having a thief is that when ever you try to steal something it never works :nolike: It also triggers the Flaming Fist. So I only use my thife for backstabing missions and picking off the smaller RPG's that i dont like. My fighter does just that, fight. He's the only one I have attack and unless he cant for some reision then I have my theif start to attack. My mage i use for hauling all my junk and some times I use her magic missles for deffence. She manly takes up the rear. Another down side to having high level PC's is that it scares away the chickens, lol.

11. new2BG Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] sorry Taluntain..! i just couldnt get it.. but now i finally did! thanx sooo much dragon rider!

12. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Any time newBG. Thats what i'm here for.

13. comicspaul Gems: 1/31

I foolishly used CLUAConsole and custom item cheats in a recent game and found that it completely destroyed any challenge in the game, although it was a laugh annihilating everyone in the Friendly Arm Inn area...(who said it was Friendly???..lol)

So now I am playing it through again with no cheats and find that I am enjoying it, my primary reason for playing through again is to play BG1 and BG2 with the same character....but I have allowed myself one small cheat by kitting out my characters with Boots of Speed just to help them zip about the maps quicker....and I dont lose my patience waiting for them to move from one end of a map screen to the other....but I am unashamed....lol

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've never used any cheats for any IE game. Cheats are lame :p.

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I hate cheats that make that make the games easier and so spoil it all... I do like cheats that make the game more funny, like the cheat where you can have boo in your party.

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I've always thought of people who use cheats to enhance their game in the sense of how challenging it is to be unskilled, boring and so uncool. Even if you come up with the excuse "I'm new to the thing" doesn't mean you have to use a cheat. All it means is that you're too unwilling to try hard and beat the game.

So sorry if anyone is offended by this but cheats suck! :nono: :shame: :nolike:

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Cheating is weak. But, you paid your money, play your game however you want.

If you want to be lame, it's up to you. :p

18. to cheat is to DESTROY

Don't waste your time...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2018
  19. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Cheating is just another way of gaming. Personally I don't like using full-time super characters - i find it boring after 2 minutes - but now and then (usually before turning off the computer) I save the game and start using cheats just to kill everyone in the area. It's fun, in a different way from normal playing, and I suppose many people (I actually know more than one) like it more than regular games.

One note: it is often boring to be prevented against cheats. There are ones who will save you a lot of time. E.G. the "teleport" cheat is very useful to walk around towns and leave dungeons after killing the main monster. Even using editors may be lawful; beside the fun of taking any appearance you want, it may save your time. I used to have a Paladin who could cast a few Protection from Evil, which were really boring to cast one at a time before battles: I changed 6 of them into a Protection from Evil 3 meters' radius, a timesaver (I never cast that spell during battles, so I get no advantage).
    Not to speak about the usefulness of SetCurrentXP() to take a look at what your character will become 40 gaming hours later, thus allowing you to choose the 'best' class.

20. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Cheats are a waste of time. I have never used them, and never will.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.