1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I have a subject to bring up.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jhonka, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

Maybe it's been done here before, I don't know.

Before I bring out what I have to show, however, there's a question to ask.

Do you support, endorse, or otherwise approve of PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals)?

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

No, I would support people for the ethical treatment of people, for it is really only by treating everybody in an ethical manner, that we could then treat the rest of the environment in an ethical manner. But that will never happen as business and government are not ethical themselves.

EDIT: I suspect whatnots is also not the forum for this subject

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I am an animal lover and support animal rights, but PETA are *******s.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Not really. While animals deserve to be treated well - as in, not abused or neglected - that fact remains that they're ANIMALS. DS said it very well, our first priority in cleaning up the mess that society has become is to encourage the ethical treatment of one's fellow human beings.

The main problem I have with PETA is the same at that I have with many groups of a wide variety of beliefs: please, members, by all means live according to your personal beliefs, whatever they may be. But stop trying to force me to do the same when I don't share those beliefs!

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Not really. It's wrong to treat animals with cruelty for no reason, but there's no tigers association for the well-treating of humans either. We have the might, so we have the right. That's nature.

That said, it´s not a bad idea. Just really not a priority. What Rally and DS said really.
    :borg:

6. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I certainly approve of groups for ethical treatment of... whatever, be it PETA or AI. Their goals are one and the same in me mind, encourage those special animals (humans) to live a life of empathy, not autism.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It's wrong to mistreat animals, but there's more to it than humans being parasites. Such organisations as PETA are needed to turn the public eye to the problem of how animals are treated, but when human rights lose priority to animal rights, then something is going wrong. This is not to say that every single animal rights organisation should spend some or most of the time campaigning for human rights instead, but just to say that there need to be some clear priorities.

Of course, just that even human rights are violated openly so widely is no excuse to treat animals with cruelty and inflict unnecessary suffering.

Also, they have sufficiently dissuaded me from wearing any fur or leather, but naked protests are a bit much. :p

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Are you also a vegetarian, then, Chev? Personally I think it's a great shame to eat the meat of an animal and waste the hide. If you're goign to take its life, make that sacrifice count as fully as possible.

9. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

But most of the fur is coming from the animals which are killed ONLY for their fur. The rest of the animal is wasted

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I'll admit that I know little of the fur and leather goods industries, Argohir. I imagine that you're right when it comes to fur-animals, because fox an mink-meat is too gamy to be edible. But does the same thing apply to leather? Is it really true that the skins of cattle and pigs and sheep that are slaughtered for their meat go to waste?

If that is so, it's sickening.

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I fully support PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).

12. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Tasty animals are nice!

on topic: no i dont support, and i am not going to, whether or not animals are trated properly, i dont really care

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... no, not really. Just not a great fan of meat, but not vegetarian. But fur animals aren't normally eaten and I'm not sure animals killed for leather are, either. I'm fine with synthetic fur for linings... not like I wear anything like that anymore. But if a healthy animal posing no danger were to be killed just for the hide or fun, the meat going to waste, that would be bad.

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Damn, BTA beat me to it....

I don't really care to much for the organization though (and certainly do not support them).

15. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Good point, Chev, most of the time those killed for fur are, in fact, not eaten. If they were, or vice-versa, furs of eaten animals would be used, then it would be not that big deal.
    But who would eat, say, weasel meat?

But leather clothes are, always if I'm not mistaken, made from pig and cattle skin. So I'm not really sure about their origin. Althought common sense dictates that no-one would just breed pigs for leather, althought the vice-versa could apply here. Perhaps some studying about the matter would be in order...

16. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I don't support PETA, it's just a way for celebrities to get some positive publicity.

I don't stand still by the fact that my leather jacket came from an animal, or even care that an animal might have been killed just for my jacket. So it would be kinda hypocritical of me to be against fur, just because I don't wear it (real men don't wear fur y'know ;) ). I'm all for treating animal ethically; they should kill them nice and quickly before they wind up on my plate.

Ever notice how people take it out on fur more often than on leather? It's simply easier to be violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs :D

17. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Both yes and no. No for cattles, pigs and sheep, yes for seals , crocodiles etc.

18. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm for PETA:

People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

19. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Heh. I thought furs arent considered the rage anymore cause the process of getting them off the damn animals defies words.

/stick in the mud

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

PETA is crap. They're the idiots of animal rights activists. I much prefer the other animal rights organization, whose acronym I can't remember at the moment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.