1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Terror plot foiled at Heathrow

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The suspects arrested seem to be mainly British Asians. Will we ever be safe in our own country? We'll never manage to stop all attacks from within - some will be successful.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The oddest thing I thought about the whole thing was Bush said this is a stark reminder that we are at war with Islamic fascists. Really? When did that happen? First we were at war with Islamic terrorists. Then we were at war with Islamic insurgents, and now Islamic fascists. What purpose does he have for (inaccurately) renaming the same group of people? And it's not like they are all synonymous terms either. While a terrorist could certainly also be an insurgent and/or a fascist, it's not like the three groups are mutually inclusive.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Methinks you are spending too much time focusing on the secondary words of fascists, terrorists, insurgents, etc. and not enough time on the first word, Islamic.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    But the problem isn't that they are Islamic. The problem is that they are terrorists, insurgents and/or fascists, or all three, depending on who you ask. Oh, and I think they've used "radicals" in the past too.

I guess my main problem with all of this is that Bush (and apparently you, TGS) view all of them equally. The War on Terror is the War on Terror. The war against Iraq is the same as against al Queda in Afghanistan, is the same as the Iranian-fueled Hezbollah in Lebanon, and the democratically elected Hamas in Palestine. This, despite the fact that the groups are very different ideologically, and more than just as a difference between Shia and Sunni (although that certainly plays a part). Actually, take a look at this Newsweek article, as the author states his position far more elequently than I can ever hope to.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is insane. Now nobody can take anything onto the plane. Even baby formula has to be tasted first!

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

What gets me is that bombings and other horrid acts of terror happen every day in a country like Zimbabwe and never gets mentioned in the paper.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Only black people die in Zimbabwe, thats the difference. Horrid but true.

As for this, well, we live in a radicalized world and I dont think we will see the end of it in quite some time. One thing I do know is that you dont smash mosquitos with a baseball bat or remove a braintumour with a meatcleaver. If you do you are prone to destroy the surroundings.

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well, it's a good affirmation that the next will be Iran.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you want to use that type of analogy, just look at chemotherapy and other cancer treatments where there is plenty of healthy tissue destroyed to get rid of the bad.

10. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

But Iran is not an easy pie. It is stronger than the sum of Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and Lebanon. Israel and USA can bomb Iran from air but they have no chance in land. Iran is not Iraq; they will fight to the last man and Iran's geography is suitable for guerilla war. If somebody stops Israel, it will be Iran and it will be very bloody.

11. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

So I am scheduled to fly out of San Diego on Sat night after I get off work. Until today, I was planing to leave work, get to my friend's place and she would drive me to the airport and I'd get there an hour before my flight had to leave. Now, United is telling me to get there three hours before my departure time. So I have had to rearrange my work schedule as well as the schedule of half of my co-workers, so I can get an earlier shift so I can leave early.
    The title of this thread says the terror plot was foiled? No, it wasn't. Sure no planes blew up, but from what I've read they were only planning on doing a test run right now. But the terrorists have managed to inconveniance millions of travelers in Europe and the US. Sure no people died, but I'd say this attempt was pretty successful non the less.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

And I heard on the news tonight that you now need 2 pieces of photo ID to get across the border. I have a Passport, but I can't get a driver's liscence because I can't safely operate a motor vehicle, and I can't get a straight answer on what I need to get a Health Card with a picture on it (even though that's not supposed to be used for ID for purposes other than healthcare).

The problem is with groups claiming to be Islamic that want to kill innocent people because they aren't Islamic.

13. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Do you say Muslims are trouble? Jews cause far more trouble than Muslims and deserve to be called terrorists. Not all of them, but the likes of you.

The attacks against Israel can't be named as terrorist attacks; but this one is truly a terrorist attack.

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    just another excuse to take away some more of our freedom in the name of security.. just a simple reminder that the governments can screw with us anytime they want.

they keep reaching and reaching but the simple fact is that you cannot make a plane safe, too many people have access, if you really wanted to get a device on a plane then you would succeed, no matter how many checks are made.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I was suffering inside watching Bush's gargantuan effort to form those three mangled sentences that included "Islamic fascists". For God's sake, can't they shove a speaker into his ear and dictate to him what he should say?! Someone put him out of his misery, for heaven's sake... I'm sure he's been told to think very hard about everything he intends to say before actually saying it, but this is getting ridiculous.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Eh? Anything that saves innocent lives and stops murdering scum from carrying out a mass killing has surely been a success?

Don't forget that these planes were set to fly to the US, so British officials saved American lives as well.

I'm not being funny, but to say that this mission wasn't a success and that this attack was not foiled is ridiculous mate. People saved lives here, show some respect :toofar: .

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Barmy: I think that what he was saying is that it's a win-win situation for the terrorists - even if they get caught, they've still caused terror. There isn't really a way for the UK to win - just minimise the damage.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Gnarff,

While I can't confirm this for Canada, I imagine they have to have something like the U.S. has with state identification cards. Every state in the U.S. allows you to get a state identification card for about $20. It looks just like a driver's license, it has your picture on it, your date of birth, etc., with the only difference being it says "identification card" instead of "driver's license" across the top. They are popular among high school and college students who don't have their license yet, but still want to get into bars or over 18 night clubs.

And of course the plot was foiled. The fact that this was a test run is irrelevant. If they hadn't stopped the test run, then it would be extremely likely that they would have actually carried out the attack in the near future. I really have to question one's perspective if you can't see the difference between hundres dying and thousands being inconvenienced. Especially considering for most people it's no inconenience at all, as the average person doesn't fly regularly.

19. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i have to say, when i read about these attacks and the panic caused, i rolled my eyes.

once again, a mountain has been made from a molehill.. yes, it was a potential vesuvius(sp?) but it didnt happen, they didnt even get close to carrying out these attacks, and not only that, you have to question if they had the planning ability to actually get these devices onboard an aircraft from heathrow airport, this is not MI6 or the CIA we're talking about here its a rag tag bunch of terrorists.
    this information was never needed to be released in this manner, all that had to be realeased was "police have raided a site in london and recovered a quantity of explosives, several arrests were made" the information about the intent could be released in small amounts over a period of weeks. but no, they released all information in 1 day, the media made it look like people were so close to being killed they could wedgie death.

the media suck, panic and hysteria. kiss my ass

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well...it looks like get to be the first to say,

"Thank you British Intelligence and Police Force!" :wave: :D

While everyone else is babbling on and on about Muslims this, and what country is going to blow up who, and Bush sucks at whatever...I think we need to take a side step and just think of what *could* have happened if these terrorists were able to suceed in their plans!

Buddy, you should be thankful that you *can* fly. If you don't like the security measures we all must live with to ensure everyone's safety, then buy yourself a canoe and paddle across the ocean to wherever you need to go. It's just another sign of our times. Some d**kwads just take pleasure in ruining a good thing for everyone. :nono:

So thanks again UK! :thumb: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.