1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

British Gals Outdrink their Men

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The Irish gals do too. Here's the report. OK technically, it's binge drinking. I'm sure British men still consume more alcohol as a whole than women, but as far as benders go, the women do so more often.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yes thats very true, men are usually more relaxed drinkers, while the local women are more for the 'club scene'.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Very bad news. And I have no idea how to stop it :(

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually Abom, ifi you're a single guy, then it might be good news.

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Sorry, but what is "binge drinking"?

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Drinking loads in a short time.

Women do it BIG time. I don't know many lasses who know how to pace themselves.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Back in secondary school, we would have a boozing party every week. My friend and former crush drank with us guys and sometimes with 10 people drinking, there were 20 bottles under the table in the morning. At one such party, I saw a friend's 15 year old sister finishing off a bottle of vodka straight from the neck. My aunt always drinks Martini straight and has been known to down a bottle of wine to a meal or conversation.

8. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, if you're a prospective date rapist, it's just great!

9. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Lovely sentiment medicore man. :rolleyes:

If it were the guy plying a woman with alcohol that might be a fair comment but if she's already blotted by the time you start flirting, its ok.

10. chevalier

Media:
    Pseudospawn, I beg to differ. It's not the same as offering drinks to make her easier to lay, which is not the same as disguising powerful drinks as weak cocktails, which in turn is not the same as date rape pills etc. But it's not the same as good old-fashioned consent. ;) Well, depends how far it goes. One or five drinks to make the conversation start aren't that bad, I guess, especially if it's not a stranger. But if it ends in bed, it's not the same as willing and knowing consent, anyway.

11. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Efficiency to degrade alcohol depends on a gene that is made from mitochondria DNA. Mitochondria only comes from your mom. So if your mom a good drinker, then you are, never your father.

12. auril Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Although an interesting article to be sure, this part was a load of bull****:

That's such crap. Raising taxes will just piss people off. The quote makes me skeptical as if the results were perhaps not formulated specifically for the purpose of raising taxes- like they need an excuse. The EU thinks they can solve everything when they really should just get their big french nose out of people's business.

13. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Not neccessarily, auril. A pure economic analysis may be the reason they are thinking this way, but in order to come to this conclusion they have to ignore a lot that is not 'strictly' economics. Raise taxes, and the amount consumed will go down, yes. But the majority of the drinks that are no longer being had will be by those for whom drinking is not that important. The same way that a tax hike for gas would not reduce gas consumption much: because for many people it is an important/neccessary part of their lives. So the heavy drinkers will be for the most part unaffected in their drinking habits, and the tax will not reduce deaths significatnly. Meanwhile, the non-heavy drinkers just get pissed. Counterproductive unless your only goal is raise money.

Heh, I do believe that in clarifying I just talked my way right back to your point. :roll:

14. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Duty on Cigarettes and Alcohol increases every year but never to the point where some people will be 'priced out of the market'.

The effect of this would be very limited though as most bars and clubs have discount pitchers/happy hours/BOGOF offers. so alcohol ends up being very cheap if you time your drinking right.

That is also said to be the problem, people are so desperate to save money on a night out that they drink as much in the time that it is cheap and end up a wreck before midnight.

I think thats one of the reasons why 24hr licensing was supposedly introduced, if clubs closed later then people would feel less *need* to drink so much in a short space of time and space it out over the night.

Yeah we could just be responsible, realise we don't need to be plastered to have fun and try to pace our drinking like all those other europeans. But then we'd be losing what makes us British so great ;)

15. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    if anything a cap on alcohol content would be a better solution, cutting down on 5.3% strongbow and 5.5% stella, research shows that people will typically drink the same amount without focus on content.

16. chevalier

Media:
    The EU just loves taxes and can't imagine them not being abysmal. It actually reprimands member states for taxes being too low sometimes. :rolleyes:

And imagine what stuff people will drink when legal and good alcohol becomes too expensive. Imagine what two euro per bottle booze does to your organism.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.