1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Only Diet Soda

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 3, 2006.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't know very many high school students, do you? :D We all know that no reasonable high school student would ever willingly do anything that could be bad for them -- unfortunately, reasonable high school students are quite rare (one of the few time honored truth's in the world).

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually, my brother just graduated from high school this past week. He, his girlfriend, and most of his other friends all drink diet soda, because they are terrified of "getting fat" (this thought process applies more to the girls) even though none of them are anywhere approaching fat at the moment. You're right that high school students are not reasonable, but they posess vanity in abundance.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I can't describe my happiness at Arlyn's intense dislike of all soda. I fervently hope that doesn't change as he grows up - and that he passes it along to his brother.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Funnny Rally, both of my kids absolutely refuse to drink any soda at all. They chug milk like it's going out of style and drink some fruit juice as well.

The scary thing from my perspective is that some of my kids' friends (remember that they are 5 and 8, not teenagers) drink diet sodas constantly. What do the chemicals in these drink do to developing bodies and brains? I remember when I was studying for the bar that some of my friends swore off diet drinks because they found that the sweetener interfered with their ability to retain facts. Lovely.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    dmc, I agree wholeheartedly! Yesterday at karate practice I sat with a mom who let her 3-yo daughter finish her Diet Coke. :(

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I love all those shows on TV where they show parents how old and fat their kids will look when they're 40 if they keep feeding them fizzy drinks and chips.

7. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    My girls love Diet Cokes and I let them drink it on occasion. But mostly it's juice and milk - apple juice, grape juice, orange juice, etc. Juice still has too much sugar for them, so I often give them just bottled water - they like that too, espeically if they see me drinking it.

8. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

My parents raised me to drink water, milk, and juice, and I usually do. When I go to restaurants, I choose water over fountain drinks. I only drink soda on the weekends at home. I think it has to do with how people raise their kids. If they give them soda when they are young, they'll drink it later.

Plus, all that fakeness (not a real word) in soda is not good for younger kids... brain development and such.

9. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Could be, but the beer and coffee come later as well. As a parent it's hard for me to tell my kids not to drink Cokes because it's bad for them while I drink beer, wine, coffee, etc. Cokes are easy because I just don't buy them that often, so they are not in our house to create a problem.

Credibility is always important. If my girls see me drinking something that they know is not "good for me," while I am always preaching at them, they will think that either I don't know what I am talking about, or worse, that I think they are too stupid to figure out what's going on. I try to teach them moderation in everything and I try to live that example.

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Wrong. I grew up drinking water, milk and juice, and look at me now, I am fueled by Coke Zero. This stuff is probably killing me very slowly, but that's one thing I won't stop. Slow down, okay, but not stop.

11. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've been afraid to drink out of cans since I saw that MSNBC report on aluminium cans and altzhimers! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.