1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Your Life vs the Life of a Random Person

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Deathmage, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    But the context is everything. It's crucial in answering questions such as this. That's why I'd choose the other guy, since the chances are that the other guy's going to be less significant for the world's and humanity's well being than me.

If it'd be me against say, a thousand scientists, I'd be toast.

2. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Interesting topic...

I didn't vote because I'm still thinking...so I guess it's safe to say that I'd be hesitating for a *very* long time...Although if it was me vs. more than one person then I'd choose to die I suppose.

I agree with Iku-Turso, the context is important. For example my decision would depend on, say, what type of person they are (even if you don't know anything about the random person you can still learn a little about who they are just by observing them) etc...

3. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The random people dies no question about it. I like myself and I would never get likked/die if I din't get any credit for it.

A person dies from famine every three second and are you moved do you really care?
    I feel sorry for those whoo die too young but I can't say that I get moved by it or anything like that, perhaps upset but not moved.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I die, I couldn't live knowing somebody died because I choosed that to happen,I'd shoot myself probably and two->thousand dead bodies is worse than one.

5. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Well of course you're not going to be moved every three seconds because some poor starved person dies, but wouldn't you feel something if a person standing right in front of you died because you said so?

If I couldn't decide at the time I would tell the other person to choose.

6. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

What if the person who appeared was the person who was about to come inside with the laser? Then what would happen?

Anyway, I'd have to let the other person die.

7. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Eh? I don't get it...

8. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think the reaction of the second person would have some impact on our decision as well. It's always been never impossible for me to act in relatively selfish manner one someone starts crying; once the other person starts to humanize themselves, most people's "super ego" starts going and without underlying ideology it's hard to not rationalize their humanity as well.

Now assuming we couldn't put a human face or feelings to that person, the matter becomes easier.

I can't imagine blurting out "kill them" while the person next to me is sobbing "don't kill me, please don't kill me.". I know myself well enough to know that I key in on the feelings of others and I assume most others have some degree of empathy as well, maybe not morally "Good" levels of empathy, but I don't think the choice to wax the next person would be as biological as we tend to think humans act in such situations.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Again, the choice isn't 'do you want to kill this person?' but a mixture of that and 'do you want to die?'.

The fact that they are another person is as always a sad thing but the end result is that somebody is going to die no matter what. The rational approach is that one person will die, the ego says "it might as well not be me". The compassionate approach is what could tip people over to killing themselves but I honestly doubt the majority would make that decision.

10. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Nice topic. :)

Being as I'm the first person I've seen here to admit they have caused the death of another (my high-school sweetheart breathed her last in my arms because I "failed to pay due attention while operating a motor vehicle"), it's interesting to see that I'm one of the few people sitting on the fence.

I honesty don't know what I'd choose.

The big factor in the favour of choosing the other person isn't MY life, but the lives of those people I'm important to; I couldn't bear the though of my wife going through the same long dark funk I went through after the car accident.

But then, on the other side of the scales, what about the lives that this other person is important to? Their parents/children/spouse/lover/so on?

:confused:

I really can't say what I'd say....except maybe "I can't make up my mind - ask him/her." *points to the other random person* :p

EDIT: Okay, after skimming through the discussion here, I'm swayed very slightly towards self-preservation in this specific situation with no further info provided.

But it's extremely close; I'd say even my mood at the time of the 'trial' could make me choose a different answer.

Oh, and as for the other questions? Surprisingly, still me. Indeed, I find condemming larger groups of random people easier, by virtue of the fact that a group is less human and individual than a...well, individual; you dehumanize someone by throwing them into a group, even slightly. It's no longer "Joe, the garbageman that digs Brittney Spears and writes gothic poetry in his spare time" but "ten garbage collectors" or "ten random men with widely varying backgrounds and personalities that they cannot be as easily concieved in one's mind as a single person."

So probably me over them...maybe...if I wasn't feeling depressed and self-loathing that day...or had an argument with the wife and might wish to die to spite her. ;)

Have I said how interesting, fascinating and yes - a little unsettling - this topic is? Thanks! :D

[ September 21, 2006, 18:41: Message edited by: jaded empath ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.