1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aspartame - no joke

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wirhe's comments are sensible here. Anyone who regularly drinks more than two fizzy drinks a day is asking for trouble. Anyone who just has one now and again should have nothing to worry about.

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

@T2B the point I was going to make is that there have been to date no long-term acute or chronic studies of the prolonged usage of Aspartame it's in over 5000 foodstuffs and this is a higher concentration than 1 can and until they can show how safe it is I'm going to avoid it as much as possible. History is littered with cases where the companies have put profit before safety and for 2 classic examples try Thalidomide and DDT.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How's this?

Thalidomide changed the way testing is done. It was clear the testing was not appropriate and, in some cases, falsified. In the wake of thalidomide testing is much more thorough and results are more closely scrutinized. DDT was designed to kill -- a rather unfair and inappropriate comparison with aspartame.

I'm sure, with just a little effort, any person could find numerous, credible studies on aspartame. But then, the same person could just look at the doomsayer sites and ignore scientific evidence.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The long-term effects of aspartame definitively need some deep studying. But until we have solid, reliable data that clearly pinpoints aspartame as a poison, let's not freak out about it. The golden rule of moderation applies here.

Ironic that I'm writing that while drinking a bottle of Coke Zero...

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There ARE long term studies. There IS reliable data. :rolleyes:

6. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

BUT they did cause cancer, didn't they? It's not possible to have the mice alive for, say, 40 years consuming small amounts- mice don't live that long, and you wouldn't get the results for ages. So you give large amounts.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You know what? We are all going to die someday anyway, wether it's due to a heart attack from being morbidly obese at age 25, or from a super sweetining chemical-induced coma at age 30.

The point is, we're all f***ed one way or another. The fat man chooses McDonnalds as his killer, and all those people with a sweet tooth choose aspartame as their killer.

Now...lets see how many of you know how to pronounce the word aspartame! I've heard it spoken 2 different ways:

Ass-per-tame
    and
    As-part-a-mean

Which is the correct way of pronuncing it? :rolling:

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    as·par·tame ?

Right Kitrax. I'm going to die from something.

Refined sugar is a man made product. Salt is a poison (I can have as much salt as I want. No restriction there). And for me, honey, which I love, is a poison.

Exercise has not been mentioned here. Without it just about everything is bad for you. Now I need to stop agruing about lab rats on SP and get off my butt and exercise a little.

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Again, sorry for the link to a bad article. I've learned a lesson about doing more research before posting topics while I am 1/2 blitzed on sleep deprivation.

I'm not going to post another link for now. Today I was at my local pharmacy and asked them to do a search for information on the side effects of aspartame. I consider them to be a fairly valid source of information. When I get the results I'll post what I learned.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    You know, I just read something in the joke thread that applies to this thread:
    Nakia, You've almost got it. There is more of an "errr" sound than an "R" sound in aspartame. :rolling:

11. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know this is slightly off topic, but I want to point out that pennicilin kills guinea pigs and many other rodents. If we used our modern animal tests to determine it's safety, (aruably) on of the most pivotal medical discoveries we've ever made would have been left by the wayside. I bring this up as a way of pointing out that what gives a mouse cancer does not necessarily have the same effect on a human.

12. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hahaha! Indeed! :thumb:

At any rate, I don't really care. We all gotta die of something, and most importantly, we all die. So don't worry be merry!

/lifts a 2L of Diet Dr. Pepper

Cheers!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.