1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Life...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 30, 2005.

1. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was under the same assumption....and take part fault for the way things have gone. But I am invigorated at where this post is going "through all the meaningless slandering" very intersting opinons are developing

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Right then. The board is even. But a question: what did you mean by your last sentence? You want me to grow up...?

And by the way, picking apart peoples phrasing until they get it so we can understand perfecly is what we do in AoDA (or end up doing, if it wasn't our intentions).

Tipperon:
    What about those who cannot 'pull out of it', as you like to say? I know someone who watched her cousin die right in front of her eyes, and she cannot help but being depressed. It is not her fault, and although she tries very hard, it is very difficult for her. You think she is weak despite the fact that she tries? People like her don't need your pity, either, they need your help. And if you refuse to help her, shame on you. Someone in a condition that could end up taking their life, or one that just makes them sad (depressed, if you will) most likely needs help, and if you won't help them, or at least care, shame on you.

Now, I realize you did not actually say that you wouldn't help them, but the way that you speak (no pity, no remorse, etc) implies that you would not help.

EDIT: Wow, I did not see Tipp's post on page 3 (second to last post), and now that I just saw it, I am even more apalled than before. You are truly a sad, sad, person. I am with DotW, Tipperon. I leave you with this message: The people who mock people in need of help are the truly weak. You are weak, tipperon.

3. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Oh I would like to help if I could, but most of them push you away. I think wastes of human life is sad. When a person throws away their life they can never see or do many of the beutiful things in this world. After their gone however I cannot feel for them. They are beyond help and I think they were stupid to put themselves there.

There is a human being behind these post Saber.

EDIT: here we go, this is why I love these discussions:
    That is quite an opinion Saber; however, I'll have to disagree with you. I do not mock people who are in need of help. I just find it disturbing when people claim they "are too far gone." They push away all the possible friends they could have and wallow in they're misery. In the face of an extremly depressed person I would lend a hand but only once. If they fail to receive help they are on their own.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@tarnish:
    Why don't you make another topic to continue this :yot: discussion if it really 'invigorates' you so much?

@Saber:
    If you're really so appalled, go tell a mod and get them to do something. (I assume you know how to link.) Calling someone weak will just lead to flaming, especially if it's someone so desperate to prove that they're not.

5. Saber

They do not necessarily put themselves there. Depression is an illness, a sickness, a medical condition, or whatever else you wish to call it. The situations around them (and I do not use 'them' as a term of alienation) are factors in the change of health. If the situations traumatizes them, it is not their fault, unless you blame someone for being in the wrong place at the right time. Their body reacts to that situation in a negative way (if they are traumatized, of course), and they cannot simply "choose" for their body to return to normal.

Tipperon, as a side question, how old are you? I will not use it against you, by the way. But a suggestion: despite your age, I suggest doing some reading on depression, or find people who are involved with depression and ask them about it (not necessarily the depressed, but perhaps their friends, family, and others who are concerned with them).

EDIT:
    Sorry, I do not mean to start flaming. And if I did go to a mod, I doubt they would do anything (not saying they are incompetent), for they cannot warn him for stating his opinions, even if I disagree. Or can they? Let me check...

[ November 04, 2005, 05:08: Message edited by: Saber ]

6. tipperon Gems: 3/31

Here we go again with the age thing...
    Does it matter? Age does not always bring wisdom. For all you know I might be 65.

And lets stop this chewing each other out. This is about opinion not about the people behind them.

And about the being bone with it. If its depression that has come to a person. Say an event in their life or the conditions they live in. It is a case of mind over matter. Change what makes you depressed or (in the case it was say the death of a friend) move on.

If you want to talk about a medical condition (say depression is the only emotion the person body can generate) then thats a different matter. Generic depression cannot be helped. God save the souls of those who have it.

7. Saber

For many, it is impossible to move on. The person who died may be too dear/near to their hearts, and they cannot take it. Perhaps for you, it is easier, but that is not true of everyone.

And I was just wondering what your age was, I was not going to say anything else. My advice was universal: anyone of any age could use it...

8. tipperon Gems: 3/31

Ok....enough, this is a topic about *LIFE*, last time I checked depression was a totally different word. You wanna have a battle of opinion on the topic depression? start another post.

To get us back on track, what do you people think aboutthe good stuff in life. Is it really about money, fast cars, and sex? Or is life about having food, shelter and a place to hang your hat? Is the humble man's life for you? Or do you like to play with the high rollers.

9. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

OK, I admit, I was being very stubborn. which lead me to get slightly annoyed, and thus the "grow up" was just my of retaliating. didn't make much sense eh? i agree.

Anyway were even, and even though there was much dissagreement througout the thread. I quite enjoyed the discussion :D The reason being that I'm far too submissive in person to ever stand up for what I believe in.

thanx "saber" for a deeper/different insight to some very intersting issues.

and tipperon, chill man. :cool:

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Friendly moderator here: Read the posts, saw the flames, figure that some of what was said could have been said more diplomatically, also figure that generalization of all depressed people as "weak" is taking things a bit too far. So, with that exposition, please note:

This thread, while ostensibly titled "Life..." also had this bit in the intro post:

I think discussions generically about depression might fit into the latter part -- but about your own depression and how it impacts YOUR life. Generic discussions about depression, clinical depression, etc., sure as heck strays too far from the thread topic, so start another one. (And lower the flames a bit, or you'll burn dinner. ;) )

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

@Big Cat: Perhaps my point wasn't clear. I am not trying to prove that I'm not weak, I have nothing to prove. Choosing to face a depression/manic depression without medication is harder than bury it under medication; but in the long run, it's worth it.

We should follow dmc's advice and start a thread about depression, but since this is a far more serious topic, it would be better suited in AoDA. See you there.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@DotW:
    I wasn't talking about you. :shake:

Life contains nothing, for everything contains life. :roll:

13. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

life........is like a box of chocolates. Not because you don't know what you are going to get next, but because life can be sweet and good.
    And as for depression, well just don't follow that scientology stuff that Tom Cruz talks about, he can't even read.

14. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

come to think of it, you can make just about any analogy about life, about anything :p

15. tipperon Gems: 3/31

life is like pie. on the out side it might seem brown and crusty but deep down the is the soft tasty filling.

im hungry

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    When you're sitting down after a hard week's work with your family, just talking about the week and what's going on in everyone's life, that's what it's all about. I don't care about the higher meaning of life and purpose for everything -- I love my wife and kids and that's where it's at.

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As Harbourboy said there: "Life is what you make of it."

I've learned a lot about it in the past year, I believe. Last february I quit my steady job and became a temporary worker instead. I've done like 2 days a month since, draining on my savings (aside from the 2 months in summer I was working steadily). The idea was to get more time for studying. As every year before, nothing came of it.

It went to the point where after years of trying and praying and asking and hoping, and seeing no positive results at all, I had to admit the inevitable to myself. There is no God, there is no hope. Nobody will never ever pull you up when you fall, and there's not a goddamn nice thing in life *unless* you make it yourself. If you can't, well... I'm sure I don't have to say it.

Teenage angst is an annoying thing. But there's a difference when you're 24, and since 18 all you've done is failed, failed, failed, failed and failed in whatever it is you've been trying to do. Mainly because you just don't care enough about any of it. That's not some random trendy angst, it's something that comes from very sad experience of life. These days the only thing I can take any pride of is the fact that my English still sounds and looks ok.

I think perhaps one of the biggest problems in modern day is not depression, it's the way people view the world. I mean I'm not depressed, I've been that and I know damn well this is not it. I have my happy moments and most of the time I can ignore everything in a happy bliss. What I, and an increasing amount of people I know have, is the lack of any interesting goals in life.

What is there to work for, I mean really if you stop and think about it what the heck is the point? More money? Yeah like that helps, I've been enjoying this time with far less money and waaahhaaay more time far more than the situation I had before. Love? Like you can work for something based entirely on luck and legends, and even then comes with a huge amount of problems of their own. Life isn't frigging hollywood, if you're lucky you'll get a few short relationships and that's it. Hobbies? Since when were hobbies about working anyway?

I think that on a larger scale, some people are just meant to be like this. Call us a sort of backup made by evolution in case something bad happens, or something. Dormant sleepers who cannot function in this world, but may be far more effective in other circumstances. Some people happily study, work, and live the dream of a life that was forced into their heads since they were children. And when something goes terribly wrong, they panic, break down and become next to useless or die.

Too bad if this is the case, nobody ever asked us.

So here I am, exactly the way I have made myself. Ever a dreamer, with vivid imagination, some faith and lots of hope. And now with most of that lost, there's absolutely nothing I've aquired to make up for it.

I need a chrisis, something bigger than myself to make all of this feel worthwhile. Death is not a chrisis, it's a release even if I feel the natural fear any human should toward it. Right now, life feels like an unfinished game, where at the age of understanding you just run out of things to do.

*Sigh* stream of consciousness again.

Currently I've two solutions to this which I'm going to try out. Something extreme and dangerous, enough to draw me away form the intellectual level to the instinctual. As a human I still have my animal feelings and emotions, and living with them would certainly spice things up to the point of making ignoring all wondering about life's purpose completely possible. The other, the one I'm going for first, is simply accepting things as they are and working towards whatever I deem the most interesting of all these highly uninteresting things in life. I will try to adapt the attitude one of my friends has, systematically building up whatever I believe needs fixing in my life, almost as if led by some computer.

Afterall, since there's absolutely nothing *realistically* achievable left before death... why not do whatever you damn well please? I've been down the other road and I know precisely where that leads.

I hope you all enjoy your lives, most of the time. It's a good thing to be able to do that. Sorry for the "angst", this board has way too much of it on accounts of some people anyway.

*Edit:*

Oh and concerning the "depressed people are weak" issue, I absolutely agree. Of course there are exceptions, I'm not a psychologist so that's about all I can say about that, but this trendy depression thing has gotten way out of hand.

But there is the other side to the story. What if some people aren't really depressed? What if some are just too introvert, too clearheaded and intelligent to see things for what they are? What if the priorities of some people are not set as low as they are with others? If you had to lead the life of a snail with your intellect and knowledge, would you consider yourself weak when you had to admit to yourself that you hated a life like that?

In regards to those who complain and bring out their "depression" in everything they do, I can agree it's just trendy questing for attention. Still, someone who's had the luck of good friends, family etc supporting them their entire lives, can hardly be called "strong" either. In this case they're just lucky they never had to work for everything on their own for years in a row with no real support from anywhere, only to achieve nothing. Some depressed people really have been in that situation.

In a peanutshell: depression has suffered from a form of inflation where a real problem has become a trend, so much sp that now even those who really have problems aren't taken seriously.

Like I said I don't even believe I'm suffering from depression. I damn well know I'm weak-willed unless my strongest princibles are questioned, but I don't really see a purpose to any of it either. I'd never take meds for something I don't believe in though. :)

[ November 05, 2005, 14:55: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

18. tipperon Gems: 3/31

19. tarneshed_heat Gems: 1/31

very wow. I wouldnt have thought the topic "life" could be summed up in 1 post :eek:

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i don't want to do a whole philosophical thing so this is my take on the whole "meaning of life" thing:

It has the meaning that I choose to give it. I wont bother worrying about my "purpose" or any of that crap. I'll happily grope around in the dark and find my own way, thanks very much. Besides, it's fun. And I know I've got it much better than a whole lot of others so I don't want to spend time complaining if I can avoid it. And whatever any of us has got is probably a hell of a lot better than never existing in the first place, eh? ;) :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.