1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to get 18 in stats & tomes?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by AK_Rooster, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Magnus_G Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] True, they don't *need* int but how do you a roleplay a character, esp. a paladin, when he isn't smart enough to read his holy texts? I can see a berserker or a barbarian having an int less than 5 but not a paladin.

Edit:

Storm - the word you are looking for is moot not mute

[This message has been edited by Magnus_G (edited September 23, 2001).]

2. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IMO the point is mute

3. sorvo Guest

If your playing pnp it would be a different story but this is a crpg Int is only good for spells and lore!

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Yes it might very well "only" be a "C"rpg, But i tend to roleplay my chars as well and i cant do anything with 5 int... I agree with Crawl i dont want to sit around rolling for hours, then id rather just "cheat" myself to balanced stats. As a rule of thumb nothing below 10, preferably 12-13'ish
    But suit yourself, thats just how i play

(and please, AKRoster, write "you" instead of "u" and "your" instead of "ur", it isnt that much more work and it is more pleasing for others to read, thanks)

5. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I have sat for a few minutes and rolled stats, but the only time i've spent some time over it was when i first got the game. These days most of my BG characters are based on RPG characters i've used or have made up to use. Hence their stats are edited.
    There was that one time when i decided to find out how easy the game could be, everyone on max HP's and all 25's for stats. I didn't bother going past the mines as it was starting to send me to sleep;).

6. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I never roll more than 10 times... It doesn't really make that much of a difference if you get 15 or 16 in a stat, and besides, that's pretty much the way Bioware made the game... So, playing bg1 is much more callenging, ie fun, that way, than just powergaming, but yeah, powergaming has been discussed before here. Each to his own.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well the discussion started with Intelligence. For that I agree that an intelligence of 5 is indeed low. You can say that this is just a Crpg but just try to roleplay some more in the game. You could better choose for all stats a little bit lower and then Intelligence on 9 or 10, that is at least average. You even could choose for a lower Dex (do Paladins need a high Dex) and you always could use Gauntlets of Dexterity. You have to learn that it is also cool to have some bad sides, there you can roleplay with. When you'd play D&D you would already be very lucky when you got one 18. Of course I think the main character in the game should be rather good, you are expected to be a hero of the sword coast. But at the other side, have you ever seen a very dumb hero with an intelligence that is far under average. Ok, just take one minut time. Imagine a paladin with a very low intelligence....... no 1 minut 1 said........

Ok, I think you got the point ;) Maybe your Paladin don't need a better intelligence for his spells etc, but you need it for the pictures you have now of him.. in your fantasy.

8. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You are all to too right about the low Intelligence score. By the rule a thinking being must have an Intelligence score of at least 3 or you are considered an animal but by that point you are getting below that or an extremly dumb oger (average intelligence 6) so at 5 you would be at the stage of "Me (instert name), you die!" Not a good thing if you are a well known adventurer. But I will admit I play as a fighter and my intelligence score is regularly below 5.

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

:)Glad that you understand me unless your llow intelligence (;0, ah now I'm mixing up real life and BG-life) The problem is that many people think: I'll just take a low intelligence for it's ust a Computer RPG and the only one who recognizes the problem is me.

10. ywpark89 Guest

I have an inqusitor(a paladin kit) in BG2, exported. his ORGINAL stats are : 18/00, 18, 18, 9, 9, 18.
    even if his WIS is low, it doesn't affect his number of spells at all

11. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If I were to to try add descriptions to the INT stats, they would probably be something like this:

1-3 Moronic.....Can survive, find and feed self, cannot multiply but probably can add numbers up to 10, can carry on a normal social conversation, but not on complex subjects,(like war, politics, religios theory), needs lots of supervision at jobs because of inability ot maintain concentration or relate own experience to current situation, might not always select the "correct" door to leave a room, probably signs name with an 'X'
    4-5 Retarded.....Can more than survive in average social situation, can work in manual labor type jobs under supervision (ex., could work as a bakers assistant if told what to do, can do ditch-digger type labor, probably cannot be a cashier), can learn new things but has trouble remembering or applying lessons in one or more "normal areas (math, reading, speech, etc.), would have significant trouble solving a difficult maze/puzzle, probably can write own name but that's it
    6-8 Slow.....Can be taught most socially required skills with 1-on-1 attention, may have trouble in one or more areas (math, speech, reading, etc.) but less than 3-5 group, can make simple change, can write a misspelled letter, probably needs periodic retraining on certain tasks and skills just to maintain them, has a shorter than average attention span, may be socially inept/inappropriate

9-12....Average (educatable through high school to bachelor's degrees)
    13-15...Smart (advanced university level smarts - generally can be society's doctors, lawyers and other professionally educated individuals)
    16......Really Smart (PhD level intellect)
    17......Near Genius
    18......Genius
    19......Top 1% in the world intellectually
    20......Top 25% of the top 1%
    21......Top 10% of the top 1%
    22......Top 5% of the top 1%
    23......Top 2% of th etop 1%
    24......Top 1% of the top 1%
    25 Maybe 1 out of 1,000,000,000 in the world

And remember that two different people with the same INT stats can still have knowledge, skills, abilities and aptitudes in different areas. Just think of identical twins - one a policeman and one a fireman.

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 05, 2001).]

12. AK_Rooster Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

why are u all wound up with the int thing int doesnt effect them at all in the game only in ur mind besides the character doesnt play him self so forget about his int # and remeber that ur the one controlling everything he says and does ur the char. INT

but if ur really that insecure about it just use shadow keeper to raise it, its not cheating because your char. wont gain anything from it

sorry but thats just how i feel.

13. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, it is true that in BG there is little or no effect for Int on a fighter, having a terrible Int like that is utterly disastrous if you intend to transfer your character to SoA and/or ToB. Int and Wis definitely matter to all characters. Ultimately, it all comes down to whether you think the "RPG" part of the game matters at all. You can play BG like Diablo if you want, but it seems kind of pointless to me. YMMV.

By the way, did you read the Forum Posting Rules? THe following is a quote from them:

"Make sure the headline of your topic is descriptive. Do not make topic headlines like: "A Question", "Please Help", "Read This" and similar. They tell us absolutely nothing about the meaning of your message. Moderators will have to edit such stupid headlines to something related to your post, and we're sure you don't want the moderators to remember you as "that guy/girl who can't even get a headline right".
    No lame "l33t" spelling, not even partial like: "I am about 2 run off 2 the hills 2 see him." or "What do u get if u just take his body 2 the wizards?" Everyone trying to make sense out of such stupid sentences will need twice as long as if you had written "2" as two and "u" as you; the spelling normal people use. You aren't allowed to write like that anywhere else, and public forums are no exception. Not only is it annoying and hard to read, but also makes you look like an idiot since (hopefully) you are the only one in the thread doing it."

Aloha
    Vormaerin

[Thanks for pointing it out, heh. This is what happens when you say you'll fix the headline later but then forget all about it. I've fixed the guy's headline now. As for his lame l33t spelling... I think we told him off a couple of times but he seems slow on the uptake.] -Tal

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited October 07, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.