1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

9/11 4 years ago

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by grillen, Sep 11, 2005.

1. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It is the aniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the US. I remember I was in my first year of high school when it happened and we all went home early that day. Personally I felt that our government failed us then and again now because of hurricane Katrina.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I was thinking of starting a topic like this myself. I find it odd that a major (preventable) disaster happened in the fall of the first year of each of Bush's terms. How coincidental...

3. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

it shows buch is bad luck for the US

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How exactly is a force 4 hurricane preventable?

5. Felinoid

@BTA:
    The 'disaster' part may not have been preventable (...yet) but the 'major' part most certainly was. Though I know W himself had little to do with it, the levees should have been built properly.

@grillen:
    Exactly. :pope:

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    4 years ago on this day, I was sitting in my MS Networking class when someone popped their head in the door and told us to turn on the TV, and that something terrible had happened. For the rest of the class, we watched as the towers fell.

And then our teacher told us he was quitting to work at the Intel building. :bang: :rolling:

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

4 years ago, I woke up and turned on my usual sports radio station. They discussing some rugby game but kept saying that they felt bad talking about sports given what was happening on the other side of the world. I had no idea what they were referring to, so I turned on the TV in time to see the first tower fall down. At the time, the news stations were having us believe that World War III was about to start.

Anyway, much as I don’t like Bush, I think it’s a bit harsh to hold him solely responsible for terrorists crashing into a building, or for a hurricane hitting New Orleans…..

8. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It was my second day of class in my first year of university, and I remember going to the first floor of the library, where they had set up a TV. I didn't know what was going on, but I remember feeling shocked at how far the world had fallen.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm afraid a force 4 hurricane is quite a major disaster in and of itself if you consider the destruciton of the towers on 9/11 a major disaster; and it was the direct cause of the flooding that compounded disaster.

10. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

It is a pity 9/11 has not taught a valueable lesson to the US and the West, and they still support muslim radicals in Chechenia and Albania/Bosnia. I dont think the British learned much as well... Facilitating terrorist propaganda with TV broadcasts with the likes of Shamil Basayev is not a good way to combat terrorism.
    Also, if the West was a bit more cooperative, extracting criminals such as Ilyas Akhmadov and Akhmed Zakayev, there could be a joint operation to deal with these fanatics, after all, we have a long experience in dealing with these terrorist, which would certainly give us both gain.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man, we're not going down THAT route again, are we? The World Trade Centre fell down because some lunatics hijacked a plane and flew it into the buildings. No matter what US foreign policy is, it's going to annoy SOMEBODY. It just so happens that this time, it annoyed someone who was nuts enough to pull off this audacious and destructive act.

12. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

On 9/11 I was sitting in my 5th grade class, doing math and the principal came in and whispered to the teacher. Our teacher cried. Her sister worked in one of the towers. WE are in PEI in Canada.

After School, my cousin phoned me and said that 8 planes had crashed into the Empire State Building.

He was wrong. :(

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was having my hair done. I have kin and friends in NYC. The response of the rescue teams was excellent and are only to be praised.

14. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I was getting ready to head off to school when I saw on the news that one of the WTC buildings was on fire. At first I thought it was a simple accident or something and then I saw, live on TV, the second plane hit the other tower.

This is the kind of thing you would never expect to happen in your lifetime... and you'd never expect to see it live.

15. Felinoid

I was in class at high school. The teachers in the Teachers' Lounge saw it first and started spreading the word around the school. Everyone gathered around the nearest TV, and we just watched for what seemed like hours on end. The rest of the day is just a blur.

16. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd moved back in with my folks not a week prior, and was getting in a few extra hours of sleepy-time before I headed off to school, when my mother stuck her head in my door and said - I'll never forget this - "Andy, wake up - terrorists have just attacked New York City." I got up, went to the TV, and watched as the news anchor (can't remember which one) was saying they weren't 100% sure at that point if it was a freak accident or a terrorist attack, but hopefully they would know soon.

About 2 minutes later, all doubt was removed. I still remember my mom, covering her mouth and gasping out loud as the 2nd plane hit.

I missed class that day.

17. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You didnt get my point. I said the US, and the West, are not fighting muslim extremism as it should be dealt.
    Dont expect that supporting them in Chechenia and Bosnia/Albania is going to easy their hunger and fanaticism.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was at work, and someone announced that a plane crashed into one of the blocks (we though stupid pilot at first), but a few minutes later another plane hit a tower block. It was a very strange day.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm - grade 7, we were playing handball (which I think you foreigners know as 'four square') when somebody mentioned it. We stopped playing and discussed, then came to the general consensus that whoever had done it was going to get pwned by America.
    ... it still hasn't happened ...

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I was on my way home from work when i whitnessed hordes of Moroccans celebrating and cheering in the streets. i didn't know what the occasion was, and i remember thinking first that maybe they won an important footballmatch or something. Then i came home and turned on the TV, and saw what happened, and i realised they were actually celebrating the fall of the twin towers. I also remember that i had a hard time getting a grip on my emotions and not go outside to blow a few holes in the first celebrating Arab that crossed my path. It was also amazing that the police didn't interfere and beat the living crap out of them. The law has changed since then, but it's still striking to see how far both cultures have grown apart.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.