1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Orleans

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Bion, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If Global warming is responsible for the heavy hurricane seasons we've seen in the last two years, then why have typhoons in the Pacific and Tsunamis in the Indian been at record lows? Last year's tsunami was devastating mostly from the standpoint of location rather than magnitude.

I think local weather conditions are far more responsible for the hurricanes in the Carribbean and Gulf. Global warming is a convenient catch all blame point.

**goes back to playing frisbee with his "Day After Tomorrow" DVD**

Oh, and as Blackthorne already reminded you...don't drag politics into this thread by discussing President George W. Bush (I assume that's who you meant by "Bushy-Boy"). If you wish to discuss the Administration and it's relative success or failure in this catastrophy, you can join the thread in AoLS.

2. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I was particulary disturbed when W., addressing the people whom have lost half of their loves and all of their property, decided to make a joke about how he used to get drunk in Houston.

:nuts:

"Let them eat cake..."

Edit...

Oh jeeze...sorry HS...just posted after skimming...

3. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

*Thinks for a while*

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't last year's tsunami result of some sort of earthquake underwater or whatnot?

And I do believe global warming does have an effect on hurricanes and such, the warmer the worse.

Hopefully people with take this disaster as a lesson, in preparing and dealing with those that will happen in the future. And I agree, the social situation in New Orleans must have been pretty bad, but then again, it is in most places now a-days.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

One point I've seen on this topic that I hadn't thought of. Someone here mentioned the Logistics (I think it was T2Bruno). I don't think that the people were adequately prepared for this because we DON'T know what to do. We don't know how to get the supplies into the worst of the area, we don't know how to evacuate a whole state in the amount of time that was given as a warning. Sure you can blame the politicians for underestimating the risks involved (not trying to go to politics here, but it plays it's part), but the people do need to be educated on emergency management. They need to learn things from personal preparedness (my religion has been pushing 72 hour backpacks for a couple years now) to what to do when **** happens to your community (ranging from first aid to rescue and shelter).

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

source

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2004/0116westcoast.html

The Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO), is a naturally occuring cycle lasting 50 years from Cold to Hot and back to Cold again. Since the 1998 El-Nino it has entered and is currently in, it's "negative cool phase". Global warming is not yet at a level where it will totally mess up such patterns.
    As Eldular pointed out, Tsunami are not related to weather paterns but to events which cause large displacements of water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami
    The Eastern seaboard of the USA could be wiped out if certain events happen in the Canary Islands for example.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Tsunamis may not be caused by climate change, but their impact on coastal regions is increased by our careless behaviour. Intact coral reefs ward off the floods caused by tsunamis. However, the corals are dying due to changes of climate, namely that the water temperature is too high for them to survive. Mangroves (and similar natural buffer zones) would absorb some of the flood waves' strength. However, the mangroves (or swamps, marshes etc) are cut down.

We destroy nature's defenses against such disasters. We mistreat, in turn we are being mistreated. Due to an outrageous and shortsighted environment policy I cant say it is undeserved. The unfair part is that the people who pay the price are the last to blame for policies.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree with Dendri. We are not good care-takers of Gaia.

The behavior in NO doesn't suprise me. I'm sure it started mainly as a survival thing. No one was helping them so they helped themselves. Then it escalted to the point that it hindered those who were trying to help.

10. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

True - some people might have begun it to keep themselves alive, but for some it degenerated in lawlessness and feeling of power.

11. Fhjull Forked-Tongue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!
    This is just another lesson for us....
    we were not prepared, we knew it could happen, our government would rather spend money on space exploration or some other useless money suck hole than to be prepared

Where are all those countries we helped out over the last decade?

We need to mind our own buisness and to hell with the rest of the world who doesn't appreciate our help or don't want it anyway we are the great satan

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are many ways Bush has been squandering money, each of them infinitely more wasteful than money spent on space exploration. But that's another topic.

And practically every country out there has already pledged to send support or money - only I've heard that Bush has refused most of it in the "we don't need your help - we'll take care of our own" style. But then, the same thing happened with many Asian countries after the tsunami. No matter what, arrogance always prevails over common sense in some countries' politics.

13. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The latest on who is sending aid

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From this statement I can't figure out if he is accepting aid or not accepting it. If he is accepting aid then now is the time. People are dying.

15. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Check the link Nakia -- it lays it out.

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

:toofar: If that's true, he should be impeached immediately! There's no excuse for refusing desperately needed help when lives are on the line.

17. Nakia

Media:
    @Spellbound: I did check the link. Maybe I'm just slow today but I still don't understand what he is saying. I did a web search and all I feel is sad, disgusted and angry.

18. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

http://www.nzz.ch/2005/09/05/eng/article6061254.html

And there's a fleet of oil-tankers coming from Amsterdam

http://www.eubusiness.com/afp/050902114927.habb8arv

[ September 05, 2005, 21:15: Message edited by: Iago ]

19. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Even Fidel Castro (3000 doctors and food) and Chavez (200000 oil barrels) has offered help few days back,(both of them didn't get any answer yet) we got the new today at morning: 'Bush finally ask for help, after a week'.
    I just can't believe that there are so many people lying in that stadium starving, about to die just because they don't have anything to eat or even to drink, I just can't believe it. I am seeing the news and I see Bush visiting the people, signing shirts... that, IMO, is not help, instead, bring some food.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm sure NZ has offered some aid as well. Is there any update on why a load of food hasn't just been helicoptered in? All the news we get here is about how the USA is leaving all its poor people to die. Can that possibly be true? It sounds impossible to me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.