1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The World We Live In...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just thought I'd tell you guys something. I was walking home from a night out last night. I was walking down quite a busy road, with taxis flying up and down all the time and a busy pub opposite. I was texting my mate on my phone, then these 2 youths - one with a knife - just snatched my phone and ran off up a side street. A nearly brand new Samsung D500, I'm absolutely gutted.
    Also, the sim card is a contract sim I've had for years, so it's got loads of numbers on. Now I've lost them all :( .

I'm absolutely gutted. Youths today aren't bothered it seems. A busy road, opposite a busy pub on a Saturday night and they'll still rob you blind.

What pisses me off, is that my new £350 Samsung D500 will proably be sold for £50 to pay for some smackheads next hit.

Absolutely gutted.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Barmy, that's really rough. I'd be gutted too. I have no idea what a Samsung D500 is but it sounds pretty flash (much flasher than mine, anyway)

But I don't think it's a sign of the times. People have been robbed on the streets for centuries. I refuse to believe that it's any more dangerous today than it was 10, 20, or 50 years ago.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Cutting hands off comes to mind.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, I rang the police and got a crime reference number. Hopefully, Vodafone might send me a new one.

If only I had a way of catching them, Chev.

Next time I'm getting a taxi, believe.

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That sucks, but an easy target, you should know better though man. I wouldn't have walked home on my own if I could help it.

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm ... Chavs ...

Can't stand them. They can't speak properly, Can't think properly, Can't even fight properly and I absolutely detest them. A Waste of space.

As you can guess, I'm not exactly on the best terms with most people that are, well, chavs lol

I'm surprised that they even have the intelligence to speak somewhat coherantly.

I'll be quiet now before I begin ranting

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Heh, pretty daring of them. Being robbed is never fun, of course, but for them to risk being smashed to face and taken off by a police for prosecution... Well, very daring. In that situation I would had looked for the nearest brick and asked for some of those pubbers to come with me for some old fashioned punishment. :evil:

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Losing the SIM card is the worst part. All the numbers - gone. I should know, I lost mine twice!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would have thought that almost being beaten senseless in the street (which could have happened if they'd been in a different mood) would have been the worst part.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Kids these days are stupid. Period.

When I go out late in a neighborhood that I don't know, I always pack a knife. If someone tries anything nasty with me, I'll return the favor. :grr: :rolling:

11. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Phone snatching is prevalent here as well. That's why people here don't take out their phones just anywhere. You can try having the phone blocked so no one can use it. I'm not sure how it's done. You can ask your provider. One creative guy sent a message to his phone saying he won a million bucks in a contest. All he had to do to claim it was to show the message when he got to the company's office. He showed up and was promptly arrested. :D

12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Isn't there a number you can use to immobilise the phone?

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The sim card, yeah. But then they will take the sim card out and sell the phone without it. We used to have such petty muggers here who would take the card out and give it to you when taking the phone.

The mighty problem with chavs and other such svoloch is the so called stressless upbringing. No spanking, no prohibitions, being tolerant of the child's differing "views" and so on. If you don't put the kids in line, they won't do the job for you. The result is people being completely unable to restrict themselves in any way or deliver whatever they are supposed to. They can't obey the law, they can't keep a promise, they can't stay faithful in a relationship... et cetera et cetera. That's one thing, being violent is another. Of course. But physical strength or even illusion of it (such as a knife) fills the gap.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sorry to hear that Barmy, these chav/spide bastards are everywhere. If only the government would have more police officers at home, rather than have people fight for an unjust war...

@Chev, I can see your point, but people make their own decisions, so its not just the parents fault, but having said that, a good slap is in order sometimes.

15. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

My mate got mugged when he was out getting his dinner for him and his missus, the really crazy thing was that it was the dinner they wanted! Two chavs mugged my mate for a simple curry! Madness!

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, everywhere is the same: at my job there were 3 people robed last week, one of them the movile, the other his wallet (while he was waiting the subway and putting his ticket in it) and the other her bag; the problem here is that this kind of thieves are always the same: kids from 12 to 16 and they are all from Rumania, Bosnia and all those countries around, they have no legal spanish identification and they can't be arrested because they are too young; spanish kids don't go around stealing, here in Catalonia we have this kids pretending to be Catalonian, not Spaniards or like the kids from Euskadi pretending to be Euskadian not Spanish (those from ETA), so they go around fighting, crashing cars with licence plate with the Spain symbol, etc.; we also have Latin kids, they fight their own fight between them and also stealing and beating people on the metro stations (one of the 'conflict point' is one block from my home); finally, there are those kids that get drunk and smoke drugs, and if you pass close to them and just look at them, they ask you money and if you don't have you better run as fast as you can because they chase you and steal you clothes and shoes.
    What police do? Well, they say that there's nothing they can do because they are too young to be in jail, so they can kill (7 killed this year) and they get nothing but a year at some correctional and that's all.
    I forgot to mention: my girfriend was robbed by a kid 2 days ago, it was 7:20 PM, daytime, 20 mts from home, she was coming back home and 3 kids that smoke hachis in the park down our building everyday grabbed her bag and got away, police said that they'll do the best they can but they can't promise anything.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I hope you actually know how to use that weapon, or you're going to end up a hell of a lot worse off than you would've been otherwise.

Er...how old are these killers, exactly? If they're over, like, 10, that's absolutely insane.

18. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't want to leave this uncommented:

I think that most sociologists agree that violence is nurtured in violent surroundings. People who have been beaten by their parents tend to beat their own children. People who have been abused tend to become molesters themselves. Teens who experienced violence from others tend to deal violence themselves. chevalier's plan will worsen the situation, plain and simple.

Apart from that - being robbed is not only difficult in terms of losing money and stuff; it's extremely humiliating as well, right? Feeling helpless, impotent. It's sad, Barmy Army.

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

No, I meant the whole mobile phone.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/stolengoods5.htm

You have to know the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) handset number, have to admit, I don't know mine.

Edit: (But I do now)

Do this folks, it will mean the end of mobile phone thefts.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    As a parent I can tell you that there is a world of difference betweeen a spanking and beating your children

I'm with Chev on this one. Many parents do not hold their "precious darlings" accountable for anything.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.